Blair: No plans to send more British troops to Iraq

We've already mentioned the planned withdrawal of certain other national contingents in the British-led MND, particularly the Dutch force, and implications for the Japanese contingent at Samawah.

Wednesday January 19, 11:08 PM
Britain not to send more troops to Iraq

(Kyodo) _ Prime Minister Tony Blair said Wednesday there are no plans to send more British troops to Iraq after several European countries have completed their planned troop withdrawals in the British-controlled sector.

Asked his view on the Dutch, Portuguese and Czech withdrawals, Blair said, "There aren't any plans to expand the British contribution."

"It is correct those countries which had a time limited commitment to Iraq will, in accordance with that commitment, withdraw their troops at a certain point after the election," he said. "But at the same time, what is happening is that the Iraqis' own capability is being developed the whole time."

Blair told the House of Commons that Britain will withdraw its troops once Iraq's own capability is "sufficiently robust."

Dutch forces are currently providing security for the southern Iraqi city of Samawah where around 600 Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force personnel are currently carrying out humanitarian and reconstruction work.

In November, the Dutch government decided to withdraw its troops in Iraq by March 15 at the latest.

Britain says no decision has been made yet on the size and composition of a replacement force for the Dutch troops. The Defense Ministry has assured that security will be provided for Samawah once the Dutch force has left.
source http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050119/kyodo/d87n7g200.html

U.K. - AFP
Britain offers to ensure safety of Japanese troops in Iraq: Koizumi
Thu Jan 20,10:59 AM ET

TOKYO (AFP) - Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said Britain had offered to ensure the safety of Japanese troops in southern Iraq (news - web sites) after the Dutch soldiers currently protecting the Japanese contingent pull out.

Koizumi said he got the pledge from British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, who is currently in Japan on a two-day visit.

While noting that the Japanese troops were taking their own safety measures, Koizumi said Straw had told him Britain would offer "all-out cooperation" because it was in charge of security in southeastern Iraq.

About 550 Japanese troops are on a non-combat, humanitarian mission in Samawa in the southern province of Muthana in Japan's first military deployment since 1945 to a country where there is active fighting.

But they are barred by Japan's US-imposed pacifist constitution of 1947 from firing their weapons except in self-defense.

Koizumi in December extended the controversial mission for another year.

The 1,300 Dutch troops in charge of the security of Japanese troops are scheduled to finish their mission and leave Iraq by mid-March.
source http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=6&u=/afp/20050120/wl_uk_afp/japanbritainiraq

Far more significant is the near collapse of the CS Div. The Ukrainians are leaving shortly, the Poles keep threatening to leave and if I understand correctly they will be leaving in May.

Polish friends have told me the reason for committing troops was for the opportunities to be involved reconstruction. (An acceptable use of your soliders - prostitutes to US Army whilst your private companies go and grab the cash from the Yanks.)

Sadly, the Poles are very upset that they have not won any major contracts and the troops have had some bad days at the hands of the Mechdi Army. The population is desperate for the troops to come home. No contracts...No Troops seems to the logic.

With the Poles, Ukrainians, Spanish et al now leavening or gone from CS Div. A minimum of a Bde+, if not a Div- will be need to fill the gap. I wonder if TCH can find way of stretch the UK AOR??
:twisted:

Jailorinummqasr said:
Far more significant is the near collapse of the CS Div. The Ukrainians are leaving shortly, the Poles keep threatening to leave and if I understand correctly they will be leaving in May.

Polish friends have told me the reason for committing troops was for the opportunities to be involved reconstruction. (An acceptable use of your soliders - prostitutes to US Army whilst your private companies go and grab the cash from the Yanks.)

Sadly, the Poles are very upset that they have not won any major contracts and the troops have had some bad days at the hands of the Mechdi Army. The population is desperate for the troops to come home. No contracts...No Troops seems to the logic.

With the Poles, Ukrainians, Spanish et al now leavening or gone from CS Div. A minimum of a Bde+, if not a Div- will be need to fill the gap. I wonder if TCH can find way of stretch the UK AOR??
:twisted:
Yes, and I recall that the Poles and other MND CS nations (along with the Brits) were singled out for criticism by that cnut David Hackworth ("America's Most Decorated Soldier") in his "Coalition of the Chilling Out" piece a while back.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/...and=viewone&op=t&id=97&rnd=303.10364705308035

Nice way to make the Poles feel it was all worthwhile.

Hackle,

Thanks for the link! I am going to do some Yank Baiting in a minute elsewhere. Also I'll have to ask my in-laws if they are happy picking up the tab in $ and manpower when the coalition goes home. They already complain about high taxes and no exit stratergy. $1Bn a day and climbing.

Jes' this guy has a screw loose, mind you some of his points might be valid if he explained about diffrenet ROEs and that most civilised nations respect the Hague Convention and do not use 'Area Fire' in the vercinity of civilians....

I'll go elsewhere, before moderater has a dig at me :twisted: :evil:

tomahawk6 said:
Iraqi troops and police will be able to fill the gaps in the Polish led division AOR.
And politicians will tell the truth, the pope will become an atheist and I will personally demonstrate how to nail jelly to the ceiling.

msr

I think the Iraqi police and military could take over the UK area entirely as the area seems to be stable. It's the Sunni areas that are beyond the ability of the Iraqi forces to control. This would send a powerful message that Iraq isnt being occupied.

MND (S) and (CS) stable. :?: I not sure where you get that information from. :!: It is quieter than up north; but I am not sure that they are quiet ready to be left without squaddies to hold hands with.

Back in a mo looking for link.

tomahawk6 said:
I think the Iraqi police and military could take over the UK area entirely as the area seems to be stable. It's the Sunni areas that are beyond the ability of the Iraqi forces to control. This would send a powerful message that Iraq isnt being occupied.
They're stable as they think they'll get exactly what they want from the election. If they don't then stand by .... (The cynic would hope that they want exactly what the US wants to avoid unpleasantness)

Plus we've shot a lot less of them unnecessarily.

Latest Threads