Blackberry Whisky - what to do with the leftovers

It as taken me 3 years but I have perfected my Blackberry Whisky.

I am now loathe to just drop the leftover remains of blackberres steeped in whisky into the bin. Hell it tasted that good that even Mrs SG liked it, and she hates Whisky.
Any suggestions on what I can do with the steeped remains? (about 4.5 lbs to be exact)

I read in another thread about Sloe gin using the remains to flavour Port then dark chocolate. An ideas if that would work with the Whisky and Blackberry mix?

All sensible suggestions greatfully received.

Thanks, had already considered the blackberry crumble, although adding a whisky sauce to the already steeped contents would make it a bit OTT. Well for Mrs SG and sproglet anyhow as they both loathe whisky. :roll:

Even after my best efforts when she was teething with my old mans cure of Whisky warm water and brown sugar as a gum numbing rub :wink:

Smear yourself in it and let the wife lick it off you. HtH

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sounds ideal for cranachan.

Recipes vary but basically layers of cream with toasted oatmeal and fruit usually raspberries but blackberries work well. Can also use shortbread instead of the oatmeal.

Mince pies.

Add equal weight of sugar to the blackberry pulp and bring to the boil. Add suet and mixed fruit plus ground mixed spice in proportions that look likely.

Pastry:
8oz self raising.
4 oz lard
pinch salt
water to mix.

hot oven about 180 - 200deg c.

about ten minutes.

Job jobbed.

How well have the blackberries retained their form? If they've pulped right down then strain the liquid and add gelatine - hey presto, blackberry jelly shooters!

If they're still in good shape, layer them in a sundae glass with whipped cream and crumbled digestive bisuits.

EX_STAB said:
Pastry:
8oz self raising.
4 oz lard
pinch salt
water to mix.

Do you make your pastry with lard as the only fat? 8O
Are there benefits? Or is it just convenient?
I've never heard of anyone doing that.
I used to use half and half - lard and Echo (hard margerine), but, nowadays, just use hard margerine as the only fat.
I guess I could try using just lard. 8O

I use mine for cranachan sometimes but usually I make a pain perdu styley (Bread & butter pudding for the junior ranks and RLC officers) pudding. Essentially layer brioche with berries in dish. Add custard but add some Bailey's...yummy yummy and very sophisticated as well as filling!

You can also make a gelee - jelly! - with fruit suspended in it. Tres Jamie Oliver's Christmas.

Also wrap blobs of it in filo and use as nibbles - pop a brazil nut in these, it works - either alone or with cheese.

Finally, this is an idea I am about to put into practise because we are bottling this weekend - I am going to do baked apples but stuffed with the berry gloop rather than raisins.

The only problem with blackberry pulp is that it is full of tiny pips which are as hard as Oakwood.

SecurityGeek said:
Would you care to share your secrets? Sounds interesting.

bovvy said:
EX_STAB said:
Pastry:
8oz self raising.
4 oz lard
pinch salt
water to mix.

Do you make your pastry with lard as the only fat? 8O
Are there benefits? Or is it just convenient?
I've never heard of anyone doing that.
I used to use half and half - lard and Echo (hard margerine), but, nowadays, just use hard margerine as the only fat.
I guess I could try using just lard. 8O
I wouldn't use margarine to grease the hinges of my garden gate. Revolting stuff. Try looking at the ingredients on a tub of it and tell me if you know what half of them are!

Trifle.

That is all.

GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
SecurityGeek said:
Would you care to share your secrets? Sounds interesting.
Thanks for all the ideas so far.

For anyone interested you need;
2kg/4lb of blackberries
225g/8oz sugar (or less according to taste)
1 x bottle of whiskey

1. Place fruit,sugar and whisky in a large screw top or kilner style jar. Shake every few days until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Place in a dark cupboard for 3 months turning slowly to mix once every 2 weeks or so.
3. strain and bottle. The Whisky will have turned a deep, dark purple. It can be drunk straight away, but the flavour will continue to improve for up to 2 years.

I use a demijohn for storage and Grouse as the whisky of choice (normally 1ltr). I have been upping the sugar levels as the first two attempts were somewhat bitter. This year I added the addition of the remains of mrs SG's blackberry jam production b products along with 6oz of sugar to add the sweetness. I have come away wih 1.75 litres of very drinkable blackberry whisky.
I also filter it through coffee filters to get rid of the sludge for the refined palates (females) who dont appreciate blackberry sludge in their glass :) This takes a long time so set aside about 2 hours for a litre of whisky to drip through.

The original receipe was a Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall concoction that seemed to be interesting.

As an aside I have done pretty much the same with a bottle of vodka and a the remains from the plum jam making session. Makes up for the fact I missed my Sloe collection this year.

Using Grouse? Grrr...that makes me sooo mad! :)

Actually i use the Aldi Queen Victoria black Dragon Genuine Hong Kong Scotch Whisky myself. It tastes like whisky and it isn't too peaty. Peat and fruit are not a good mix. Also you can buy quite a few bottles of cheapo, add to the berries - not equal extra qty of berries for qty of whisky - I end up with about three kilos of berries and half a dozen bottles. I use about six oz dark sugar too, not granulated.

The best bit is when the hip-flasks come out during the 6N - very few people - unless they are gey fair ben - can id bramble whisky on the first nip.

Throw the leftovers onto the garden to make the grass grow better....or alternativly you could stick it all in a barrel and turn it into compost.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fugly Gaming and Software 3
ugly Gaming and Software 0
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 12