Blair condemns England attacks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5101184.stm
England shirt attacks condemned
Attacks on a seven-year-old boy and 41-year-old man while wearing England shirts in Scotland are being treated as football-related racist assaults.

Politicians and police have condemned the attacks in Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Primary schoolboy Hugo Clapshaw was punched in a park in Edinburgh and disabled man Ian Smith was badly bruised after being hit in Aberdeen.

Hugo told BBC Scotland: "I just felt this big whack and I started crying. His eyes looked very fierce."

Hugo, a New Zealander who has lived in Edinburgh for two years with his family, said: "He whacked me on the head very very hard and it's left a big bruise.

"It was maybe because I had an England shirt on. He told my dad I should be supporting Scotland not England. It was serious because it was a big shock and very painful."

Hugo had been playing with his family in Edinburgh's Inverleith Park on Saturday afternoon when he was punched by a man thought to be aged between 24 and 30.

His father Damon, 34, who was also assaulted, said the man had been wearing a Rangers top.

He said: "Hugo still wants to wear his England top to support a British team. He's a kilted Kiwi."
So it takes a 7 year old boy to talk some fcuking sense. He wore an England top, though he lives in Scotland, because he "wanted to support a British team".

Puts all this infantile Scotland/England rivalry into perspective doesn't it.

spuncan said:
Attacks on a seven-year-old boy and 41-year-old man while wearing England shirts in Scotland are being treated as football-related racist assaults.

Primary schoolboy Hugo Clapshaw was punched in a park in Edinburgh and disabled man Ian Smith was badly bruised after being hit in Aberdeen.

Hugo told BBC Scotland: "I just felt this big whack and I started crying. His eyes looked very fierce."

Hugo, a New Zealander who has lived in Edinburgh for two years with his family, said: "He whacked me on the head very very hard and it's left a big bruise.

"It was maybe because I had an England shirt on. He told my dad I should be supporting Scotland not England. It was serious because it was a big shock and very painful."

Hugo had been playing with his family in Edinburgh's Inverleith Park on Saturday afternoon when he was punched by a man thought to be aged between 24 and 30.

His father Damon, 34, who was also assaulted, said the man had been wearing a Rangers top.

He said: "Hugo still wants to wear his England top to support a British team. He's a kilted Kiwi."
So it takes a 7 year old boy to talk some fcuking sense. He wore an England top, though he lives in Scotland, because he "wanted to support a British team".

Funny how the piece of human scum who punched a little kid was wearing a Glasgow Rangers top, you know, that well known bunch of proddie b@stards that love to wave the UNION flag, particularly at Old Firm matches. The tw@t must be really proud of himself!

The point is that some scumbags attacked people who are not able to defend themselves.

Whether they were right or wrong or just plain suicidal in the first place is not an issue.

How convenient to whip up more bad feeling and how convenient that Bliar decided to stick his nose in.

Haven't they got enough problems without him trying to help?

Like him, I'm sure plenty will be trying to exploit this.

Which makes them almost as bad as the scumbags in my mind.

Apropos Bliar jumping on yet another populist bandwagon, I'd just like to quote Lord Ramsbotham: "I just wish he'd shut up, frankly". Much sense, as always from the former General David!

I find it pathetic that this anti England setiment now results in 7 year old children being attacked

Maybe just maybe some of our posters north of the border who posted anti English comments on here might read back to their posts and take a moment to reflect, is this attacker the type of person you want to be associated with ? Of course some will try and turn it around and claim they are the victims and not actually come out and condemn whats happened.

Then again others might just seek to avoid the issue and blame the government......

cambrai said:
I find it pathetic that this anti England setiment now results in 7 year old children being attacked

Maybe just maybe some of our posters north of the border who posted anti English comments on here might read back to their posts and take a moment to reflect, is this attacker the type of person you want to be associated with ?
Thank you cambrai that is preceisly the point I wanted to make.

rickshaw said:
Apropos Bliar jumping on yet another populist bandwagon, I'd just like to quote Lord Ramsbotham: "I just wish he'd shut up, frankly". Much sense, as always from the former General David!
Whilst I agree with you words Mr Rickshaw, is it not possible that Blair may actually feel something for this turn of events? Of course the presumption that he is jumping on the bandwagon is no-ones fault but his own. Like a political 'The boy who cried wolf', it's hard to know when he really cares.

