Blackpool is a cesspit

If you think Blackpool is bad never visit Rhyl, it's like Blackpool without the old world charm, and no attractions of any note or nightlife, the bedsits are full of ex cons and drug addicts dumped from English areas because it's cheap, and in holiday season it's full of chavs and Scousers too thick to work out they could have had a holiday of their liking somewhere Magaluf far cheaper
It has occurred to me recently that there are quite a few places in Europe that are cheaper (and certainly better) than seaside shitholes if the airfare is right.
Yet still the highlight of the plebs is a weekend in Blackpool/Rhyl.

I grew up as a pad's brat in the late 60s early 70s. Lived in Singapore and spent many years in Germany as a young boy. We had caravan holidays in Italy, France and Spain and wherever my dad could get us and max out the petrol coupons.

Then he got posted to Tidworth....

...and for our first ever family holiday in UK the daft twat decided we'd go to Morecambe.... I imagine it's a bit like Blackpool... but shitter... and it probably hasn't changed since then

...we lasted two days before we insisted he hitched the van up and headed back to Tidworth and we left that dump to the sound of the bingo halls and slot machines... Even Tidworth had more appeal than Morecombe back then. Things that stick in your brain even after 40+ years is that the big event was The Wombles turning on 'the lights'. British holidays oop north are grim

Impressive! Not only do you know what the temperature is in my living room (in what is very likely a different country to where you are currently), you also know what my tastebuds react to. You know me better than I know myself.
You're doing pretty well yourself, as you have no idea as to the current temperature here, nor the strength of curry I consumed.
I suggest you give your head a minor wobble before posting pretentious piffle in future.

I grew up as a pad's brat in the late 60s early 70s. Lived in Singapore and spent many years in Germany as a young boy. We had caravan holidays in Italy, France and Spain and wherever my dad could get us and max out the petrol coupons.
What petrol coupons?

Went to Blackpool last year while visiting a mate near Warton. I had threatened a friend with a stick of Blackpool rock, so ventured into a rock shop. Inside I had to squeeze past a couple and their sprogs. Living in London I had forgotten the smell of true grubby smokers,.
By eck it cleared the sinuses and almost the stomach.
Definitely prefer Lytham St Ahhhhns or Fleetwood.

Went to Blackpool last year while visiting a mate near Warton. I had threatened a friend with a stick of Blackpool rock, so ventured into a rock shop. Inside I had to squeeze past a couple and their sprogs. Living in London I had forgotten the smell of true grubby smokers,.
By eck it cleared the sinuses and almost the stomach.
Definitely prefer Lytham St Ahhhhns or Fleetwood.
The rocks probably made in a factory in Parkstone a suburb of Poole in Dorset, anyway

What petrol coupons?
well if they didn't have coupons in the 70s like they did in the 80s when I got back to Germany myself as a spotty squaddie then he certsinly must have got cheap petrol as I remember our caravan trips always included three or four jerrycans of petrol lobbed in the caravan

It can't be that bad, the Red Arrows parked up there last week for the airshows.

Still I wouldnt venture further into town than whitegate drive, the locals know their pubs and stick to them, away from the town centre and visitors attractions, it's not a bad place to live.

If you think Blackpool is bad never visit Rhyl, it's like Blackpool without the old world charm, and no attractions of any note or nightlife, the bedsits are full of ex cons and drug addicts dumped from English areas because it's cheap, and in holiday season it's full of chavs and Scousers too thick to work out they could have had a holiday of their liking somewhere Magaluf far cheaper
It's not just seaside resorts made redundant by Ryanair.

I lived in Glasgow for a while, years ago. When I go back there now, I see junkies collapsed in shop doorways in Argyll street, drunks collapsed in George Square at 0800 and, once, a disabled woman who I was reliably informed had been crippled by childhood rickets. The hospitals are full of alcoholics and drug addicts.

The police are, apparently, simply refusing to acknowledge complaints about crimes they are unlikely to solve. A surprising number of stabbings and even arson attacks have taken place in areas that are somehow "crime free".

When I was growing up, the street where I lived had no unemployed residents. There were no single mothers either, barring one woman who was a widow. Now, nobody there has a job, one of the women has seven kids by six different fathers and several of the houses contain cannabis plantations.

The town where I live in England is being overrun by homeless people. You can't go out for a pint without somebody asking if you could spare some change. In the winter, they would die were it not for churches opening their halls as night shelters.

Politically, the SNP government in Scotland could not be more different from the Conservative government in the rest of the UK, yet the same things are happening there and here. It's happening in other countries too. The demise of Germany, Southern Europe and the Scandinavian countries is well documented and the cause is obvious.

Less well documented is the demise of places like San Francisco where the al-fresco toilet habits of the homeless are deemed to be a public health hazard so serious that it's affecting tourism. Detroit has entire housing estates where every property has been repossessed.

Blackpool is but a single kernel of undigested sweetcorn embedded in the cesspit that the world has turned to.

In the early '90's I used to visit the DSS headquarters at Lytham for Operational Account meetings, after a pleasant day discussing business the DSS Management team seemed to enjoy taking me into town to a little place called "Funny Girls". A sort of transvestite cabaret!

Hotel wise I stayed in the Grand Hotel whenever I visited, often used to host Political Party Conferences, I have frankly never stayed in such a dump!

I visited Blackpool with Mrs Dog a couple of years ago as we visited the North West on a walking holiday, and after showing her the delights of Windermere, for a day we went to Morecambe and onwards to Blackpool to see the Illuminations. I found what was left of Blackpool as a tourist site shocking, very dirty, expensive and feeling somewhat unsafe (Sleazy). We stayed for about an hour before departing back to Settle.

