Blair Chief Adviser: Britons Should Shut Up, Obey

From the BBC:

"Tony Blair's outgoing chief strategy adviser fears the internet could be fuelling a "crisis" in the relationship between politicians and voters.

"Matthew Taylor - who stressed he was speaking as a 'citizen' not a government spokesman - said the web could be 'fantastic' for democracy.

"But it was too often used to encourage the 'shrill discourse of demands' that dominated modern politics.

"'We have a citizenry which can be caricatured as being increasingly unwilling to be governed but not yet capable of self-government,' Mr Taylor told the audience."

"Web 'fuelling crisis in politics'" 17 November 2006
By Brian Wheeler
Political reporter, BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6155932.stm

Yep that sounds like our Govt, patronising as fcuk and always spouting on about stuff of which they know nothing - fortunately they are unbelievably incompetent when it come to implementing their scary initiatives.

That this pr1ck was Bliars cheif 'strategy' advisor explains some of the bulls!ht we have endured, if a crisis is occuring Matthew its because of your best efforts. I hope you get stabbed by a glued up chav on your way to another Islington dinner party.

well spotted Not_Whistlin_Dixie

Well, that's me put in my place- neck wound in etc.

Cnut.

What is the big breakthrough, in terms of politics, on the web in the last few years? It's basically blogs which are, generally speaking, hostile and, generally speaking, basically see their job as every day exposing how venal, stupid, mendacious politicians are.
Considering this is New Labour we're talking about here, basically reporting the truth then?

From the BBC said:
Tony Blair's outgoing chief strategy adviser:

"'We have a citizenry which can be caricatured as being increasingly unwilling to be governed but not yet capable of self-government,' Mr Taylor told the audience."
He's got a bloody good point, in my opinion. Everyone dislikes Government, no-one wants to be told what to do BUT there is no alternative to Government.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Interceptor said:
From the BBC said:
Tony Blair's outgoing chief strategy adviser:

He's got a bloody good point, in my opinion. Everyone dislikes Government, no-one wants to be told what to do BUT there is no alternative to Government.
Yes there is - it is called ARRSE :headbang:

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
The effect of web-based forums such as ARRSE should not be underestimated. Think of the effect that ARRSE alone had on Service Voting! On the political front, bloggers are way ahead of the 'dead tree press' when it comes to news - they are quicker, easier to contact, and beholden to no particular editor/party.

Have a look at something like this:
http://5thnovember.blogspot.com/

It's been scaring the crap out of the Bliar crew for a while - they don't like it up 'em, hence the recent comments.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
Who the **** does he think he is: Louis ****ing Quinze? I do hope some self-governing citizen sticks a boot up his unelected arse.

What he fails to understand is that we are being over governed by spivs who want to centralise everything and use increasing amounts of our money to do it, car charging, environment taxes. We are proud of our freedoms in this country and we see a corrupt govt that has taken us to war illegally and is yet to be accounted for. They probably wish for an untouchable political elite, they are already half way there, in that they are completely out of touch.

Interceptor said:
From the BBC said:
Reckon I know what you mean, but how about inserting: "good, fair, honest" between 'to' and 'Government'.

However, funny this quote came the day after my post regarding: 'Is Great Britain becoming ungovernable'. Maybe this chump reads ARRSE.

There's only one thing worse than government and that's no government.

It's great fun to whinge but government is also a difficult job. Those parts of the world without any even marginally effective government are not happy with their lot. You may think pollies are liars, etc, etc, but have you ever thought about the alternative? The one lesson of most revolutions and 'states of disorder' is that there emerges some seriously nasty people to run the place without any checks on them. Thinking of another current thread you could have govt by paedos - that should be fun if you have children (or grand-children).

We've just had the 20th C with 'ideological' solutions for a better world. Some of them even linger on, if you don't like Brit pollies I suggest moving to N Korea, Somalia and a few other choice spots. There's always another choice, if you think you can do better, go for it - start with your local council.

its 1984 and your name is THX1138, now STFU and eat your soylent green.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
From the BBC:

"Tony Blair's outgoing chief strategy adviser fears the internet could be fuelling a "crisis" in the relationship between politicians and voters.
That's right! We, the adoring electorate, have fallen out of love with The Dear Leader and his gang purely because of the internet. The mists have cleared! I was under the illusion that it was because they've abused their positions and have lied to and patronised the electorate time and again. Oooops, did I just go off-message? :roll:

Wessex_Man said:
"Democracy stinks, but it's the best system we've got." (or words to that effect!)

- Winston Churchill.
He also said "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter."

However, as Old Snowy says the Guy Fawkes and Iain Dale sites really lift the lid on the cess pit that is this government (particularly Guy Fawkes)

They also contain links to a number of other such sites

Blogs are all very interesting but can be just as partisan as politics since everyone has an agenda of some sort, and there is also a lot of crap out there. I do think that some provide a useful service and add to the openness of government; but that does not help actually govern.

Clearly democracy is the least worst solution, but we many of us have agreed with the sentiment in one way or another - there are often threads on how society is 'going to hell in an handcart' because individauls are selfish and only take their own actions into account -be it driving without indicating, jumping lights at a contraflow, keeping control of their kids/ themselves and rudeness in general.

Society has to agree to be governed and this means there has to be a level of obedience - even to rules that we disagree with in some cases. Failure to do so is anarchy - and there are many places even in the UK where the rule of law has failed and people live in terror.

This is the sentiment which I understand to be conveyed by this government strategist, and with which I agree. This does not mean that I believe in total subservience to government, where powers are abused (within the legal framework) then it is right to stand up to government.

Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
From the BBC:

"Tony Blair's outgoing chief strategy adviser fears the internet could be fuelling a "crisis" in the relationship between politicians and voters. "
Oh, so he's proposing to ban the internet now?

politicons are a neccesary evil we employ them occansionly they need to do things that are unpopluar and need doing and sometimes there even right about them :twisted:
the congestion charge for example
making kids eat greens in school defeating the NAZi's
if you have to make unpopluar decisions you should have the guts to expect to complain :twisted: