Black Tape

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BTDT, Aug 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been out a few years so I need an update.

In my day, most of the Army was mended/held together with the ubiquitous black tape. I never heard it called anything else but "black tape".

In civilian life, most people call strong adhesive tape of this type "duct tape".

What is the current in-service term - "black tape", "duct tape", "Duck tape" or something completely different.

I only ask because I want to know.

2. Black Nasty?

3. Harry Black

4. Black nasty for me to. Civvies call it gaffer tape. Lord knows why, especially because it's:

a. Black
    b. Nasty

P.S Duct tape is a trade mark is it not?

5. Duck tape is the brand name .duct tape is the american term even though building regs say you cant use it on ducts anymore .gaffa tape, harry black black&nasty,uk terms .

6. Duck tape is a trade mark. Duct tape is the generic term (also used by the Duck tape company). Gaffer tape is stronger and non reflective, originally used mainly in tv and film work.

7. Woody - wasn't correcting you: our posts went in almost simultaneously.

8. Colloquially Black Nasty, otherwise Tape Black GP. (Various widths)

9. Normally call it bodge tape

10. I quite like the Canadian name "1,000 mile per hour tape", as that is how fast it disappears

11. Just to add further to previous comments, I'm under the belief that civvies call it gaffer tape after the "gaffer," who is the lighting foreman on TV and film sets, as the tape is frequently used for taping up gels (doesn't melt in the heat) and taping down cables.

Anyway, just checked this on wikipaedia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

and lo and behold, saw this:-

"The tape is commonly referred to within the British Army as 'black and nasty'."

So who's been contributing to wikipaedia?

Also found these interesting anecdotes:-

"Duct tape is also called 100mph Tape in the military, citing the urban legend that duct tape will maintain its adhesion when subjected to winds traveling at up to 100 miles per hour."

"NASA engineers' faith in duct tape as an emergency tool was rewarded in 1970, when the square carbon dioxide filters from Apollo 13's failed command module had to be modified to fit round receptacles in the lunar module, which was being used as a lifeboat after an explosion en route to the moon. Engineers designed a workaround using duct tape and other items on board Apollo 13, relaying directions to the spacecraft's crew. The lunar module CO2 scrubbers started working again, saving the lives of the three astronauts onboard."

Also odd link:-

http://www.ducttapeguys.com/

Isn't it marvelous stuff?
    Right, I'm off to find where I left my life................

12. I've heard it referred to as "Harry Maskers" and "Black Maskers".

13. Para/SAS/Commando/SBS tape according to ebay...

14. Fcuk me, Nasa thought of everything.

15. Harry Black Makers always is and always was