Black Mesa - 14th September

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by bigpod, Sep 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wanted to be the first to post this.

FYI, Black Mesa (Half Life reengineered for Source) will be available from 14th September.

I think I need to book a week off work.
  2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

****. There goes my pocket money.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Half life source came out years ago? I've got it on my steam account!
  4. They've really flogged the shit out of the source engine, its getting on for 9 years old now surely!
  5. It's free! As long as you have a Source product on Steam.
  6. Different thing. This is fully remade in source, rather than the old HL textures running in Source.
  7. Still a classic game, and orthodox a replay.
  8. Even with Source it looks bloody dated...
  9. I thought it got fecking tedious, quickly.
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

number two I finished quickly enough but never got off the mountain in the first as that bloody chopper kept fragging my lillywhite ass.

then game engine was brilliant so I'll enjoy this as its playable on a laptop with a trackball.

battlezone 1 and 2 are good players as well.
  11. BrunoNoMedals

Well it's out. Downloaded via Torrent (3GB) overnight; having spent the first two hours before I went to bed pulling in a hefty 5KBps it evidently picked up speed.

The game DOES NOT REQUIRE that you previously own a Source-based game. All you need to do is download the Source SDK 2007, which has been freely available via Steam for over a year. Open your Steam window and open the View menu in the top bar, then select Tools. This shows you the various development tools and server applications that you can obtain for nothing. Scroll down to Source SDK 2007 and install (it's only a couple of hundred MB), then install the Black Mesa files as per your download (some come with self-extractors, some don't).

When you next restart Steam, Black Mesa will appear in your games list.

Missus has just gone out for a couple of hours, so I'm off to start an alien invasion. Welcome back to 1998!
  12. After starting the thread, I got caught up in things yesterday and forgot to start the download. Now 50% downloaded, and expecting to lose the rest of the day.
  13. BrunoNoMedals

It's not as polished as HL2; you can definitely tell it's a user mod rather than a produced game. That said, it's still a very good interpretation of the original.