Bladeless Multitool

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
What is the actual problem with locking knives in the UK these days? They have to be like this otherwise they can fold up on your fingers (and even if you think they can't, they can - I had a lucky escape once). I'm sure I've bought Opinel knives in the UK (I used to live there) and they definitely lock open with a rotating collar.
The Hansard record from the House of Commons debate on the Criminal Justice Act in the '80s shows that Parliament meant for lock knives to be considered the same as slip joints when debating the legislation. Unfortunately this was not written in to the act, referring to folding knives with no distinction on type of folder.

A couple of years later a guy named Harris was picked up for carrying a locking folding knife. He was convicted and appealed. He lost the appeal on the basis that the lock mechanism transformed the knife in to a de facto fixed blade. Despite Hansard and Parliament's intention being sited in court, the judge's decision set a legal precedent which required good reason for the carry of a lock knife in a public place.

You can buy and carry locking knives in the UK. It is totally legal to do so, IF you can show good reason for doing so. The inherent safety of a lock knife is not considered good reason. I have heard stories of coppers raising an eyebrow when coming across lockable folding rescue seatbelt cutters in cars (they have a sharp edge and lock - illegal!).

Event multi tools can be a problem.

They are a legal grey area. While you can buy a Leatherman or Gerber with a slip joint knife, it is only a true slip joint if you do not close the multitool when the blade is exposed. The 1993 precedent refers to "a "lock knife" which could only be refolded by the pressing of a button to release a locking mechanism ". There is debate whether having to open the multitool to fold away the blade constitutes a "mechanism".

Again, one area where a copper may go for another reason to arrest.

I discussed this with a long serving and experienced officer who was, at the time, a member of my Mountain Rescue Team. He stated it was uncertain how a multitool should be addressed. His position was that if he could not justify an arrest for carrying a lock knife he would arrest for going equipped!

His statement helped me down the slippery slope of not trusting the average copper.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Trespass is a civil offence unless damage is caused, so no Plod needed unless they’ve been cutting trees down or similar.
I know, the prices they charge

download.jpeg

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Carpet fitters will be shitting it.
What about knife carrying 'Indian' chefs wearing a big vest on their way to an honest job?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Beaten to it. I was just going to post that. Quite cheap too, coming in around US$19.

Not a bad little biltong knife at all, although you still have to watch your fingers. The slipjoint may be quite stiff, but it'll still get you if you're not paying attention on a particularly thick chunk of meat.
Not sharpening PENcils?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Take photos as you dismantle it, then you’ll know where the spacers came from. Browse Leatherman spares for a tool to replace the blade, the holder for the file will take a regular jigsaw blade on some models. No one is going to notice if you have a ground down and sharpened spare in the back of the pouch In case you ever need an actual blade.View attachment 450216
Like this one. You’ll need threadlock when you re assemble it..
How many boring pensioners (state ones) could be bothered to do that?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Well yes and no.

It is an offence to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place, with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is 7.62 cm (3 inches) or less. A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is an offence to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if you do not have good reason).
Just stop now?

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I totally agree with you on that. It is however unrealistic in the extreme.

Case in point, one child repeatedly stabbed another in the neck with a compass a few months ago.

Were police called? No.
Was said child expelled? No.
Was said child given a bit of a talking to, a day off and then a fresh start? Yes.

You have to be a seriously nasty ******** in repeated ways with evidence before anyone even considers kicking you out of a state school. Potentially taking photos of students/staff? Wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

You've answered your own point, banning people does not work, banning objects does. If kids leave phones turned on and set to silent in their bags, no one knows they have them and everyone gets along fine.

Until someone sets their phone up as a wireless hotspot that can be seen by school devices named "SHOUT PENIS FOR PASSWORD" but that's a different conversation.
See if you were allowed to have a smart phone at work you could have made a fortune.

Boker make 'em. Prob order online from Knife Center (yeah, I know). Fork and bottle opener also available but I carry the spoon for the humour value. Epic racing spoon.

The dimmer plod will go full retard for sure if you pull that out and tuck into your beans.

I carry a resqme

I used to drive a lot so considered this a useful item to have.

Believe it or not some morons think it's an offensive bit of kit. For slicing folk and breaking windscreens.

Rather than cutting your seatbelt and popping your window, if you're trapped in your car.

My boot usually contains my canoeing first aid kit, rescue saw and axe. Also a couple of throw lines and pulleys, carabineers and cordage. And tape, plastic, hot glue sticks, and tools. For no other reason than I know that it's there and I once used a red light stock to replace my tail light when two blew in quick succession.

I carry one on my personal car keys, and have one on my work tunic. Can confirm it breaks windows perfectly and cuts seatbelts nicely too.

I've got an original Leatherman ( if it dies than I may look at another ) anyhow, I once offered it to a cop to aid him in assisting access to a neighbours property.
It was a screwdriver or he'd have to make Mrs Philbins door go away.
Needs must, eh. ;)

Edit: She'd had a fall, nothing too bad.
Leathermans come with a lifetime warranty.

I broke one side of the pliers on a Supertool using it as a crowbar. I thought I would test out their lifetime guarantee and took it along to the Shot Show in Vegas where I knew they would be exhibiting. Wandered up to a bloke *1 on the stand he smiled, took the knackered Leatherman, wandered off and came back 2 minutes later with the newer updated model and a free pouch. I became a loyal customer from that moment.

Note: *1 He turned out to be the recently retired badgeman of a Bn of the 75th Ranger Regt. started chatting as he had known a few of the THEM blokes at the ILRRP school. I can't remember his name, but @Anonymous Yank may know him.

When you hop off your (possibly quite justified) soapbox. I know all this. But my reason for not wanting a knife is not plod, but management.
The answer is quite simple - don't get your tool out in the presence of management.

Fnarr, fnarr, etc.

Latest Threads