Blackpool is a cesspit

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It was to me. I can remember Blackpool from 55 years ago, and it wasn't that bad then.
Yes it was. Visited BP once only in the 1960s and that was more than enough!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Blackpool is that bad I now go to Great Yarmouth...
we've had some decent nights out there, and it's a paradise on earth next to the absolute sh1thole blackpool is.
the last time I passed through blackpool I got out of my mates car to buy us a couple of cold drinks for the journey back to manchester and in one twenty yard stretch of pavement had three separate beshellsuited chav morons trying to pick a fight with me. if they ever give the north west an enema, blackpool has to be one of the leading candidates for where they stick the hose.

I have vague memories of a very small part of Blackpool in the 1970's. I don't recall any litter or vandalism. The main draw of course was the lights at night. There was the pier with old fashioned arcade games, the ghost train and lots of places selling sticks of rock and other sugary treats that should probably have been rationed but ate them all the same. Seaside resort towns weren't my thing but it's a real shame that they declined in the last thirty or forty years. TVR used to make cars near Blackpool iirc. Below is a description and link of a video:
"Blackpool: a forgotten town"

"Soaring antidepressant usage and falling life expectancy are just a few of the problems facing UK coastal towns like Blackpool. The FT's employment correspondent, Sarah O'Connor, and data visualisation journalist, John Burn-Murdoch, explain."

https://next-media-api.ft.com/renditions/15126664679010/1920x1080.mp4

Blackpool: a forgotten town | Financial Times

Last edited:
@Northern_Biff FYI Scousers don't go to BP, it's mainly Mancs & Lancs (Bolton, Blackburn, Preston).

We went with the kids when they were young, and went back about 10 years later to do the lights on the way back from the lakes.

It had deteriorated noticeably in 10 years. Could not believe the number of DSS druggies and rag arrsed hen parties with their usual classy gear -- some of the worst female sights I've ever seen, and not even after several pints and whisky chasers would I ever be tempted to bed one.

Go back a bit from the seafront and you have to play dodge the puke pools and watch out for the druggies trying to make you for their next fix.

It used to be cheap and tacky in a fun way, but now it's just cheap and nasty.

Last edited:
Yep, even worse than Skegness.
Bugger. I was going to ask @kiwidoug if he had ever visited Skeggy.
If there is one place - apart from Liverpool, that exemplifies northern chavs, it's Skegness.
Do all of these half decent, northern villages and towns (and to be fair, there are some lovely places, up north) send all of their scumbags, and utter twäts to live there?

If there is one place - apart from Liverpool, that exemplifies northern chavs, it's Skegness.
Do all of these half decent, northern villages and towns (and to be fair, there are some lovely places, up north) send all of their scumbags, and utter twäts to live there?
Except that Skeggy is south of the Humber, so (to me) is not 'northern', unless you're one of those soft, perfumed Home Counties poofs for whom 'the north' starts at Welwyn Garden City.;)

Except that Skeggy is south of the Humber, so (to me) is not 'northern', unless you're one of those soft, perfumed Home Counties poofs.;)
Mate. As far as I'm concerned, anyone north of the 'Watford Gap' is a Northern Monkey.

Blackpool is a bit like Sarfend in Essex where all the Londinistan Councils send their junkies and alkies, chaves and ne'er do wells to live. Blackpool is possibly going the same ways with seedy back street B & B hotels being paid to take in local chavs, mongs, alkies and druggies for somewhere to live.

Yes. Yes it is. Went there once to see the lights, didn't get out of the car,

I'm back in the UK for a while, and have just completed a three week touring holiday with SWMBO and my wee granddaughter. A lovely time was had by all, until we reached Blackpool.
I cannot remember why we booked in here, but I never want to ever come back.
It's chav central, with an extra dose of pikies. Whatever charm it ever had is long gone, and why it exists at all beats me.
I have seen many unpleasant sights in my time, but the appearance of a half naked drugged up beggar, covered in sores and bandages, with ECG leads still attached to his emaciated torso beats anything I've seen in the pits of the Far East.
WTF has happened to GREAT Britain?
I was in Blackpool about three years ago (took Mum to the Spire Fylde Clinic for an operation on her spine) & it was a sad sight; tatty, run down, scrotes everywhere & more than a few boarded up seafront hotels.
Prior to that, I was there in 1986 & the place was clean, booming & fun.
Further back, Dad was foreman joiner when they built the Mecca Ballroom complex in 1964-5 & being a nipper, the bright lights & fancy trams were a real delight.
The town away from the seafront's no different from any other northern one but for some reason, detritus always accumulates in the parts nearest the shore, where it should be at its best.
Depressing to say the least.