Black Watch: A Soldiers Story - On now BBC 2 Scotland

Not seen it but this play is meant to be good, and I think it is approved by The Black Watch themselves. Looks like these programmes are only being transmitted in Scotland though. The play's being put on at the Barbican in London in June 2008.

Black Watch: A Soldier's Story
The inside story of the National Theatre of Scotland's hugely successful production Black Watch, with insight from the show's creators interwoven with the moving personal stories of soldiers who actually served in Iraq. As the play tours Scotland, events at home and abroad underline its relevance and increase its emotional impact.
ArtWorks Scotland
Sunday 26 August
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC2 Scotland

BLACK WATCH
Based on interviews with soldiers who served in Iraq, this mix of words, music and song reveals what it means to be part of the legendary Scottish regiment, to go to war and make the journey home. The National Theatre of Scotland's award-winning production was filmed live in Dingwall and contains very strong language.
Monday 27 August
10:00pm - 11:30pm
BBC2 Scotland

Some of the Jocks have seen it and say it is very good albeit with a few anti war comments. Did very well in the Edinburgh Festival when it first came out.

Will watch, tape and sell to gullible tourists as the Official History..."sold on behalf of the BLUE Hackle Foundation" :D

Thanks for letting us know.

Any chance a Scots ARRSEr could copy it digitally and post in on the internet? Being a Mashman who only uses his PC to look at girls with no clothes on I'm pretty knackered on both counts. :D

Would be much appreciated.

Charlie

Mrs hackle and I saw the play in Scotland earlier this year. We both thought it was brilliant - don't miss it if you get the chance.

Bonuses in this evening's programme - Dingwall High Street and the Camerons Egypt Memorial in Inverness!

The actual play is on BBC2 Scotland @ 10.00 pm tomorrow (Monday). What about other areas?

hackle said:
Bonuses in this evening's programme - Dingwall High Street and the Camerons Egypt Memorial in Inverness!

The actual play is on BBC2 Scotland @ 10.00 pm tomorrow (Monday). What about other areas?
It's not on BBC2 England - thankfully Sky allows viewing of other regions BBC programmes, it's on channel 990, not sure about freeview - anyone?

Just watched the documentary, very moving, I'm betting the play is more so!

Jimima

I saw the play and was blown away - if anyone could burn me a DVD copy of this when it goes out (I'm in China) I will pay hard currency to a Charity of your choice.

For anyone who missed it on Monday night or can't receive BBC 2 Scotland, the play and accompanying documentary are available for download through the BBC iPlayer up to seven days after they're broadcast. You'll need to sign up first then download the iPlayer software (you'll need Win XP SP2 and Internet Explorer). The picture size won't be huge, but from my experience of other programmes it should be very clear. On the plus side, they should hopefully include subtitles if you need them (I haven't been able to get them working myself).

They may also be available through Virgin's Video on Demand too.

I sent an email to the National Theatre of Scotland some weeks ago about the chances of this being released on DVD, below is the reply. I know I will be there. Wait Out for further details.

Jimima

Thanks for your email.

At the moment there are no plans for a commercial release of a Black Watch DVD. Black Watch will be showing at the Barbican next summer and it may be the BBC's plan to re-show the Artworks programmes prior to this. Any info regarding this and further touring dates for Black Watch will be seen on our website www.nationaltheatrescotland.com.

Hope this helps,
Fiona