Black tie. What clown did not realise that means a Bowtie?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BuggerAll, Dec 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why are so many men wearing long black ties with dinner jackets? Has anyone had the nerve to turn up at a mess with one - I hope he was lynched with it. Where has this fashion come from?

Is it possible that some clown got an invitation to a black tie do and did not realise that he was supposed to wear a bow tie? If this was the case why did anyone else copy him?

2. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Surely one only keeps a 'long' black tie for funerals?

One hopes that officers would know better!

3. Better still if it's a clip-on bow tie; that can be a source of merriment as you set fire to a collected pile of them :)

4. Purple_Flash

Look on the bright side; at least it wasn't one of those strange bootlace things that Texans wear!

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've some sympathy with the bootlace. The wearer, presumably, is aware that he is defying convention and that is what he intends to do. The wearer of the 'long' black tie is either an ignorant prat or a foolish follower of fad.

6. I think you'll find it started at the Oscars and impressionable 'trendy' types thought it looked good.

7. I can confess to having done it, almost.

In my defence, I'm a student; I only have one black bow tie, it was muddy from a party the night before the dinner, and my apparently black tie was - in fact - very dark green and the room ill-lit.

Fair defence?

8. I first noticed this phenomena with the likes of Wayne Rooney at David and Posh's last bash.
    I am sure it all began with misunderstanding what *Black Tie* means.

9. Purple_Flash

Well, they're hardly gentry are they? I suppose they knew no better.

10. I wore a Texan bootlace thingy, with a skull as the centrepiece, to an HAC ball in the 90s.

My excuse was that, despite being in the Regiment, I was also in the regimantal rock band, and we were playing that night. I thought it looked rather natty.

Sensibly, the HAC don't have any form of tie in mess dress, so I didn't have one cut especially to tie in a bow.

Of course, if you want to trace it all back, a tie is just that, a tie, ie a piece of cloth which, almost inexplicably, became fashionable to wear around the neck, in many different ways.

The "dinner" thing required, in late Victionaian and early Edwardian eras, a tie to be tied in a bow, hence the bow tie.

But if you look back, it was considered quite proper before that, to wear a mad big frilly black silk hanging thing, tied in almost any way you fancied, infact, the more modern kiltmakers are encouraging the use of just such a tie at dinner.

So let's not all jump to conclusions.

I know what you mean about the shiny-suited ones though.

There is a big difference in wearing something mad and effete, which was probably all the rage in days of yore, and just turning up as if you are a footballer going to the funeral of a chum who fatally crashed his Ferrari.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I thought there was nothing worse than the matching ready-made coloured bow tie and cummerbund (invariably pronounced 'cumberband' by those who buy and wear such things) set, but I see that I was wrong.

12. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

i thank god i'm a woman ... i could do that on someone else though ... well perhaps :lol:

14. Even if the said set is a spectacular example of 1970's fashion in dark green, swirly velour? I have found the oversized (and might I add cushioned!!) bow tie provides a very satisfactory chin pillow for after-dinner speeches. :oops: