Blackwater buys Tucano

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

The shape of things to come, or the Blackwater Summer Sunday grand tourer?

For that sort of money I could have got them at least a trio of L-39's :D
  2. Since when exactly have American government authorities started acting as international purchasers of military hardware for specific private firms in order to circumvent the law of another country?

Was the government reimbursed by Blackwater for any expenses incurred?
    Did Blackwater decide it wanted this piece of kit, saw legal obstacles so then went and asked the US government to purchase it on their behalf?

Seems like a misuse of public services to me.
    This is what happens in these Public/Private partnerships. Rather than the private part acting as a provider of services to the public the private bit ends up, over time, using the public agencies to service its own (shareholders) needs.

This is just another case of the corporate takeover of the public weal.
    And this, much more than any Islamic fundamentalism is the true threat to our democracy.
  3. could this continue to expand? we have private companies training army personnel in this country if im correct? whats next, private airforce, private navy??

I say we buy the warships the Government can't afford, and then offer our services to the Government when they need a few extra ships? same could apply to transport and AAR platforms,

Good thing or bad thing???

4. On Albert Square, Henno's brother has two flying for Queen Vic Airlines SA, a company registered in Dubai
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Yep you are absolutely right, I'm equally outraged by this.
  6. You want to take a look at the American Air Force online adverts. They seem to have forgotten that they are paid for by the American taxpayer to protect them and America.
    They come across like a privately run version of SMERSH, providers of full spectrum dominance services for those who can afford them.

The world going mad I tell you. The worlds going mad.
  7. This all sounds like a repeat of Civil Air Transport, Air America et al
  8. Apart from dragging the dignity of state through the mud, which he does on a regular basis, there might be one or two other problems with this Arthur Daley style scam pulled by the smirking chimp.

Were the Brazilians aware when they did the deal who exactly was the real end user?
    If they weren't then the American government has shown contempt for Brazil and broken a raft of international law pertaining to arms sales.
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Aaah the good old days of the East India Company . . . THEY knew how to get things done!
  10. well say I form a company to buy a fleet of heavy lift transport aircraft, C17's, Antonov An-124's, as well as some Boeing's and Airbus aircraft for AAR, then offered them for lease to the RAF for when they needed them whats wrong with that?

in an idea world the armed forces would have the money they needed for the kit they want, and believe me, I'm one of the biggest civvy supporters of the armed forces. However if the Americans can do this with their big budgets then perhaps this might not be a bad idea if its done correctly,

You might over come the pilot shortages that way, servicing would be better as the company would decide when the platforms needed replacing not the RAF/MOD.

However I DON'T agree with private amies, this is a doggie area to go into as far as I'm concerned.

You could go as far as the RFA, and some warships like HMS Ocean, privately owned and run by part civvy and part Navy crew, control being in Navy hands when in the time of conflict especially if weapons are to be used,

Only my thoughts anyway, I doubt any investors would go for it anyway

11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'm trying to work out what they want the damn thing for. Used for training?

Does that imply they will be training their staff to bring in air missions? It implies that they have comms to US air. That's the only fixed wing they could have accesss to that I can think off.
  12. Now there's a tail that wagged the dog if ever there was one.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There is the distinct possibility that Blackwater will take over some deniable covert ops for the CIA. Every time the CIA or DOD gets caught doing naughty things, like Iran-Contra, Bay of Pigs, Air America et al, the gobment gets egg on face.

If all goes t!ts-up with Blackwater getting caught, the US gobment can shout and yell about naughty PMCs and use it as an excuse to legislate to bring them to heal once their stirling work in 2 current wars is over.
  14. Dunc0936
    Nothing at all. Freddie Laker bought up war surplus planes at the end of the second world war then made a killing with them helping execute British foreign policy creating a cargo air bridge during the Berlin Blockade. Private and public working in harmony each knowing their place.
    Here we have a case of the American government apparently subverting the law of another nation to possibly illegally aquire an aircraft for the commercial benefit of a particular private concern.

It might be worth bearing in mind that Blackwater is getting lots of contracts from the Dept of Homeland Security for internal domestic work.
    Would this craft be suitable for border patrol duties for instance?

Why doesn't someone knowledgeable about fixed wing jobbies get a pic and specs of this puppy up on the board so that we all might have a look see as to what it might be used for.
  15. Biped
    Terrifying isn't it?
    I think you are right. Blackwater is becoming the institutionalized public face and provider of deniable ops to the American government.
    And no one need complain because it is a profitable growing industry in which the private investor can now buy shares. Private Deniable ops. providers now join other service industry providers and will be listed on the New York stock exchange.

Morality, legality and public accountability go down the plug hole as share price and dividends increases in value.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - the world is going mad.