black watch

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by cdt_l/cpl, Dec 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i was just wondering can you join the the black watch if you are not scottish and one of your family members served with them during ww2?
  2. You can join any regiment in the British Army mate you dont have to be Scottish to join the Black Watch (3 Scots now).
  3. Please, guys, get the regimental titles right.

The Black Watch are The Black Watch ( 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland ). Equally The Royal Highland Fusiliers are The Royal Highland Fusiliers ( 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland ) and so on.

After such a fight, and so much emotion at the possible loss of the regimental titles we should use them. The English regiments do not have the same choice.

Referring to 1 SCOTS, 2 SCOTS etc is unnecessary and lazy. It subtly but inevitably takes us away from the proud collection of families that is the RRS towards a truly amalgamated regiment.

I was personally in favour of much of FAS - in terms of reorganisation, rather than cutting battalions - although I deplored the unecessary loss of regimental identity.

Now it has happened we must make it work, but we needn't play into the hands of those who would like to see a Corps of Infantry.
  4. Do you not have to be from Fiji to join the black watch?
  5. LMAO, now now young man, behave :D
  6. cdt l/cpl u have a pm.
  7. Lose the brackets.
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland are STILL the senior line regiment.
  9. Dont you mean The Royal Scots Borderers -1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland? .....Right Of Line, 1st (and 25th) of foot.

Bloody politicians! :twisted:
  10. No he doesn't . Right of the line is reserved for the Royal Regiment of Artillery when on parade with guns. Also 1 SCOTS are not the senior line Regiment they are a battalion of the SCOTS who are now the senior line Regiment
  11. OUCH!!!!!!!
  12. Double ouch! 8O 8O
  14. Actually you are wrong. The correct abbreviated title of the Royal Regiment of Scotland is SCOTS. 1/2/3/4/5 SCOTS therefore falls from this. Keeping our former titles is the unnecessary part of all of this and the part that has caused the most greivance. Certainly in 1/2/4/5 SCOTS everyone from Private to Sgt and 2Lt to Capt wanted to bin the names altogether and start afresh. From CSgt to WO1 and Maj to Maj Gen the old and bold wanted to fight for the names. HMG shafted us with this and we have had to make the best of it. Unfortunately, by and large, 3 SCOTS couldn't deal with this and had to make a song and dance about it all, wasting valuable time & resources and threatening the existence of other battalions within the division. With any luck they'll be the next Bn to go when the next round of cuts comes though.

Of course, it's just my opinion.

15. So, The Royal Regiment of Scotland is now the senior line Regiment