Blackberry Whisky - what to do with the leftovers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SecurityGeek, Dec 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It as taken me 3 years but I have perfected my Blackberry Whisky.

I am now loathe to just drop the leftover remains of blackberres steeped in whisky into the bin. Hell it tasted that good that even Mrs SG liked it, and she hates Whisky.
    Any suggestions on what I can do with the steeped remains? (about 4.5 lbs to be exact)

I read in another thread about Sloe gin using the remains to flavour Port then dark chocolate. An ideas if that would work with the Whisky and Blackberry mix?

All sensible suggestions greatfully received.
  2. Blackberry Crumble and whisky sauce...
  3. Thanks, had already considered the blackberry crumble, although adding a whisky sauce to the already steeped contents would make it a bit OTT. Well for Mrs SG and sproglet anyhow as they both loathe whisky. :roll:

Even after my best efforts when she was teething with my old mans cure of Whisky warm water and brown sugar as a gum numbing rub :wink:
  4. Make it into ice-cream
  5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Failing that, mix it with egg white and marzipan and smear it on the back of a piece of sun ripe gammon
  6. Bread and butter pudding, but with panatone instead of bread.
  7. Smear yourself in it and let the wife lick it off you. HtH
  8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sounds ideal for cranachan.

Recipes vary but basically layers of cream with toasted oatmeal and fruit usually raspberries but blackberries work well. Can also use shortbread instead of the oatmeal.
  9. Vanilla ice cream?

10. Mince pies.

Add equal weight of sugar to the blackberry pulp and bring to the boil. Add suet and mixed fruit plus ground mixed spice in proportions that look likely.

8oz self raising.
    4 oz lard
    pinch salt
    water to mix.

hot oven about 180 - 200deg c.

about ten minutes.

Job jobbed.
  11. How well have the blackberries retained their form? If they've pulped right down then strain the liquid and add gelatine - hey presto, blackberry jelly shooters!

If they're still in good shape, layer them in a sundae glass with whipped cream and crumbled digestive bisuits.
  12. Do you make your pastry with lard as the only fat? 8O
    Are there benefits? Or is it just convenient?
    I've never heard of anyone doing that.
    I used to use half and half - lard and Echo (hard margerine), but, nowadays, just use hard margerine as the only fat.
    I guess I could try using just lard. 8O
  13. I use mine for cranachan sometimes but usually I make a pain perdu styley (Bread & butter pudding for the junior ranks and RLC officers) pudding. Essentially layer brioche with berries in dish. Add custard but add some Bailey's...yummy yummy and very sophisticated as well as filling!

You can also make a gelee - jelly! - with fruit suspended in it. Tres Jamie Oliver's Christmas.

Also wrap blobs of it in filo and use as nibbles - pop a brazil nut in these, it works - either alone or with cheese.

Finally, this is an idea I am about to put into practise because we are bottling this weekend - I am going to do baked apples but stuffed with the berry gloop rather than raisins.
  14. The only problem with blackberry pulp is that it is full of tiny pips which are as hard as Oakwood.
  15. Would you care to share your secrets? Sounds interesting.