Black Lives Matter UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

So if you're poor and white don't bother.

So much for getting ahead on merit, eh? If we place people in positions of research due to their skin colour rather than their academic ability then things are obviously going to get worse. Worryingly, the same thing is happening in science.

I made a quick note of faces in ads one night, ads for the UK only and using actors, I got around 48% BAME.

Excluding two NHS animations about covid exclusively for BAME featuring no white people at all.

TamH70

MIA

So if you're poor and white don't bother.

So much for getting ahead on merit, eh? If we place people in positions of research due to their skin colour rather than their academic ability then things are obviously going to get worse. Worryingly, the same thing is happening in science.

Whelp, that's me not watching anymore of that racist, self-hating yet at the same time still smug old trout's programmes then.

Good. Another BBC creature to add to the list next to Attenborough Minor's.

Awol

LE
Society as a whole has now become obsessed with racism to the extent that declared racism is now clearly mostly artificial, and it’s the accusations of racism that are doing more damage at this point than racism itself.

The usual faux victims need to step back from so enthusiastically destroying other peoples’ lives over charges of perceived racism, and the rest of us need to defuse the situation, by boldly pointing out the obvious, and that is that the world doesn’t revolve around racism, that there is very little of it in the UK anymore and actually there are things in everyday life that are far worse than a black person’s hurt feelings. Childhood terminal illness for one.

Let’s see someone deny that.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Society as a whole has now become obsessed with racism to the extent that declared racism is now clearly mostly artificial, and it’s the accusations of racism that are doing more damage at this point than racism itself.

The usual faux victims need to step back from so enthusiastically destroying other peoples’ lives over charges of perceived racism, and the rest of us need to defuse the situation, by boldly pointing out the obvious, and that is that the world doesn’t revolve around racism, that there is very little of it in the UK anymore and actually there are things in everyday life that are far worse than a black person’s hurt feelings. Childhood terminal illness for one.

I’m not obsessed with it. I’m becoming increasingly anxious about it, though, because it’s being weaponised. 3 percent of the population is being used to control the rest.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The only “merit” of the show appeared to be that a black woman was playing an historically white woman.

As a history nut married to an even bigger history nut (who is fascinated by the Tudor period) that one aspect just wasn’t enough to get our attention.

The whole concept was designed as a vanity project / virtue signal and, frankly, that just made the show shallow and boring.

We couldn’t care less about the colour of an actor, only if the show is good.
Some time back in the eighties there was a Style Council video which had a young black woman reciting poetry (Jerusalem?) in the ceremonial garb of HMQ Liz II by a duckpond, in front of an audience of Mods including Paul Weller sitting on a Vespa. I assumed at the time that prodigious amounts of pharmaceuticals had been involved in the creative process, but now it seems the Modfather was just way ahead of the curve on the right-on spectrum. And at least the music was good.

I didn't watch Blud Boleyn so I can't comment on the quality of the script or acting, but if it's anything like as tonk as the recent Liz v Mary movie which had Saorse O'Peatcutter and Harley Quinn in the royal roles and a vibrant collection of lords and ladies, then it will never be seen again on any channel..

The very people who are the biggest proponents and instigators of woke cancel culture were the bigots and racists of 10 years ago - if you check their twitter feeds etc there will be plenty of evidence! however, they have now realised that the real power is in 'anti-racism' - so they now have a free hand to bully, intimidate, coerce, cancel, attack and humiliate to their hearts content. These people have not changed their spots, merely the cause they claim to be supporting. In essence, they are simply evil, nasty bullies and its long past time for the govt to produce legislation to cancel the cancellers , both online and businesses who buckle to them and act as the bullies proxies

Apparently this is legal to allow recruitment of trainee staff to represent the audience demographic.
I don’t see my local council introducing ‘women only shortlists’ to get more women riding the bin lorries though.
It always had been. The Equal ops act covers that plus a ruling back in the Nineties, EU inspired that positive discrimination was desirable, which sorta undermines the spirit of the act. That’s How Labour got all women shortlists. That said there was a time when binmen was closed shop, rather like lightermen but then most wimmin couldn’t be expected to hump, for low wages. :)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Some time back in the eighties there was a Style Council video which had a young black woman reciting poetry (Jerusalem?) in the ceremonial garb of HMQ Liz II by a duckpond, in front of an audience of Mods including Paul Weller sitting on a Vespa. I assumed at the time that prodigious amounts of pharmaceuticals had been involved in the creative process, but now it seems the Modfather was just way ahead of the curve on the right-on spectrum. And at least the music was good.

I didn't watch Blud Boleyn so I can't comment on the quality of the script or acting, but if it's anything like as tonk as the recent Liz v Mary movie which had Saorse O'Peatcutter and Harley Quinn in the royal roles and a vibrant collection of lords and ladies, then it will never be seen again on any channel..
Much as I like his music, Weller was very involved in the whole Red Wedge thing.

Being anti-establishment is very much a badge of honour for some. Tired rhetoric, but there are still plenty of Rick from The Young Ones types who wear the badges.

The Boleyn thing got awful reviews. The only thing remarkable about it was the casting, apparently.

The very people who are the biggest proponents and instigators of woke cancel culture were the bigots and racists of 10 years ago - if you check their twitter feeds etc there will be plenty of evidence!

Or closer to 30-40 years ago. If you look at some of the names in that Red Wedge link, there are a couple there who dabbled on the edges of the National Front in their youth. I'll leave you to decipher which.

The Left are allowed to grow up and change their views. The non-Left (because most of them are not 'Extreme Right Wing', they're quite centrist) must be forever damned.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It always had been. The Equal ops act covers that plus a ruling back in the Nineties, EU inspired that positive discrimination was desirable, which sorta undermines the spirit of the act. That’s How Labour got all women shortlists. That said there was a time when binmen was closed shop, rather like lightermen but then most wimmin couldn’t be expected to hump, for low wages. :)
One could suggest that they've been doing it for thousands of years...

Question: When does discrimination become positive?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Never IMHO, discrimination is always a barrier which prevents people from having the opportunity to succeed, and I can't see anything positive about that.

Problem is the less informed out there will take it as truth.

So much out there is "based on a true story" or a dramatisation of historical events. Sadly, people think it's close enough to the truth to make no difference and so become even more ignorant and misinformed.

Pah!
Next you'll be suggesting that Captain Aleksandrovic Ramius didn't sail his Sub to the USA at the height of the cold war, in order to defect.

It's quite Orwellian isn't it?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Slime

LE

Good question.
There are also two sides to positive discrimination, and sadly the end result is normally the only side that gets discussed.

What is rarely mentioned is the ‘triangle of helping’ or ‘helping triangle’.
If a job advertises as only wanting to pick black people, people often see black people as being seen to be being given special privilege..

The decision behind the concept is often ignored, namely someone or a group of people have assumed black people aren’t good/clever enough to get the job on their own merit, so need special treatment to be able to compete with non black people in the job market.

Those same people need to have assumed they have ‘better or higher’ moral standards than other people around them as they have decided to give black people a leg up or helping hand……………forgetting that that also means that in their opinion black people actually need a helping hand.

As with many self appointed do-gooders, the self appointed people are often from a different demographic to those they think they are ‘offering help’.

I know the above is all obvious, but it bugs me that it gets ignored. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.