"Blade runner" banned from Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by box-of-frogs, Jan 14, 2008.

1. No - he won't win anyway so let him compete!

2. Yes - He can go compete in the ParaOlympics

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He cannot compete with 'normal' athletes but I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to compete against fellow amputees.......especially if he's trained for several years to do so.
  2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

A classic case of engineering v. human skills.
    Those "bouncing feet" [and light-weight lower limbs] must give him a massive advantage.

Away with him ....
  3. think they say its because he sprints using 25% less energy expenditure
  4. So HOW disabled is disabled?

Perhaps they will all want to loose their lower legs and get the extra boost!

Bleeding heart do gooders, can't if you do and can't if you don't!!
  5. Why not allow him. Its not as if he cut off his legs to become a better runner. It just seems to be the case.

If I had a glass eye but became better at darts would they stop me then?
  6. nothing a little HACKSAW would sort out.
  7. The bloke is missing a trick.

He could have enormous springs fitted as an optional extra and win the high jump, long jump and pole vault.
  8. blue-sophist

That's another engineer thinking!! :D
    Cut off his right arm, and there'll be an engineer's solution to the Shot Putt and Javelin and well.
    And my solution ... an extended right arm prosthetic for more leverage in the Hammer.
  9. Gives a whole new meaning to being harridaned (I know it's not a real word) to call them "differently abled" when they're actually better than the issue version, doesn't it.
  10. If he just got 30 foot long ones on he'd do even better!

T C
  11. Aaaah.... the blissful irony of a bloke with no legs being deemed to have an advantage over blokes with TWO legs, in a running race!!
  12. blue-sophist

No, BB ... this is the REAL Olympics, not the "Sexual" ones.

Put your fantasies away, please :lol:
  13. They could have found this out in two minutes by having him run and measuring his oxygen consumption at a given speed. It was pretty obvious from the outset that he was doing nothing like the work of anyone trying to run 400 in same times without "blades".

Air resistance and friction are the least of your problems on foot - conservation of momentum is everything. Humans neither spring nor roll - unless they use carbon blades or wheels.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but there is something badly mistaken right at the heart of disabled athletics. Basically the person only just disabled enough to qualify wins. Am I "disabled" because I can only shift 5 litres of oxygen a minute while Lance Armstrong (thanks to his genes) can do 6.4? Can we have a Tour de France for people with no more than 5 in total and 62 per kg?

Rightly excluded, I think.
  14. is his "third leg" also a blade ????