Blair says Falklands War was right

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by Vimeiro, Mar 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can think of the platform I would like to see him on. With the approach of the 25th anniversary, he's even trying to steal something from the Falklands War to boost his already inflated ego.

I just wish he'd been Bob Woolmer's room mate.

2. My dad was in the Falklands and he told me it was right,as we were taking back something that was ours from the Argies,the Falklands was never Argie so why do they think its theres?

3. Blairs father also fought in the Falklands... his name was Senor Gomez back then.

4. Hopefully he was on the Blegrano.

5. 'High casualties

He noted that the British casualty figures were higher than those for the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan'

Of course he would, wonder when that one is going to creep up in his farewell speach?

He obviously has no idea what sort of campaign it was. There were no tanks, MLRS etc - only soldiers on foot, walking a bloody long way over mountains and through marshes and finally making contact with light support and the metal at the end of a rifle.

I suppose in 25 years who-ever is in charge will look back and say: 'well the current conflict we are fighting hasn't killed as many as Iraq/Afghan.', then again - we'll probably still be there in 25 years.

6. It is amazing that Bliar has finally come to the conclusion the rest of the country came to....in 1982!!!

I can't believe you can be so cynical!! Not that that was the first thing to enter into my head as well!!! :thumleft:

7. He realy is a co~ck next the septics will be saying how they helped us win the isles back .... there is no low that Bliar will not stoop too

8. I am amazed that he hasn't apologised for our outrageous Imperialism....

9. Surprised he hasn't apolgiesed to all the Argies and families of those Argies who were killed.

I suppose that is WMFs job though. She is probably getting ready to take a few veterans to court wrt sinking the Belgrano and shooting planes down or something.

Ref teh Argies claim. Unfortuanatly, the Spanish gave them a letter which basically said, everything in the area that WAS Spanish was now Argie. This would include only one island of the Falklands two big ones, and not include South Goergia.

Unfortunatly, the Brits had long since taken over all of the Islands, as the Spanish had left them years prior to the Argies gaining their own country.

Hence the claim.

They also claim that the Islands are part of one of their mountain ranges, even though they are far outside the 12 mile boundary of their waters.

Basaically they are bonkers.

10. Apparantly he picked Up H Jones Fallen SMG, charged an Argentine Trench and was instrumental in 2 Paras victory at Goose green.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well if you look at the history the Argies have not got an unreasonable claim to the islands. The problem arises because they simply cannot grasp the idea of self determination for the islanders which goes against our feelings of fair play.

My other half is an Argie and an otherwise intelligent and educated woman who goes spastic and loses the capability of rational thought when you talk of the "Malvinas". It's a passion for those islands that I really cannot get my head around, its deeply inside them and hard to fathom for me.

I agree though we were entirely right to go down there in '82 and kick the dago b@stards out, current squeeze not withstanding. :threaten:

12. I quite like the last paragraph of the article....

The head of Argentina 's military junta, General Leopoldo Galtieri, was deposed and served three years in prison for military incompetence. He died in 2003.

What a pity that we don't send people to prison for "miltary incompetence". Surely we could think of a few that should go down for a year or two!

13. Do you think the Argies will try it again soon,if they do i think the FDF will give them a battering i doubt it thogh they dont want another arse kicking.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I don't think they've the appetite for another punch up. The defeat in '82 has deeply scarred their national psyche and their culture is very macho so the possibility of another humiliating defeat scares the shit out of them.