It's not just seaside resorts made redundant by Ryanair.

I lived in Glasgow for a while, years ago. When I go back there now, I see junkies collapsed in shop doorways in Argyll street, drunks collapsed in George Square at 0800 and, once, a disabled woman who I was reliably informed had been crippled by childhood rickets. The hospitals are full of alcoholics and drug addicts.

The police are, apparently, simply refusing to acknowledge complaints about crimes they are unlikely to solve. A surprising number of stabbings and even arson attacks have taken place in areas that are somehow "crime free".

When I was growing up, the street where I lived had no unemployed residents. There were no single mothers either, barring one woman who was a widow. Now, nobody there has a job, one of the women has seven kids by six different fathers and several of the houses contain cannabis plantations.

The town where I live in England is being overrun by homeless people. You can't go out for a pint without somebody asking if you could spare some change. In the winter, they would die were it not for churches opening their halls as night shelters.

Politically, the SNP government in Scotland could not be more different from the Conservative government in the rest of the UK, yet the same things are happening there and here. It's happening in other countries too. The demise of Germany, Southern Europe and the Scandinavian countries is well documented and the cause is obvious.

Less well documented is the demise of places like San Francisco where the al-fresco toilet habits of the homeless are deemed to be a public health hazard so serious that it's affecting tourism. Detroit has entire housing estates where every property has been repossessed.

Blackpool is but a single kernel of undigested sweetcorn embedded in the cesspit that the world has turned to.
Good Post @Ancient_Mariner .

Main rail station toilets were used by druggies in the 90's. It was surprising though to see someone tripping on a platform. Tourists thought it was funny, as if it was a comedy show. I used to think it might be an idea to let them have free drugs, of a very high purity. Cut out the dealer, give the druggie what they want and keep the undertakers in business. Having seen a documentary about ladies of the night who fell in to it through hardship and used drugs to block it out, I'm not so sure.

Single mums were far, far less common and usually the result of a divorce or bereavement. Single mums also tended to be resilient at finding decent jobs. Beggars seemed almost unheard of. There were tinkers who would do useful work and there were petty thieves. These days almost every city and major town has druggies and beggars in lots of shop doors or trying to sponge a few quid for a cup of tea (fix) at a bus stop. As to pubs, some of them go in there to use the facilities and freshen up.

In the 70's travellers would set up massive market stalls and, dodgem cars, dive bombers and the like. Never a problem. In the 90's onwards we have a different type of traveler intent on knowing their rights and getting their way even if it causes trouble, disruption and financial hardship to others. The shit they leave behind is appalling.
They should be living in a fly tipping area and see what they think of having all that crap on their doorstep. Free tickets to Bangladesh might give them an education.

I have met folk from all over and have no issues with people who want to come here and make an honest living.
I do have an issue with importing criminals, scammers, drug pushers and caliphate pushers. I also wonder if we could somehow export our druggies where their trade is welcome.

Welfare is a big issue. It seems an open door. When I was on it briely in the 80's I took the minimum and didn't complain. [Edited to add, I'm sure things could have been different] Others milk the system for all it's worth. Meanwhile, genuinely disabled and ill people struggle to qualify for benefit. Nigerians for example (I'm not singling them out and have known some really nice Nigerians) know more about UK welfare than UK citizens do. Why is that? Scandinavian Social Democracy was once was once seen as a Utopian model of high taxes and optimal welfare. How is that working out?

Last edited:
Mate. As far as I'm concerned, anyone north of the 'Watford Gap' is a Northern Monkey.
Yes mate, Every citizen South of your 'Watford gap', whatever that is, is a tax paying, solid purveyor of English values....oh wait, Londonistan, for a start!
I'm ambivalent about the North West's seaside resorts. They were created in the 19th century, to take advantage of the two week recreational holidays of the industrial North of Britain. British working class that didnt have two pennies to rub together, and it worked. What it wasnt catering for, was the mobile benefit chasing, benefit class, now able to sign on 'for work', anywhere in the UK. Have you been to Brighton and the southern seaside resorts and never heard a scouser begging for 'change'?

So no good then? I haven't been to any north side sea side resorts (or even up much of north tbh actually). Have only ever been to Brighton, Hastings and Southend-on-sea on some nice sunny warm days as they are close to London. I thought they weren't bad for a day out on a nice day.

So no good then? I haven't been to any north side sea side resorts (or even up much of north tbh actually). Have only ever been to Brighton, Hastings and Southend-on-sea on some nice sunny warm days as they are close to London. I thought they weren't bad for a day out on a nice day.
I went to Brighton and Ramsgate this trip, and found both not too bad. Also went to South Shields, which was unexpectedly nice.

I never went to Blackpool as a kid but heard lots about it. Fast forward 30-odd years and we had friends who lived in Thornton - Cleveleys (another area like Lytham St Annes where they get really snobby about where the line between one and the other lies) and we went to visit. They insisted on taking us "up to Blackpool to get on a tram and see the illuminations. It was cold, raining and blowing a gale, half the illuminations were missing filaments and the tram was shaking like it was about to fall apart. We didn't stay but got hte tram straight back again.

Fast forward another decade or so, and we had a young Aussie graduate doing a tour of the UK sites. He was really looking forward to visiting Blackpool as he'd heard so much about it from the folks back home. We tried to talk him out of it but no his mind was set. I saw him a couple of weeks after and his first words were "I should have listened to you, what a sh!thole..."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
trickywoo The Intelligence Cell 5
Mighty_doh_nut Aviation 7
Mighty_doh_nut Aviation 6