black watch

You can join any regiment in the British Army mate you dont have to be Scottish to join the Black Watch (3 Scots now).

Please, guys, get the regimental titles right.

The Black Watch are The Black Watch ( 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland ). Equally The Royal Highland Fusiliers are The Royal Highland Fusiliers ( 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland ) and so on.

After such a fight, and so much emotion at the possible loss of the regimental titles we should use them. The English regiments do not have the same choice.

Referring to 1 SCOTS, 2 SCOTS etc is unnecessary and lazy. It subtly but inevitably takes us away from the proud collection of families that is the RRS towards a truly amalgamated regiment.

I was personally in favour of much of FAS - in terms of reorganisation, rather than cutting battalions - although I deplored the unecessary loss of regimental identity.

Now it has happened we must make it work, but we needn't play into the hands of those who would like to see a Corps of Infantry.

Charlie_Cong said:

The Black Watch are The Black Watch ( 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland ). Equally The Royal Highland Fusiliers are The Royal Highland Fusiliers ( 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland ) and so on.

After such a fight, and so much emotion at the possible loss of the regimental titles we should use them. The English regiments do not have the same choice.

Referring to 1 SCOTS, 2 SCOTS etc is unnecessary and lazy. It subtly but inevitably takes us away from the proud collection of families that is the RRS towards a truly amalgamated regiment.

I was personally in favour of much of FAS - in terms of reorganisation, rather than cutting battalions - although I deplored the unecessary loss of regimental identity.

Now it has happened we must make it work, but we needn't play into the hands of those who would like to see a Corps of Infantry.
Lose the brackets.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland are STILL the senior line regiment.

Auld-Yin said:
And the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland are STILL the senior line regiment.
Dont you mean The Royal Scots Borderers -1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland? .....Right Of Line, 1st (and 25th) of foot.

Bloody politicians! :twisted:

JONESY24546113 said:
Auld-Yin said:
Dont you mean The Royal Scots Borderers -1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland? .....Right Of Line, 1st (and 25th) of foot.

No he doesn't . Right of the line is reserved for the Royal Regiment of Artillery when on parade with guns. Also 1 SCOTS are not the senior line Regiment they are a battalion of the SCOTS who are now the senior line Regiment

Charlie_Cong said:

I was personally in favour of much of FAS - in terms of reorganisation, rather than cutting battalions - although I deplored the unecessary loss of regimental identity(quote)

Man you really DID drink the Kool Aid!

Charlie_Cong said:
Actually you are wrong. The correct abbreviated title of the Royal Regiment of Scotland is SCOTS. 1/2/3/4/5 SCOTS therefore falls from this. Keeping our former titles is the unnecessary part of all of this and the part that has caused the most greivance. Certainly in 1/2/4/5 SCOTS everyone from Private to Sgt and 2Lt to Capt wanted to bin the names altogether and start afresh. From CSgt to WO1 and Maj to Maj Gen the old and bold wanted to fight for the names. HMG shafted us with this and we have had to make the best of it. Unfortunately, by and large, 3 SCOTS couldn't deal with this and had to make a song and dance about it all, wasting valuable time & resources and threatening the existence of other battalions within the division. With any luck they'll be the next Bn to go when the next round of cuts comes though.

Of course, it's just my opinion.

craftsmanx said:
JONESY24546113 said:
Auld-Yin said:

No he doesn't . Right of the line is reserved for the Royal Regiment of Artillery when on parade with guns. Also 1 SCOTS are not the senior line Regiment they are a battalion of the SCOTS who are now the senior line Regiment

So, The Royal Regiment of Scotland is now the senior line Regiment

nomadcelt said:
Charlie_Cong said:
Actually you are wrong. The correct abbreviated title of the Royal Regiment of Scotland is SCOTS. 1/2/3/4/5 SCOTS therefore falls from this. Keeping our former titles is the unnecessary part of all of this and the part that has caused the most greivance. Certainly in 1/2/4/5 SCOTS everyone from Private to Sgt and 2Lt to Capt wanted to bin the names altogether and start afresh. From CSgt to WO1 and Maj to Maj Gen the old and bold wanted to fight for the names. HMG shafted us with this and we have had to make the best of it. Unfortunately, by and large, 3 SCOTS couldn't deal with this and had to make a song and dance about it all, wasting valuable time & resources and threatening the existence of other battalions within the division. With any luck they'll be the next Bn to go when the next round of cuts comes though.

Of course, it's just my opinion.
Of course.

Clinging to the old titles is absurd. If the SCOTS are to succeed we must begin by instilling regimental pride in the NEW REGIMENT not their antecedents.
Perhaps the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were right in insisting on disbandment rather than amalgamation.

What a gigantic balls up the whole thing has become.

Please folks don't forget the Territorial Battalions of 6 & 7 Scots, Lowlanders & Highlanders respectively. 7th Battalion currently has a Composite Company on Operations.

3 SCOTS would have gone during the last round of cuts if there had been a level playing field and not so many Scottish Politicians with influence over the decision.
There is nothing worse than a bad decision being made worse by unfairness.........which is what we got - - thanks POD.

Whistles. No use raking over old coals. I fell into a trough of depression when my old parent regiment became part of 1 SCOTS though no amount of finger pointing or recrimination will resurrect it. Best we get behind the new regiment (we can start by identifying them by their new title rather than the conciliatory ones) else they'll quickly lose another Bn.