Black rubber around rim of helmet

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by James51234, Nov 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Anyone know where i can get one of the black bands you often see stretched around the rim of helmets?

    Ive just fitted a scrim net onto my helmet, but need something to hold it in place, and heard that the black rubber bands were perfect.

    However i dont have a clue where to get one. Ive read other posts that say they come from tractor tyre inner tubes, or a landrover tyre inner tube, but where could i get one of these.

    Thanks for any help
  2. try self amalgamating tape found in any electricians tool box
  3. From the top of an NBC (CBRN) boot!
  4. You will need the rubber as tape dries up and falls off too quickly. Any servicing bay/kwik fit should have an old car inner tube lying about, tractor tube is too big. Just cut a piece straight across.
    Also cut the rest out of the tube and flog them on ebay as reserve 49 para stock.
  5. You QM will usually hold a supply.

    You will need to pre-stretch your band before attaching it. A long-weight is the best way of doing this. Ask one of your seniors to show you how it's done.

    Any probs, let me know.

  6. PB don't you have to suspend a long weighted inner tube over a bucket of steam to retain the elasticity? Best ask for one of these whe getting the long weight.
  7. PP, you're quite right. It's easier to demonstrate than explain though.

    In my experience most NCOs can supply a long-weight without too much trouble. You have only to ask.

  8. No, im sure the correct method is to use a sky hook to suspend the Rubber over the bucket of steam.....though i could be wrong!

    Cheers Easy!
  9. As Soprano 54 says, just use the top of an NBC boot. It does the job fine.
  10. Whilst you're getting the long weight from the Q stores, you'll need something to hang the skyhooks from, so ask for a short stand as well.
  11. I disagree ,a short stand would be better than a sky hook. sorry dont have the nsn for one though
    Edit for mong spelling ! 2nd edit for 1st edits mong spelling !
  12. But it had better be level. Get some bubbles for spirit levels while you're at it
  13. If you want some black rubber around your helmet, just pop around to MDNs on a Friday night. Sure he will be happy to help.
  14. Black condoms...
  15. "Black condoms... " I thought they were only issued to "Them" ( and 49 para)so you wont see them commi.. !