Black Lives Matter UK

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Black Lives Matter protest sparks traffic chaos outside Heathrow

It appears that the UK now has its own national "Black Lives Matter" organisation, presumably dedicated to the horrendous problem of British Police shooting black men willy nilly. Except that there haven't been any instances to warrant setting up a protest movement. Quite why blocking the M4 near Heathrow was considered to be a relevant target of protest for this, I'm not sure.

This movement seems to be using the deaths of black Americans by Police action to push their slightly less publicity-grabbing agenda of racial equality in UK. Whilst I and most people I know are generally supportive of equality for all (apart from the French obviously), this smacks of riding on the coat tails of tragedy to me, to promote an agenda that's already enshrined in law.

Or is there a need for a Black Lives Matter campaign? Is enough being done to ensure that a black child has the same opportunities as a white child in UK?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

It appears that the UK now has its own national "Black Lives Matter" organisation, presumably dedicated to the horrendous problem of British Police shooting black men willy nilly. Except that there haven't been any instances to warrant setting up a protest movement. Quite why blocking the M4 near Heathrow was considered to be a relevant target of protest for this, I'm not sure.

This movement seems to be using the deaths of black Americans by Police action to push their slightly less publicity-grabbing agenda of racial equality in UK. Whilst I and most people I know are generally supportive of equality for all (apart from the French obviously), this smacks of riding on the coat tails of tragedy to me, to promote an agenda that's already enshrined in law.

Or is there a need for a Black Lives Matter campaign? Is enough being done to ensure that a black child has the same opportunities as a white child in UK?
Black Lives Matter protesters chain themselves to road near Heathrow

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Bloody Search Function!

The_ninja

Swinger

I was there man... On the m4 not at the protest

I think this kind of "movement" in the uk is just another protest group set up by people who do this kind of thing for a hobby. You'll see same faces at nuclear protests, save the kittens protests, etc etc

People in the uk are equal, same for the women's rights people - someone genuinely gets a job because of their attitude, qualifications and experience. If we start giving jobs to people who can't do the job just to fill an equality quota then what good is that going to do anyone?

I think my life matters... I'm not gonna start a street movement though and chain myself to railings etc

Just for the hell of it, at the end of the day, no lives matter.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
People in the uk are equal, same for the women's rights people - someone genuinely gets a job because of their attitude, qualifications and experience. If we start giving jobs to people who can't do the job just to fill an equality quota then what good is that going to do anyone?
If you believe that, then you’re genuinely deluded. I realise that it’s the “official line”, but it’s just more meaningless propaganda. In reality, black folks in the UK are harassed and discriminated against on a daily basis, especially by the UK Old Bill. They’re even murdered – see the case of Mark Duggan where the Old Bill still refuse to answer important questions about the strange anomalies surrounding it.

And women in the UK are nowhere near having genuine equal rights. Even with the Equal Rights Act in force, they still receive around 20 percent less pay than men doing the same job. They also can’t walk down the street at night without risking being accosted. There’s still a very, very long way to go until “equal rights for all” really does mean what it says on the tin.

MsG

And women in the UK are nowhere near having genuine equal rights. Even with the Equal Rights Act in force, they still receive around 20 percent less pay than men doing the same job. They also can’t join the SWP without risking being raped. There’s still a very, very long way to go until “equal rights for all” really does mean what it says on the tin.

Pro bono

CmdKeen

Old-Salt
That would be women who under the age of 40 have equal pay with men and are starting to dominate many professions in the same age brackets? Expecting change at the top of a profession, which is also going to be highest paid, to proceed at the same pace as the bottom is unrealistic. The current generation in their 30s should be being looked to and supported to achieve great things in the future, not mollycoddled and given preferential treatment to provide a quicker, artificial, result.

The_ninja

Swinger
If you believe that, then you’re genuinely deluded. I realise that it’s the “official line”, but it’s just more meaningless propaganda. In reality, black folks in the UK are harassed and discriminated against on a daily basis, especially by the UK Old Bill. They’re even murdered – see the case of Mark Duggan where the Old Bill still refuse to answer important questions about the strange anomalies surrounding it.

And women in the UK are nowhere near having genuine equal rights. Even with the Equal Rights Act in force, they still receive around 20 percent less pay than men doing the same job. They also can’t walk down the street at night without risking being accosted. There’s still a very, very long way to go until “equal rights for all” really does mean what it says on the tin.

