Black Soldier in WW1 KOSB

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gobbyidiot, Jun 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never had the pleasure of meeting mine, of course. But I do know he fought in WWI as a soldier in one of the Highland Regiments. I have little doubt that he would happily have bayonted Griffen. :twisted:
  2. I would love to read the full transcript of the diary, he seems to be a very humorous fellow with a descriptive eye.
  3. The army in WWI was extremely racist. In fact the whole country pretty much was. Nick Griffin would have fitted in well.

What made you find this non event topic interesting anyway?
  4. I'm sure there was an incredible amount of what we would recognise as racism, but people forget the other side. The first mass political campaign of ordinary people was against the slave trade - most of the people involved didn't have the vote themselves, and the arse was out of their trousers, but they still went out of their way to protest agaimst slavery.

I suppose at the minute I'm a bit wound up about fat f*cks appropriating the term "British", and meaning by that "racist, inbred, mindless, incoherent ********". Britishness is about ideas - parliamentary government, the rule of law, toleration, and it's been brought low by a bunch of self-seeking politicians and then picked back up by the scum of the earth. I'm white with blue eyes, but I'm not labouring under any misapprehensions that being "British" implies being any particular colour. It's an incidental historical fact that most Brits are white - not an inherent attribute. We're like the Americans - majority white, but irrelevantly so, because we have principles while "lesser breeds without the law" are lesser "breeds" precisely (and only) because they lack the law.

Paraphrasing Russell Crowe, the Anglos (not Rome) might be "the light", but not because they are white.
  5. A very sensible post for a Sunday afternoon! Pubs shut where you are?

I think attitudes to racism are interesting. The Army is racist in that we understand people are different and rip the p*ss accordingly - But there's nothing wrong with that, because we also respect each other. I imagine it wasn't all that different back then!
  6. Are you talking about America or Britain? Because I can't find anything saying the British public cared one way or the other.
  7. That is a very interesting story. Stop and think about it for a moment though, another young British man who's life almost slipped into obscurity. The part he personally played in the wider scheme of things would have been very small but would also have been very large as well. He fought the fight and was almost forgotten, like so many. Just a personal reflection, that's how I see these things. We will always owe so much to these fine men.
  8. They will all be forgotten in the end.

Who remembers the Battle of Brunaburgh?

or the Battle of Ashdown?

or Maldon?

or Hastings?

or the Battle of Gravelines?

They were all important battles to keep the invader from our shores. The only reason recent wars will be remembered is because we have photos and video footage and it is the current trend to remember our fallen. It won't last forever, especially when we become a Muslim state.
  9. I think we should be sure of our definitions when we talk about racism. My definition is assigning characteristics and traits (mainly negative) to whole groups of people on the basis of their ethnicity and excluding them or treating them less favourably because of it.
    P1ss taking in the Army is done without vindictiveness or malice and is generally a sign of inclusion and respect rather than the opposite. Similarly jokes that poke a bit of fun albeit of an ethnic nature, such as lobsters on a beach or large penises although by nature poke fun at racial characteristics they are not designed to degrade or offend and therefore I feel are acceptable and not per ce racist.
    This is purely my personal definition.
  10. Why not come up to Hull and let me take you round the Wilberforce Museum that should settle things for you irrefutably.
  11. Wilberforce spoke for the majority of the country then did he?
    Can't see to many people who didn't even have the vote care what happened on the other side of the world.
    Those who wanted a trade union or were female or were catholic couldn't have been his biggest fans.
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Wiki? Seriously?
  13. So its all lies then?