Blair "could face war crimes charges"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony Blair could face war crimes charges as a result of the Iraq war inquiry report, the House of Lords has been told.

Lord Dykes of Harrow Weald, a Liberal Democrat peer, claimed that the publication of the inquiry by Sir John Chilcot was being delayed “to prolong the agony” of the former Labour Prime Minister.

Lord Hurd – who as Douglas Hurd was Conservative foreign secretaryfrom 1989 to 1995 – said the delay was now "becoming a scandal".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ld-face-war-crimes-charges-over-Iraq-War.html
Anyone taking odds on nothing coming of this?

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
...When Nelson gets his eye back..

ACAB

LE
Politically, he is a pariah.

Who knows though one can but hope.

total_arrse

Old-Salt
It'll never happen, but it would be a good propaganda/scapegoat type malarky, showing the arab world and mainly the nutters that we art holier than thou, we hang draw and quarter our own when they done bad. and blair done bad. Look at what happened to marine A or whatever he was called. Hauled right over the coals for executing a baddie.

ACAB

LE
It'll never happen,

You know what, I would normally agree with that sentiment BUT these are rumblings from the House of Lords. I just wonder if a decision has been made in light of the Chilcott Report (They've seen it, we haven't) to throw the tosser to the wolves?

I fkn wish!

If it was just him and he was punished, great, but it was parliament that atheist it, but based on his fibs, so that should be the charge lieing to parliament...

Just need to be aware of the outcome, if found guilty, UK could be liable to billions and billions in damages..... then we will be stuffed.....

Truxx

LE
Blair wouldn't have taken decisions on Iraq alone so if he's going down, he won't be going down alone. The prospect of putting his cabinet and the British General Staff in the dock will be enough to kill the idea.

Quite.................

Wistful thinking in my view. Prosecuting a former Prime Minister for something he did while in office just isn't going to happen. It would have the whole country writhing in accusation and counter accusation right across the establishment. The whole world would be a witness to a massive can of worms.

Is that really a sensible thing to allow

Very difficult both politically and diplomatically to put a former premier on trial for anything but a purely personal crime - as said above, he won't go down alone and any half decent legal team would make sure his co-defendants were either very high profile or cannon fodder, or both.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Teflon Tone will only get community service even if he's found guilty, his solicitor will be, of course:
images (2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads