Blair security costs under scrutiny

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maguire, Jul 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - Tony Blair police protection costs under scrutiny

'Police protection for former prime ministers should not cost anything more "than is absolutely necessary", Foreign Secretary William Hague has said.
    It follows newspaper reports that Tony Blair's bodyguards are costing taxpayers £250,000 a year in expenses.
    The Mail on Sunday claims officers are staying in "five-star luxury" on Mr Blair's holiday and business trips.
    Mr Blair's office rejected calls for him to pay policing costs, arguing he spent most of his time on unpaid work.
    This included projects in Africa, his role as a Middle East peace envoy for the Quartet powers - the EU, the UN, the US and Russia - and his faith and sports foundations. ' (my underlining).

Now, I dont dispute he's entitled to protection as a former PM - but if he wants to gad about the globe under the aegis of the UN and his 'charity foundations', then surely they should be chipping in a few quid for his dubious services, no? quite apart from the millions he's picking up from gullible yanks on the lecture circuit.
  2. Already a live fish this one mcguire, You may want to have a gander here
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

aye, just seen. had a look but couldnt see anything straight off the bat.

I blame this new layout... ;)