Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BLACK SWAN Sloop

Yokel

LE
Primary road is doing a spot of drug interdiction and helping out after a hurricane.
A Bay class LSD is a better option for that role. It's not as if they are contemplating actually fighting a naval action.

Although the WIGS/APT(N) frigate/destroyer was meant to be the first reinforcement to the South Atlantic in a crisis.

On topic question - can a ship perform a secondary MCM role without comprimising primary AAW/ASW functions?

S0I

LE
It's not a secondary mine countermeasures role. You self sweep your own path in a transit or a landing operation where you will have to stand inshore. It's an organic capability.

It's not a secondary mine countermeasures role. You self sweep your own path in a transit or a landing operation where you will have to stand inshore. It's an organic capability.

And who's conducting ASW for you whilst you do this?. It makes more sense to leave the Frigate doing its job and bring along a river or 2 with the MCM stuff.

S0I

LE
And who's conducting ASW for you whilst you do this?. It makes more sense to leave the Frigate doing its job and bring along a river or 2 with the MCM stuff.

So you have to transit a choke point and suspect sonone my lave planted a mine, what do you do. Wait for sweeper to show up? Carrying your own autonomous mine hunting fit is no different to having your own ASW or aaw fit.

Carrying it fine, but are you also carrying a skilled team of operators (extra crew and cost just in case n unlikely scenario occurs or relying on a steep learning curve and some really intense OJT.

If its a likely scenario MCM should already be there

S0I

LE
Revolt in Bumholia, RN ship detailed to go there and help restore order/ rescue nationals. Rebels say they've dropped a couple of mines in the harbour.

Do you drop your AUVs into the water and clear a channel in, or do you sit off the coast for months while they ship a couple of sweepers out via heavy lift charter or sail them out in slow time.

Do I have a qualified team on board ?.

In you scenario Flying out a team to operate of a Type 26 and leave their Hunt at home - works, its logical, its doable.

Keeping an MCM team embarked just in case doesn't, (how will they maintain skills on a T26 busy doing Frigate stuff.

War fighting the MCM needs its own ships Type 26 will be busy. The advances in technology mean it can be embarked on a suitable hull rather than an expensive purpose built hull.

All he above assumes though that AUV technology and other advances work as advertised, If not its back to waiting for GRP dingy to turn up and search

Yokel

LE
If not one could be on board shortly.

Lob 'em out of a Herc if needed.

Isn't this sort of thing what StanFlex was made for?

Noooooooooooo! I think the Danes found that the concept did not work in practice.

Yokel

LE
I think the crewing issue was the killer one - if they are up to speed to equipment fit x, changing it to fit y means they have to start learning basics.

CmdKeen

Old-Salt
There's more to a Sandown than a GRP hull, space for SeaFox and embarked muppets - like its station keeping system and VDS. Given the relative costs are a couple of orders of magnitude different the capability gap is going to be massive.

Given the cost of a couple of AUVs capable of operating without a platform with a proper mine hunting sonar is going to be massive they aren't going to be embarked on every overseas deployment. Much more likely we'd end up with a few stashed somewhere like Faslane and a nominated MCMV crew at X NTM to deploy with them.

Latest Threads