Black Lives Matter UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

LE
I'll also add, again, because I'm sure I've said this before, me and my mates were the ones who were always the target of stop and search where I grew up, I presume this is because there weren't any of those terrible darkies about so the pigs had to bully someone so moved up the "white privilege" ladder...

The only out and out racist I met (because even the NF guys were actually probably just into the look rather than the politics) was a Labour party official who during a debate said what are we going to do if the blacks outnumber us, (the implication being that they bred like rabbits), they'll be able to vote other blacks in!

I think we've moved on a long way since the late 70's & early 80's of my childhood but apparently we're now all institutionally racist now.

The statistics of stop and search should always be combined with who were available to be stopped in any set timeframe.

There are obvious reasons why some groups are stopped at certain times and others aren’t…………….The ‘others’ weren’t out in public so weren’t stopped.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
What I find a mystery is somebody with a high profile gets shot and nobody from her community that were present has said anything to help bring the perpetrator to justice.
Of course it's possible that they fear for their safety if they do say anything, which is awful in itself.
Or they know who it is and don't want to grass them up as it can't be seen that they have turned on theirselves.

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
The statistics of stop and search should always be combined with who were available to be stopped in any set timeframe.

There are obvious reasons why some groups are stopped at certain times and others aren’t…………….The ‘others’ weren’t out in public so weren’t stopped.
Absolutely, I imagine those chaps who live in Brixton who get stopped feel about it much the same as I did as a lad...

Slime

LE
Absolutely, I imagine those chaps who live in Brixton who get stopped feel about it much the same as I did as a lad...

It’s obviously not just a colour thing either, or gender or age etc, it’s everything.

I’ve been stopped and searched, as has one of my kids. We were both stopped at different times as we looked similar to someone the police were looking for at that time.

The last time I was stopped was hilarious :)
I was stood outside my house and a copper ran up to me and grabbed my arm. Someone had been burgled nearby and I was the only person the police had seen on the street.
What was funny was the copper didn’t believe me when I said I was outside my own house (they probably get told that sort of thing all the time), so I invited him into the house to ‘I.D’ my family pics on the sideboard :)

Londo

LE
Been stopped and searched on three occasions in London some years ago
Didn't bother me in the slightest .

Londo

LE
It’s obviously not just a colour thing either, or gender or age etc, it’s everything.

I’ve been stopped and searched, as has one of my kids. We were both stopped at different times as we looked similar to someone the police were looking for at that time.

The last time I was stopped was hilarious :)
I was stood outside my house and a copper ran up to me and grabbed my arm. Someone had been burgled nearby and I was the only person the police had seen on the street.
What was funny was the copper didn’t believe me when I said I was outside my own house (they probably get told that sort of thing all the time), so I invited him into the house to ‘I.D’ my family pics on the sideboard :)
The last time I was stopped I was about 50 yards from my house .
Admittedly it was about 03.30 and was returning home after an evening and half the night of dipping my wick so was in very good humour .

bestri10

Old-Salt
I was stopped years back whilst walking by some flats that had just been broken into because i matched the exact description of the guy who done it, nothing you can do other then not act like a dick about it, if you haven't done anything wrong you don't need to worry.
If you get stopped its most likely because you match the description of people committing crimes, in my case white male, dark hair, exact same clothing etc.

Got stopped and searched in New Orleans when there for work. I was a bit gobby to the policeman and said here's my conference ID (I was in town for a conference), don't shoot me, as I rummaged around in my satchel with one arm, with another arm on the bonnet of his police car.

On reflection that was a really stupid thing to say/do and I'm lucky I didn't get shot. The policeman's explanation was I was out in a dodgy area late at night and just a week or so ago, they'd been a shooting on the same street (I didn't see it as a dodgy area and I was just returning from trying to find some non-deep fried food at the local Walmart). Otherwise I've never been stopped in the UK - not that it would be bother me if I was.

I was stopped years back whilst walking by some flats that had just been broken into because i matched the exact description of the guy who done it, nothing you can do other then not act like a dick about it, if you haven't done anything wrong you don't need to worry.
If you get stopped its most likely because you match the description of people committing crimes, in my case white male, dark hair, exact same clothing etc.
Stripey jumper - check; mask - check; bag over the shoulder marked 'Swag' - check; goes by the name of Winston Kidogo - nah, you're okay mate.

The Chris Rock video about this is great: be polite, don't be a dick!

I've never been searched but my brother has been searched multiple times as a teenager despite us looking very similar. I put this down to location (I did my underage drinking in pubs, he hung around in parks) and company (my mates didn't absolutely stink of weed).

I must be missing all the media stories of racist Met coppers searching little black grannies coming back from the shops with their trolleybags.

Slime

LE
I've never been searched but my brother has been searched multiple times as a teenager despite us looking very similar. I put this down to location (I did my underage drinking in pubs, he hung around in parks) and company (my mates didn't absolutely stink of weed).

I must be missing all the media stories of racist Met coppers searching little black grannies coming back from the shops with their trolleybags.

Hmmm, your last sentence could be why the U.K. has so much crime.

Do the police not know of the Hell’s grannies of Monty Python vintage?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmmm, your last sentence could be why the U.K. has so much crime.

Do the police not know of the Hell’s grannies of Monty Python vintage?
"Oh what a beautiful baby! "

I've been stopped a few times, wondering why I'm walking (staggering) the streets at stupid o'clock. Flash of a MOD 90 usually worked, apart from one young and obnoxious copper in GMP. His older and wiser colleague sent me on my way as I was only five minutes from home. A Wiltshire ARV gave me a lift back to Warminster one night.

What I find a mystery is somebody with a high profile gets shot and nobody from her community that were present has said anything to help bring the perpetrator to justice.
Of course it's possible that they fear for their safety if they do say anything, which is awful in itself.
Or maybe the community were sick of her 'big me' attitude

Last edited:
Or maybe the community were sick of 'big me' attitude
Reminds me of the last episode of Brookside where the parable of the Stranger's Field was hinted at getting rid (kill) someone they didn't want. Everyone had a hand in the shooting and the Police couldn't pin it on anyone. That is what seems to be happening

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Why can't we all just get along?
Because we're human.

A remarkably sane and well-spoken statement of what's actually being done to provide equality of opportunity for all by Liz Truss, the Equality Minister:

“My role as equality minister is to make sure everybody in Britain is treated equally regardless of their sex, their sexuality and their race. What we have seen over the past few years is the development of identity politics where there has been division created. People are described as being members of a group rather than for their own personal, individual humanity and dignity… We have just launched for example a big data project looking where are the gaps in education, employment and enterprise across the country, and how we can fix those. That is the approach we need to take… I think some of the identity politics we have seen focus on symbolism over real results has been divisive… I think most people aren’t interested in this so–called culture war, what they’re interested in is, “Am I being given a fair chance? Do I have a good chance of getting a job? Am I treated fairly by public services?” And that’s why I think our equality agenda should focus on, those bread and butter issues that are of concern to everyone in the country.”

People choosing to buy more land over their freedom should be a hint. But you, nor I, have any experience to compare the two with and we're equally not experienced in being black in Britain today.

That's frankly insulting. I, as a white male, have been assaulted, in the town I was born, for sounding English. In front of a policeman. Who told me if I didn't **** off, I'd get another one, and he'd do it properly.

Racism isn't always about colour.

That's frankly insulting. I, as a white male, have been assaulted, in the town I was born, for sounding English. In front of a policeman. Who told me if I didn't **** off, I'd get another one, and he'd do it properly.

Racism isn't always about colour.

Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.