Blackpool is a cesspit

It's everywhere. When I'm in the UK ( rarely), it's to Torbay mostly for the last 30 years. Way back then it was really great, even tourist season, pleasant atmosphere, then slowly, and with increasing momentum came the...'Northerners'. I won't be apologist...my best mate is from Salford, bit of a wide boy and some of my best mates in Paignton are Old Skuwel scousers, solid gold lads...but an overwhelming number who turned up were smackheads,dealers, petty criminals and downright psychos. I've never bothered to set today's murder rate for Torbay against the national average but I think I know the answer...That and a local economy which has 80% of residents claiming some sort of benefits, businesses closing down all over and orchestrating it all...an 'autonomous' ( outside Devon County Council) Conservative local government which has recently admitted, quite conveniently, that it is bancrupt. ( Call me prescient, but a couple of years ago there was a banner outside the council offices that proclaimed Change Is In Our Hands and I joked Yeah, because you've wasted all the fucking paper money...). I'd never thought about outside influences, but what another poster said about people being shunted to Rhyll...hmmm maybe something similar...fly tipping human rubbish basically.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
well if they didn't have coupons in the 70s like they did in the 80s when I got back to Germany myself as a spotty squaddie then he certsinly must have got cheap petrol as I remember our caravan trips always included three or four jerrycans of petrol lobbed in the caravan
In the mid-70s, I was led to believe (and it turned out to be true) by the old sweats that when the regiment got back to Germany in 77, we'd have petrol coupons, like there had been for years until we'd moved from Falling Barstool to Omagh in 74.

After transferring, I sold petrol coupons daily until I left BAOR in 1985.

I have friends who moved to Blackpool years ago,go up there now and again.There is a nice park there and the Tower Ballroom is worth looking in,but the rest of the place is awful,especially the Golden Mile. Lytham is OK.

I have friends who moved to Blackpool years ago,go up there now and again.There is a nice park there and the Tower Ballroom is worth looking in,but the rest of the place is awful,especially the Golden Mile. Lytham is OK.
You mean Stanley Park...my granddad, WWI vet, was a parkie there before he died in a motorbike accident...before I was born. Great park, used to like hiring a rowing boat there...

You mean Stanley Park...my granddad, WWI vet, was a parkie there before he died in a motorbike accident...before I was born. Great park, used to like hiring a rowing boat there...
That's the one,the contrasts in that Town are remarkable. P1010028.JPG

That's the one,the contrasts in that Town are remarkable.
Haven't been back for over 15 years...never lived there but family connections so summer holidays...the reason I was back was because my old man bought a house in Thornton Cleveleys and I stayed there for a few weeks...oh fucking Jesus, I want to eradicate those memories forever. 'God's Waiting Room' does not begin to describe it....toxic zombie neutron bomb aftermath Hell is way too long, but like those 5 yard German words, there's no other way to describe it...though I'm open to offers!

Get your tickets now, before the Blackpool scalpers have them all.

'On 16 February 2018 The Macc Lads announced they would reform to play the Blackpool Rebellion festival 2018 on August 3rd. A new Facebook group for the band was created the same day. The cover photo is the text "1981- " signifying that the Macc Lads are together again. The line-up is the same as FILF but the set will only be Macc Lads material. FILF are also playing at Rebellion 2018, as are the Macc Lads tribute band The Manc Lads.'

Macc Lads - Wikipedia

If seasides towns like Blackpool remain permissive environments for the categories of undesirables previously listed, then they will thrive. The reduction in police strength nationally and the subsequent reduction in public confidence in law and order has resulted in acceptance and avoidance of these places by decent folk.

Even if this malaise can be reversed it will take a substantial increase in police numbers, properly targeted using consistently applied 'Bratton'-type zero-tolerance methods and supported by 24 hour courts and effective liaison and diversion services.

This will be expensive and this and future governments are unlikely to have an appetite for change until things get much worse.

I once had 7hrs to kill in Preston on a Sunday afternoon before working my next train back home. “I’ll go to Blackpool for a few hours, I haven’t been for 20yrs” I thought. Got off at Blackpool North, walked about 500yds, looked around at the clientele, thought better of it & got back on the same train back to Preston.
Comes to something when Preston is the preferred choice.

Haven't been back for over 15 years...never lived there but family connections so summer holidays...the reason I was back was because my old man bought a house in Thornton Cleveleys and I stayed there for a few weeks...oh ******* Jesus, I want to eradicate those memories forever. 'God's Waiting Room' does not begin to describe it....toxic zombie neutron bomb aftermath Hell is way too long, but like those 5 yard German words, there's no other way to describe it...though I'm open to offers!
You will be familiar with the Clevelys News Twitter feed then? - Cleveleys News (@cleveleysnews) | Twitter
The only town I've ever been to where the air smells faintly of wee.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
trickywoo The Intelligence Cell 5
Mighty_doh_nut Aviation 7
Mighty_doh_nut Aviation 6