Blagging your case out of trouble

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by WolvoExPunk, Feb 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've known quite a few lads who could lie their arses off, convincingly, to get out of trouble. But I remember this old number from the 70s, and if it's true, then our American friends have defo got first place in spinning a lie.

Max Bygraves - Deck Of Cards - YouTube

2. Old Maxie Bygraves number from the 70s?

"The Deck of Cards" is a recitation that was popularized in both the country and popular music fields, first during the late 1940s. This religious tale of a young American soldier arrested and charged with playing cards during a church service first became a hit in the U.S. in 1948 by country musician T. Texas Tyler.

Though Tyler wrote the spoken-word piece, the earliest known reference is to be found in an account/common-place book belonging to Mary Bacon, a British farmer's wife, dated 20 April 1762. The story of the soldier can be found in full in Mary Bacon's World. A farmer's wife in eighteenth-century Hampshire, published by Threshhold Press (2010). The folk story was later recorded in a piece of 19th century British literature called "The Soldier's Almanack, Bible And Prayer Book"[SUP][1][/SUP]

[SUP]Courtesy of [/SUP][SUP][/SUP]

Nought but slushy shite that never happened....
  3. There was a version done on the radio, 'I'm sorry I'll read that again' springs to mind. A soldier is caught with a cricket bag in church.

'...and if you don't have a good reason for it son, we'll punish you worse then that soldier boy we caught lying about his deck of cards.'