Bladeless Multitool

I'm soon to start a new job. From past experience in similar roles I know a multi-tool is a bloody useful bit of kit to have for all the weird stuff the job throws at you, and the ability to bodge something together on the fly is quite handy. I've been looking at multi-tools. As this will be a work environment, that is also in public and customer facing, I don't want it to have a knife blade simply to avoid unhappy manager noises.

Trouble is there don't seem to be many options I've been able to find out there. most seem to be tiny key ring sized ones, which one presumes to be mostly useless. Or they have knives on them. also in an ideal world It'd be fairly compact. I used to have a pretty nice little Gerber one which would do, but it broke in the end, and had a knife blade on it.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on the subject?

I do, somewhere, have a bladeless multitool. I'll see if I can find it.
Why not just grind off, or remove the blade on a normal one?

I do, somewhere, have a bladeless multitool. I'll see if I can find it.
Why not just grind off, or remove the blade on a normal one?
Thanks.
Taking a hacksaw/grind stone to the knife on a normal tool was an option I was considering. But I was trying to find an alternative before I went that route.

Sorry Dingerr, the links are not working to Amazon for me for some reason. Would it be this thing? If so I had seen it, and was considering it. Although it looked quite a large tool.

Why dont you simply not use the knife blade? I have a Gerber multitool and frequently work in customer facing areas and have never had any problems.

Thanks.
Taking a hacksaw/grind stone to the knife on a normal tool was an option I was considering. But I was trying to find an alternative before I went that route.

Sorry Dingerr, the links are not working to Amazon for me for some reason. Would it be this thing? If so I had seen it, and was considering it. Although it looked quite a large tool.
That’s it.

HE117

LE
It is a perfectly acceptable defence in law to possess any knife if you can demonstrate a lawful reason for that possession. If you use a knife as part of your work, and you are at work then this is perfectly legal. Having a knife with a blade longer than 3" in a public place where there is no demonstrable need for it is a problem, and can get you into an argument with the law (which you would be unlikely to win!). Wandering about the high street at 2am on a Saturday morning with a couple of Katanas stuffed down the back of your fleece would require a very good story!

Blades or pointy implements such as knitting needles will keep you out of certain restricted areas such as airports courthouses and parliament buildings, however these are local restrictions and do not fall within the provisions of the law.

There is widespread misinterpretation of this law by the Police and the Courts. Do not encourage them. You have every right to carry a pocket knife with an unlocked blade under 3" in a public place without being challenged. There was never an intention in the law to restrict locked blade pocket knives, but a crusading judge decided that this would happen, and nothing has been done to challenge it (yet..!)

I get sick of hearing about "Knife Crime".. there is no "Poker Crime" or "Half Brick Crime" or "Big Bit of Wood Crime"... just "Crime", and I wish the Press, Plod and the Courts would concentrate on that bit rather than the implement used! Possession of an implement with intent to use it as a weapon is certainly a valid concern, but it is the issue of "intent" that needs to be proved to show a crime is committed, not just "Possession" which IMHO is lazy and dangerous lawmaking..

There is no logic in arguing that legally restricting possession of artefacts is the solution to issues of violence. The problem is the perpetrator, not the implement! Whilst there is perfect sense in controlling access to certain significantly dangerous artefacts such as guns and poisons, this should never be considered the main and only reaction. Society needs to be able to identify, challenge and control people who demonstrate that they are unable to control themselves. If the agents of society such as the Police and the Courts are not doing this, then it is this that needs to be addressed, We must not simply allow these failed agencies to foist even more restrictions on society!

The law is the servant of society, not the other way around! I want to see a free society, but this should not mean that individuals should be able to absent themselves from that society, and that society has to be controlled at the level of the weakest member. That is the politics of the nursery school, and we need to fight it with all our might!

Last edited:

clanky

War Hero
Loads of good cycling multi tools on the market without blades. Like all cycling related products you can spend as much as you like on one.

There is widespread misinterpretation of this law by the Police and the Courts. Do not encourage them. You have every right to carry a pocket knife with an unlocked blade under 3" in a public place without being challenged. There was never an intention in the law to restrict locked blade pocket knives, but a crusading judge decided that this would happen, and nothing has been done to challenge it (yet..!)
When you hop off your (possibly quite justified) soapbox. I know all this. But my reason for not wanting a knife is not plod, but management.

I'm soon to start a new job. From past experience in similar roles I know a multi-tool is a bloody useful bit of kit to have for all the weird stuff the job throws at you, and the ability to bodge something together on the fly is quite handy. I've been looking at multi-tools. As this will be a work environment, that is also in public and customer facing, I don't want it to have a knife blade simply to avoid unhappy manager noises.

Trouble is there don't seem to be many options I've been able to find out there. most seem to be tiny key ring sized ones, which one presumes to be mostly useless. Or they have knives on them. also in an ideal world It'd be fairly compact. I used to have a pretty nice little Gerber one which would do, but it broke in the end, and had a knife blade on it.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on the subject?
A blade will probably be the most useful item on the tool but if you dont want it then you can just take it off. All leathermans and gerbers have a screw that you can undo and take out or swap out the bit you dont want.

I have a gerber that had two blades in it for some reason, i just replaced one of the blades with a saw that i nicked from an older, less used one i had laying around.

A blade will probably be the most useful item on the tool but if you dont want it then you can just take it off. All leathermans and gerbers have a screw that you can undo and take out or swap out the bit you dont want.

