Black people twice as likely to be charged with drugs possession – report

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
well every black male I've ever known has been a stoner so it's a good conclusion.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
the comments, in true grauniad style, are typically hilarious.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I suppose it depends on the area, I've not got one patient who is black so I can safely assume no black people use drugs.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

the comments, in true grauniad style, are typically hilarious.
True, the fact that previous convictions for a like offence doesn't seem to appear anywhere.

Anyway, what is it with black yoof and drugs, that is so 80s, I thought it was all MAC 10s and Glocks nowadays, in case anyone disses yo bro, innit? Blood Clot Mutha ****er, Move from me! Yo ****ing white Trash!!*

*Translations are available via PM

well glad you came to a forum with opions (although you with cry racsist because of it) but since "Black People" are twice as likely to get pulled over, do you think there are stats to prove that "Black People" are more likely to be found with something

I thought it was the CPS rather than the police who decided whom to charge with what. Therefore it can hardly be as the result of institutional racism (which I severely doubt exists anyway) in the police.

Nobody should be searched, detained, questioned, interrupted about their business in any way, without reasonable grounds for suspicion. It's just fishing, a lazy police force's way of upping their stats without bothering to go out dealing with people visibly committing actual offences.

Though the politicians are as bad for trimming numbers to the bone and then running everything by statistics in an attempt to prove that things are better than they are.

Nobody should be searched, detained, questioned, interrupted about their business in any way, without reasonable grounds for suspicion. It's just fishing, a lazy police force's way of upping their stats without bothering to go out dealing with people visibly committing actual offences.

Though the politicians are as bad for trimming numbers to the bone and then running everything by statistics in an attempt to prove that things are better than they are.
Going by the "EDL blokes get punched thread" even with offences happening under their noses don't appear to get dealt with.

Or is it that you haven't understood the story?

It says that of those who have been caught with drugs the blacks are twice as likely to be charged for it than the whites.
I've understood the report very well thanks and the associated 'story' written in the guardian I was interested to hear the opinions on ARSSE, whether people feel there is institutional racism or if they feel social cultural or political reasons are more the cause. If we accept the premise that black people are not predisposed to commit more crime that white people then logically there must be a reason?

I think if the Police were allowed to do their job, of taking any crime off the street, without any Cultrural, Polititions or Correctness.Racisim is a card that the (majority) of a minority play when they are hiding something or dont get their own way.

I thought it was the CPS rather than the police who decided whom to charge with what. Therefore it can hardly be as the result of institutional racism (which I severely doubt exists anyway) in the police.
Well if you present twice as many cases to the CPS because you've stopped and arrested twice as many black people and this is not picked up I would suggest that is the very definition of institutional racism. The Mcphearson report disagreed with you and most police officers immediately took offence thinking it meant they were overtly racist which it didn't.

If you perceive black people as more likely to carry drugs and increase your policing in that area stop more black people you will get more arrests. If there is no institutional racism why do black and ethnics make up such a high percentage of the prison population?...(I'm waiting for the 'well they commit more crime'.. reply...)

Indeed.

And the CPS decisons will usually rest primarily (I understand, as it is all a very secret process!), on such factors as is the matter cautionable? ie is there a previously admitted related offence; and has the offender a previous conviction related?

In London, which has the most thorough data for such policing and accounts for half of all the stop-and-search incidents in England and Wales, 12.4% of white people found possessing cannabis in 2009/10 were charged, with almost 75% given a warning. For black people found with cannabis, 21.5% were charged and 65% warned.

There were also stark differences with the way courts deal with drug possession, with black people being jailed for the offence at six times the rate of white people.
The statistics here the Guardian needs to add before announcing fait accompli on prejudice are are to ask how many of the 21.5% charged; and those of the 5/6th jailed had previous convictions compared with the 12.4& and the 1/6th white jailed.

My suspicion would be, looking at the various problems the CPS had in dealing with the recent taxi driver child abuse ring, that if anything it seems as likely in in reality the full statistics might even show they are skewed the other way.