Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Blackpool is a cesspit

No. No. No. Who drinks red wine, whilst eating a ruby? That's just so wrong.

Personally, I agree with you 100%. I disagree with him, but if he wants to mask the flavour of a wine with the food he 'matches' it with, that's up to him. The worst thing I've heard at a wine tasting (ok, I exaggerate) is the 'expert' correcting the taster for what the taster described as what he was drinking. Did the 'expert' have the punters tastebuds or culinary/olfactory experience to refer to; obviously not. So if anyone wants to drink vintage Chateau Neuf du Pape with pistachio ice cream, good luck to them - just don't ask me to join in.

Last edited:
Personally, I agree with you 100%, but if he wants to mask the flavour of a wine with the food he 'matches' it with, that's up to him. The worst thing I've heard at a wine tasting (ok, I exaggerate) is the 'expert' correcting the taster for what the taster described as what he was drinking. Did the 'expert' have the punters tastebuds or culinary/olfactory experience to refer to; obviously not. So if anyone wants to drink vintage Chateau Neuf du Pape with pistachio ice cream, good luck to them - just don't ask me to join in.
And to think, that my missus, regards my drinking habit as 'typically english, and chavvy!'

Bugger. I was going to ask @kiwidoug if he had ever visited Skeggy.
If there is one place - apart from Liverpool, that exemplifies northern chavs, it's Skegness.
Do all of these half decent, northern villages and towns (and to be fair, there are some lovely places, up north) send all of their scumbags, and utter twäts to live there?
Never been to Skegness.

I'm back in the UK for a while, and have just completed a three week touring holiday with SWMBO and my wee granddaughter. A lovely time was had by all, until we reached Blackpool.
I cannot remember why we booked in here, but I never want to ever come back.
It's chav central, with an extra dose of pikies. Whatever charm it ever had is long gone, and why it exists at all beats me.
I have seen many unpleasant sights in my time, but the appearance of a half naked drugged up beggar, covered in sores and bandages, with ECG leads still attached to his emaciated torso beats anything I've seen in the pits of the Far East.
WTF has happened to GREAT Britain?

If you think Blackpool is bad never visit Rhyl, it's like Blackpool without the old world charm, and no attractions of any note or nightlife, the bedsits are full of ex cons and drug addicts dumped from English areas because it's cheap, and in holiday season it's full of chavs and Scousers too thick to work out they could have had a holiday of their liking somewhere Magaluf far cheaper

If you think Blackpool is bad never visit Rhyl, it's like Blackpool without the old world charm, and no attractions of any note or nightlife, the bedsits are full of ex cons and drug addicts dumped from English areas because it's cheap, and in holiday season it's full of chavs and Scousers too thick to work out they could have had a holiday of their liking somewhere Magaluf far cheaper

It has occurred to me recently that there are quite a few places in Europe that are cheaper (and certainly better) than seaside shitholes if the airfare is right.
Yet still the highlight of the plebs is a weekend in Blackpool/Rhyl.

I grew up as a pad's brat in the late 60s early 70s. Lived in Singapore and spent many years in Germany as a young boy. We had caravan holidays in Italy, France and Spain and wherever my dad could get us and max out the petrol coupons.

Then he got posted to Tidworth....

...and for our first ever family holiday in UK the daft twat decided we'd go to Morecambe.... I imagine it's a bit like Blackpool... but shitter... and it probably hasn't changed since then

...we lasted two days before we insisted he hitched the van up and headed back to Tidworth and we left that dump to the sound of the bingo halls and slot machines... Even Tidworth had more appeal than Morecombe back then. Things that stick in your brain even after 40+ years is that the big event was The Wombles turning on 'the lights'. British holidays oop north are grim

Impressive! Not only do you know what the temperature is in my living room (in what is very likely a different country to where you are currently), you also know what my tastebuds react to. You know me better than I know myself.

You're doing pretty well yourself, as you have no idea as to the current temperature here, nor the strength of curry I consumed.
I suggest you give your head a minor wobble before posting pretentious piffle in future.

I grew up as a pad's brat in the late 60s early 70s. Lived in Singapore and spent many years in Germany as a young boy. We had caravan holidays in Italy, France and Spain and wherever my dad could get us and max out the petrol coupons.

What petrol coupons?

Went to Blackpool last year while visiting a mate near Warton. I had threatened a friend with a stick of Blackpool rock, so ventured into a rock shop. Inside I had to squeeze past a couple and their sprogs. Living in London I had forgotten the smell of true grubby smokers,.
By eck it cleared the sinuses and almost the stomach.
Definitely prefer Lytham St Ahhhhns or Fleetwood.