Blair Chief Adviser: Britons Should Shut Up, Obey

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Nov 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC:

"Tony Blair's outgoing chief strategy adviser fears the internet could be fuelling a "crisis" in the relationship between politicians and voters.

"Matthew Taylor - who stressed he was speaking as a 'citizen' not a government spokesman - said the web could be 'fantastic' for democracy.

"But it was too often used to encourage the 'shrill discourse of demands' that dominated modern politics.

"'We have a citizenry which can be caricatured as being increasingly unwilling to be governed but not yet capable of self-government,' Mr Taylor told the audience."

"Web 'fuelling crisis in politics'" 17 November 2006
    By Brian Wheeler
    Political reporter, BBC News
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6155932.stm

2. Yep that sounds like our Govt, patronising as fcuk and always spouting on about stuff of which they know nothing - fortunately they are unbelievably incompetent when it come to implementing their scary initiatives.

That this pr1ck was Bliars cheif 'strategy' advisor explains some of the bulls!ht we have endured, if a crisis is occuring Matthew its because of your best efforts. I hope you get stabbed by a glued up chav on your way to another Islington dinner party.

well spotted Not_Whistlin_Dixie

3. Well, that's me put in my place- neck wound in etc.

Cnut.

4. Considering this is New Labour we're talking about here, basically reporting the truth then?

5. He's got a bloody good point, in my opinion. Everyone dislikes Government, no-one wants to be told what to do BUT there is no alternative to Government.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yes there is - it is called ARRSE :headbang:

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The effect of web-based forums such as ARRSE should not be underestimated. Think of the effect that ARRSE alone had on Service Voting! On the political front, bloggers are way ahead of the 'dead tree press' when it comes to news - they are quicker, easier to contact, and beholden to no particular editor/party.

Have a look at something like this:
    http://5thnovember.blogspot.com/

It's been scaring the crap out of the Bliar crew for a while - they don't like it up 'em, hence the recent comments.

8. Who the **** does he think he is: Louis ****ing Quinze? I do hope some self-governing citizen sticks a boot up his unelected arse.

9. What he fails to understand is that we are being over governed by spivs who want to centralise everything and use increasing amounts of our money to do it, car charging, environment taxes. We are proud of our freedoms in this country and we see a corrupt govt that has taken us to war illegally and is yet to be accounted for. They probably wish for an untouchable political elite, they are already half way there, in that they are completely out of touch.

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

If Liebour had there way,we'ed be living like something from Fritz Lanng's film Metropolis!

12. There's only one thing worse than government and that's no government.

It's great fun to whinge but government is also a difficult job. Those parts of the world without any even marginally effective government are not happy with their lot. You may think pollies are liars, etc, etc, but have you ever thought about the alternative? The one lesson of most revolutions and 'states of disorder' is that there emerges some seriously nasty people to run the place without any checks on them. Thinking of another current thread you could have govt by paedos - that should be fun if you have children (or grand-children).

We've just had the 20th C with 'ideological' solutions for a better world. Some of them even linger on, if you don't like Brit pollies I suggest moving to N Korea, Somalia and a few other choice spots. There's always another choice, if you think you can do better, go for it - start with your local council.

13. "Democracy stinks, but it's the best system we've got." (or words to that effect!)

- Winston Churchill.

14. its 1984 and your name is THX1138, now STFU and eat your soylent green.

15. That's right! We, the adoring electorate, have fallen out of love with The Dear Leader and his gang purely because of the internet. The mists have cleared! I was under the illusion that it was because they've abused their positions and have lied to and patronised the electorate time and again. Oooops, did I just go off-message? :roll: