Black Watch: A Soldiers Story

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldmuso, Aug 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not seen it but this play is meant to be good, and I think it is approved by The Black Watch themselves. Looks like these programmes are only being transmitted in Scotland though. The play's being put on at the Barbican in London in June 2008. UPDATE: Also on at Rothes Halls, Glenrothes, Fife from March 27 to April 5 2008 and SECC Glasgow from April 11 to 18.

Black Watch: A Soldier's Story
    The inside story of the National Theatre of Scotland's hugely successful production Black Watch, with insight from the show's creators interwoven with the moving personal stories of soldiers who actually served in Iraq. As the play tours Scotland, events at home and abroad underline its relevance and increase its emotional impact.
    ArtWorks Scotland
    Sunday 26 August
    9:00pm - 10:00pm
    BBC2 Scotland

BLACK WATCH
    Based on interviews with soldiers who served in Iraq, this mix of words, music and song reveals what it means to be part of the legendary Scottish regiment, to go to war and make the journey home. The National Theatre of Scotland's award-winning production was filmed live in Dingwall and contains very strong language.
    Monday 27 August
    10:00pm - 11:30pm
    BBC2 Scotland

2. I saw the play in Dumfries back in May - and was very impressed by it.I dont know how it will work on TV as its not a TV Drama,but the National Theatre of Scotland stated that Auntie Beeb had spent a lot of money filming the production.

The actual play is beening screened on BBC2 Scotland on Monday 27 August @ 9:00pm.

3. Thanks JONESY24546113 I hadn't spotted the Monday transmission of the actual play.

4. Does anyone know if there are plans to reshow this play on any of the channels?

Thanks in advance

F

5. I hope so. When these two programmes were first screened I asked my mother to tape them. Sat down to watch them when back in Perth for Christmas, and neither went right to the end. Thanks Mum.

6. I had the same problem with the actual play as Sky+ cut off the last couple of minutes, damn it!

Just for your info I emailed the BBC sometime ago to ask whether this would be sold on DVD, they replied they had no plans to do so. The lass from the Beeb added that the play will be on at the Barbican in the summer and there maybe plans to reshow on TV at that point.

Hope that helps ease the failing of your Ma!

Jimima

7. Thanks JS. I might try and get to the Barbican, I thought the play was excellent. Would buy the dvd if available, any beeb bods reading this take note!

8. Good work Jonesy. I'll be attending the Barbican this summer.

Jimima

9. UPDATE:

I just received the following email from Fiona Hanrahan at the BBC it appears there's been some demand.

I'll be ordering mine right now.

Jimima

10. Snap

11. It £14.99 on Amazon & now in the wish list so thats one Christmas present sort

12. That's great. If it is the same National Theatre of Scotland production as was screened by BBC Scotland last year it was filmed at the Ross County FC premises in Dingwall, which is where I first saw it. Unforgettable.