A 7 year old kid and a guy in a wheelchair beaten up for wearing St. George's cross. A sad day for football.

And yes, while it does smack of Blair jumping on a populist bandwagon (again), if he didn't say anything people would be more angry at him for not saying anything.

spuncan said:

I was horrified when i heard this on the radio this morning.

Makes me sad to share a country with someone who is so small and petty-minded!

Find them and shame the cowardly creatures. take the passports away from them too.

And force them to wear England tops for the rest of their lives.

[quote
Funny how the piece of human scum who punched a little kid was wearing a Glasgow Rangers top, you know, that well known bunch of proddie b@stards that love to wave the UNION flag, particularly at Old Firm matches. The tw@t must be really proud of himself![/quote]

Priceless.

Just goes to show you doesnt it........

One mention of B'liar and all of a sudden the story is all about him. Whilst this thread descends into yet another tony bashing affair, (not a bad thing by the way!), the real point has been forgotten, or at worst, missed, again. Is it going the same way out in press-land or is it just here on Arrse?

Thats the bit that really sickens me - Its always the same in this country, get a chance for a dig at the politicos and the real story is gone, lost under a pile of sleaze and spin and none of the real problems are dealt with, just the face-saving and points scoring bits are given any airing.

Now, back on topic. I am as English as the next man AND I live just north of Glasgow. My daughter goes to a Scottish school and my wife works in Scotland. I wear my England top with immense pride on match day and always will. I get no dramas at all where I live (and its not anywhere near as nice a place to be as the bit of the capital in question in the main story), nor does my daughter or my Wife. So is this an isolated incident (well 2 to be exact if we count the bloke in the car who was beaten up)? No, it isnt. I have had to work very hard to be accepted for what I am round our way and even now there are some places I do not go as I know I'm not welcome. But as deep as the hatred, and that's what it is, of the Auld Enemy goes, this sort of act belongs in the dark ages with ducking stools and public floggings. There can be no excuse and no amount of anti-racism adverts on STV, (and strangely enough they all point toward the foreign folk as being Chinese/Pakistani/Indian etc, no mention is made of English - how feckin blinkered is that?), will solve it as it goes much deeper than that - its a social deprivation/drugs/alcohol/cultural thing. Serious cultural changes particularily toward drink need to made before any improvements will be made.

My heart goes out to those affected by the attacks but using them as a vehicle to attack B'Liar without seriously discussing any of the real reasons behind it is plain wrong in my book.

So there.

Edited for mongily spellin stuff

Dilfor said:
[quote
Funny how the piece of human scum who punched a little kid was wearing a Glasgow Rangers top, you know, that well known bunch of proddie b@stards that love to wave the UNION flag, particularly at Old Firm matches. The tw@t must be really proud of himself!

Priceless.[/quote]

They would probably be the same bunch of proddie barstewards who sent Graham Souness threatening letters when he took on Mo Johnson (Catholic Celtic player) when he was Rangers manager.

May I suggest an age old solution?

If English supporters have been beaten up, let's beat up some Rangers supporters.

Works for Isreal.

cambrai said:

Maybe just maybe some of our posters north of the border who posted anti English comments on here might read back to their posts and take a moment to reflect, is this attacker the type of person you want to be associated with ? Of course some will try and turn it around and claim they are the victims and not actually come out and condemn whats happened.

Then again others might just seek to avoid the issue and blame the government......
No, the point of this is that these incidents involved only two 'supposed scots' (as in i'm sad to share a country with them!) who needlessly attacked individuals because they were wearing an England top. Please don't tar us all with the same brush...