I have a gerber that had two blades in it for some reason, i just replaced one of the blades with a saw that i nicked from an older, less used one i had laying around.
Will that not wreck the thing, or is it simple to do?

HE117

LE
When you hop off your (possibly quite justified) soapbox. I know all this. But my reason for not wanting a knife is not plod, but management.
Sorry mate.. I was having a bit of an unload on this one, but I am of the belief that the problem has originated within the police and spread.. I am sure this management decision has been influenced either directly or indirectly by the Police. This is not something that should be happening!

We have the same problem with cameras in mobile phones being banned in schools..!

It is a perfectly acceptable defence in law to possess any knife if you can demonstrate a lawful reason for that possession. If you use a knife as part of your work, and you are at work then this is perfectly legal. Having a knife with a blade longer than 3" in a public place where there is no demonstrable need for it is a problem, and can get you into an argument with the law (which you would be unlikely to win!). Wandering about the high street at 2am on a Saturday morning with a couple of Katanas stuffed down the back of your fleece would require a very good story!

Blades or pointy implements such as knitting needles will keep you out of certain restricted areas such as airports courthouses and parliament buildings, however these are local restrictions and do not fall within the provisions of the law.

I get sick of hearing about "Knife Crime".. there is no "Poker Crime" or "Half Brick Crime" or "Big Bit of Wood Crime"... just "Crime", and I wish the Press, Plod and the Courts would concentrate on that bit rather than the implement used! Possession of an implement with intent to use it as a weapon is certainly a valid concern, but it is the issue of "intent" that needs to be proved to show a crime is committed, not just "Possession" which IMHO is lazy and dangerous lawmaking..

There is no logic in arguing that legally restricting possession of artefacts is the solution to issues of violence. The problem is the perpetrator, not the implement! Whilst there is perfect sense in controlling access to certain significantly dangerous artefacts such as guns and poisons, this should never be considered the main and only reaction. Society needs to be able to identify, challenge and control people who demonstrate that they are unable to control themselves. If the agents of society such as the Police and the Courts are not doing this, then it is this that needs to be addressed, We must not simply allow these failed agencies to foist even more restrictions on society!

The law is the servant of society, not the other way around!

Most police officers dont understand the law or see it totally differently however I usually have my leatherman clipped in my pocket, the clip is on the outside of the pocket, tool in the inside. It is obvious to anyone who knows what they are looking at what it is. I have caught the eye of several police officers around london as they have seen it, looked at me, then looked away, presumably because I am not a black teenager or wearing a grey matching tracksuit, if i were, then i expect that they would do something.

I have also walked through a metal detector / knife arch that was thrown up in the way out of ealing broadway station last year, totally forgot the thing was in my pocket. The alarm went off, they looked at my pocket and waved me through.

There does appear to be some flexibility in the law but if they wanted to, they could do me for carrying an offensive weapon.

We carry multi tools for those tasks that we encounter on the fly that we had not planned for, had occurred in the moment or in an emergency. These cannot be sufficiently explained to a police officer or court as having a valid reason to have a knife because they do not accept "just in case i need it" as a valid reason. They do accept "I am a chef and I am taking my knives to work" or "I am a wood carver, taking my tools to work with me".

The other issue with this stupid law is that the lock on a folding knife is a safety feature. I will not use a folding knife that has no lock because I have had one fold up in my fingers before. The law see's a lock as a feature to make a knife more dangerous, the rest of the world see's if as a feature to make it less dangerous, hence any good multi tool that has a blade will have a lock for that blade too.

If enough,otherwise law abiding people, ignore this stupid law then perhaps it will be changed to something more targeted to tackle the issue.

I have a friend who worked as a professional outdoor activities instructor, he is qualified in climbing, kayaking and all that stuff but also teaches bushcraft from time to time. He took a group of his mates out to some nearby woodland which was privately owned to practise some buschraft, much of which involves using cutting tools. He did not have the land owners permission. Somebody called the police with a report of a group of lads messing around with knives in the woods.

The police turned up and arrested them all for armed tresspass. The incident reeked of the landowner being a drinking mate of the police officer but off they went to the station anyway. My mate foolishly accepted a caution in exchange for them dropping the armed tresspass nonsense. He now has a permanent knife crime record and cannot work with children. His career requires him to work with children and so he has had to find a new one.

Unremarkable

War Hero
Sorry mate.. I was having a bit of an unload on this one, but I am of the belief that the problem has originated within the police and spread.. I am sure this management decision has been influenced either directly or indirectly by the Police. This is not something that should be happening!

We have the same problem with cameras in mobile phones being banned in schools..!
Given my work environment, and the hole in which I live, I don't even carry my own scissors these days.
My daughter has covered the cameras on her phone even though her school has made no demands, and I carried a rubbish clamshell for years because of management threatening to check everyone's devices at random.
I used to carry a lock knife and a Leatherman (lovely blade, but tended to fold onto my fingers in use) but increasing risk of adverse attention convinced me to leave them in a drawer.

gorillaguts981

War Hero
Keep the blade folded. They don't need to know. If asked, it's a pair of pliers with other tools.

Mate if you're worried about doing that I don't think you need to be allowed tools :D
Then, for your peace of mind, stay out of the cookery forum for a few weeks...

QUOTE="HE117, post: 9837803, member: 19514"]

[/QUOTE]

No worries. Its not even management really, its self imposed restriction to avoid making management irate. I've had a few managers who'd fly off the handle at the thought of you having a multi-tool with a Knife on site. No idea what the new lot are like, so I'll simply avoid the issue.

Latest Threads