Black Tie

Discussion in 'Officers' started by blonde_guy, Jan 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having over the past few years been to a number of black tie dinners, balls & functions, when did it become acceptable/de rigeur for some people to wear blue velvet jackets?

I have seen this a number of times, even once with a pair of trews which looked frankly awful (the jacket not the trews!)
  2. Horses for courses. It depends on where the party/ dinner is being held. If it is ultra formal and off your home turf I would advise against. Of course, the jacket doesn't have to be blue, there are all sorts of variations, red, green etc.

I'm with you on the whole 'trews' thing - if you really are that jock then wear a skirt!
  3. Blue velvet DJ and trews? Why are you dining with Ronnie Corbett?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I'm actually a fan of the trews! But the velvet jacket look is just a bizarre one.
  5. If it was ultra formal you'd be wearing white tie and tails :D

Taken that it was after 1800 hrs or sunset!
  6. Not if you're Ronnie Corbett......
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Entirely acceptable if you dress for dinner at home* but don't want to appear too formal with your wife and servants. On the other hand, if you wear it when you go out, you'll look a bit naff.

Edited to add:

*If you live in the country that is. Definitely not acceptable in London or any of the major provincial towns.
  8. I would agree but then would point out that trews are correct form after staff parade.
  9. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Since midnight blue and ruffles used to be frightfully de rigeur, I don't think that there is a 'form' any more. Having seen some of the ghastly efforts in the City (shiny suits, rented wing collars with no starch, polyester ties, shoes I wouldn't use to dig the garden) I think, if you have the right panache, you can get away with anything.

Who are you really trying to impress?
  10. Haven't attended a black tie function in the UK for a couple of decades though I've noticed in recent years, from photographs contemporaries have sent me, more and more serving and retired officers (ex Lowland Regiments) attending non military black tie functions wearing trews of their family/clan tartan with their dinner jackets. It looks quite decent though was not done in my day - when did it creep in?
  11. IMHO it depends on the stated dress for the even.

If stated as black tie then it has to be black tie and a tuxedo.

If stated as evening wear or dinner jackets then variations on the theme are welcome.
  12. Not sure really, but I've seen it a lot and think it looks good. As long as you have a solid connection to a tartan, go for it.

Incidentally, where is a good place to buy tartan material (with a view to tailoring) or trews themselves?
  13. If you have no family connections, go for Government Tartan, so long as you have served in some capacity, then you have every right.
  14. I have family connections so not worried about that part really.
  15. Geoffrey Tailors, right at the top of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. He does fittings in London monthly too I believe.