MsG

Women earn 20% less than men doing the same job. Can anyone actually prove that this is because they are not treated equal though?

I earn less money than men and women doing the same job. Not because I am discriminated against, but because I work for a small company and they have less budget than bigger companies

Whoever does these studies I am sure do not take this into account at all

And in response to black people being harassed, discriminated on daily basis.... How? Where's the proof of this?

White people get discriminated daily... Could be for many things, being ginger for example or because they have to sign on for couple weeks between jobs. is that unequal?

MsG

Were there 2 Mark Duggans killed or are you talking about the Mark Duggan
Who Purchased a firearm (the seller was later prosecuted)
Got into a taxi which was then stopped by police.

Was Shot by an officer who though he was holding a gun.

Now you can argue he was unarmed when he got out of the taxi and that the officer erred as he did not need to shoot - But you cannot unless you're an absolute spunkbunglingleftard determined to see oppression, fascism and racism everywhere argue he was an innocent man murdered by the state.

He was in possession of a fire arm - He was on his way to commit a crime - as a direct result of this he was killed.

MsG

I just don't know where to start.

Mark Duggan was not murdered. The killing was ruled lawful. I'd suggest you read the evidence presented at the time. I for one am actually not overly worried about a career criminal being killed while on his way to another violent crime. I'll add neither are my mates of BAME origin, one of whom had known Duggan in his youth and when the story was breaking used the words 'surprised he survived other gangs long enough for police to deal with him, no loss. My round?'

I think where the remaining divide between ethnicities is not actually down to employers and so on - all the employers I know and have worked for are fair and equal, the divide tends to be the home environment, instilation of morals, values and work ethic, but I could say the same for some of the families I know from the ex-council estate I live in.

I appreciate the pay gap still exists, but it is getting better, and will take time. Certainly in my employer it doesn't actually make any odds, and we are not alone in that.

Bris

LE
And women in the UK are nowhere near having genuine equal rights. Even with the Equal Rights Act in force, they still receive around 20 percent less pay than men doing the same job. They also can’t walk down the street at night without risking being accosted.
There is so much in the way of false/misleading figures in the way the alleged wage gap is calculated, it's hard to actually get any truth. I believe the 20% figure you claim has been disproved, but will have to wait until I get back from work until I can dig out the research.

I believe it was to do with career average earnings, and how many more women than men choose to take extended sabbaticals to raise their children; thereby putting themselves 1+ years behind men who were previously in their peer group.

Not to say there are no differences, just that there are more smoke & mirrors around this subject, than at a Paul Daniels stage show.

MsG

My bold.

They do say a womans work is never done.
Meanwhile men complete tasks and get paid more for doing so

Women earn 20% less than men doing the same job. Can anyone actually prove that this is because they are not treated equal though?

?

I heard this argued on the radio it went something like this

Feminist type : Women and men who have worked at the same company for 15 years have an average 5K pay difference

Bloke : Yes but that's because women have on average taken 5 year career breaks to have children - so have 5 years les experience

Feminist - See that's discrimination they have both been there 15 years - they both have just as much experience

Bloke : Well no because career break

Feminist - they should still be worth the same

Bloke : Dull thudding as he bangs head off table

Edit then of course you get the issue that when you calculate national wage by gender - many more women are in part time work / unskilled kids are at school - I will work I'm Tesco - which obviously skews there earning

**As an example and fairly typical one my mum stuck her professional career on hold 20 years whilst she raised a family -
She is paid the same as anybody with her level of experience - but has perhaps unsurprisingly a much smaller (private) pension pot than somebody who didn't put their career on hold -
Yet that is now being decried as sexual discrimination

Its also bizarrely sex discrimination to make the male and female retirement age equal -

Last edited:
I heard this argued on the radio it went something like this

Feminist type : Women and men who have worked at the same company for 15 years have an average 5K pay difference

Bloke : Yes but that's because women have on average taken 5 year career breaks to have children - so have 5 years les experience

Feminist - See that's discrimination they have both been there 15 years - they both have just as much experience

Bloke : Well no because career break

Feminist - they should still be worth the same

Bloke : Dull thudding as he bangs head off table

Women under 30 earn more than men.

Latest Threads