Blair orders review of Armed Forces pay and conditions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Drone_pilot, Oct 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tony Blair has ordered a review of the whole support package available to
    Armed Forces personnel, Downing Street said today.

The disclosure follows calls for servicemen and women to be exempt from
    income tax while serving abroad, amid claims that some troops are being paid
    less than the minimum wage of £5.35 an hour.

Daily Mail read More

anyone remember when NI pay was first introduced 0.50 a day :x

2. Also on BBC. BBC report

So the lads get paid well compared to NATO and Commonwealth countries?

That will be Turkey, Pakistan, and some crappy little island in the middle of the Pacific then?

3. "Our troops do pay tax and in exchange they get better welfare, better pensions and free healthcare on the NHS, which is not offered in the U.S."

Quoted from the MOD spokesperson.

Of course we get free healthcare just the same as any other UK citizen. US soldiers on deployment get free helathcare for their families so a real no brainer.
    Better welfare - my aarse having been to IZ our welfare pails in comparison - 1 x 20 min free phone call - US get unlimited free calls - they have to book them and q but we've all had to wait for the sat phone.

Smoke and mirrors i say.

4. Can one of our Septic cousins please confirm this? I was under the distinct impression that having served, apart from getting paid through college (worth about 50,000 USD), Veterans were allowed onto military bases to take advantage of meals and the shops. I also believed that they had free access to service medical centres and hospitals until they died.

So a friendly and knowledgeable Yank please post the correct information so we can compare and contrast what the UK soldier gets?

5. I hear there might be something about this on BFBS Radio 2, Glen Mansell Show, some time after 1615 today Monday. Should be possible to listen online (BFBS website), as well as in garrison areas worldwide.

6. Yep and the rate is 40% (its my 2nd job)

No welfare

No pension (I'm casual labour)

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It's only 40% if you earn enough to put yourself into that bracket! You can still get your excess NI payments back (as they are removed at source) and I have done that for many years. As for Pensions, do what I and many others have done, also for many years - take out a private pension scheme agaist your TA earnings - perfectly legal, and can be offset against tax.

Back to the main thread - why is every poster assuming that this is a good thing? In my experience, when a Government orders a review of pay and conditions, it doesn't necessarily mean an increase is on the cards - these reviews can bite both ways :twisted:

8. Old Snowy is quite right.

More often than not the only people who have ever benefited from a review ordered by the government,have been in the house of commons anyway!

Every-one else,that i can think of, has been royally shafted.
    I hope i am incorrect in this case,but time will tell if the president Bliar is trying to do another last shafting before he goes.

9. How do you do this?

Who can advise? Please don't say RAO, as my unit does'nt have a working one!

10. I've got a nasty feeling that non operational personnel are about to loose their x factor! Call me cynical, but I can see something like that happening. Final salary pensions anyone?

11. Agreed it may not be a good thing but it would take a politician with BIG cahoonas to run down more mil pay (or someone just about to leave - oh yeah)
    M is now officially worried

12. You know they will come out with the usual shite. They forget that the forces are enduring an enduring op tempo consistently above and beyond the planning assumptions we are funded and equipped for as well as having our harmony guidelines laughed at.

I am currently working in a major US/coalition HQ. I was comparing my pension rights with those of a US colleague who will retire on 3 x my pension in a country where the cost of living is considerably lower and the perks of being a veteran are greater than a right to sleep rough.

This Government has consistently shown itself to be morally bankrupt in its support of the military and no doubt they will come out with some more contrite waffle to justify feck all.

MOD line is: "A 2005 AFPRB Report, researching the remuneration packages offered by 12 Commonwealth and NATO countries found that only Canada offered higher base pay for certain ranks. When the total package was considered, the UK package was slightly less favourable than Australia and France, broadly in line with most ranks in the USA, Ireland and Canada and ahead of the other seven countries."

Makes you wonder what in the world of 'broadly in line with' means - Any guesses, I will start the bidding at 5% worse off or is it a parallel to John Reid and the statement on the Afghan mission where he though 'not a round would be fired' which is braodly in line with the 400,000+ so far expended; or is that an example of 'slightly less favourable'?

Which seven countires are we better off than, Burundi, Bhutan, Tibet, Mongolia?

Are they comparing like with like? Are these nations matching out op tempo with 17% deployed on ops and 35% tied to ops when the pre-deployment and post tour leave is factored in as stated in the last CGS Briefing summary. I seem to remember the US military working on a maximum feasible level of 11% deployed on ops. Are these 7 nations breaking on a routine basis their harmony guidelines that are part of that much vaunted package? Does the X factor actually count for anything? Is the MoD factoring in MHS as a plus or minus point in the 'package' - seems to me to be a frigging massively negative one and I don't have to suffer the issues of it, only have to listento my soldiers who do.

RANT over :x

13. Clearly Bliar has not heard of the US veterans Administration.They have their own hospitals as well!

www.va.gov

quote="machiavelli"]"Our troops do pay tax and in exchange they get better welfare, better pensions and free healthcare on the NHS, which is not offered in the U.S."

Quoted from the MOD spokesperson.

Of course we get free healthcare just the same as any other UK citizen. US soldiers on deployment get free helathcare for their families so a real no brainer.
    Better welfare - my aarse having been to IZ our welfare pails in comparison - 1 x 20 min free phone call - US get unlimited free calls - they have to book them and q but we've all had to wait for the sat phone.

Smoke and mirrors i say.[/quote]

14. Is this not just a Blair knee jerk reaction to the golden boy Camerons comments regarding deployed troops getting tax free pay whilst on Ops?

Sure I heard that today on the wireless..

15. It is good to see that on day 3,440 of his reign, the Emperor Bliar has taken time off from admiring his new clothes and has turned his attention to an issue which was quite pressing when he first reached the top of the greasy pole!

I can see him sat in his bath this morning musing.."Something must be done..."