Black jack pershing

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by revmodes, Nov 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted this elsewhere(ghurka kukri)

Not sure if this is historical fact, if true it must have caused one hell of a political stink around the world,i cannot be arsed to research it, but i do know this guy had a helluva reputation for being a mean son of a bitch.

Probably would not go down well now a days!!

2. I doubt it raised many eyebrows. Most of the vexation was probably over the question of whether them was niggers or chinee.

3. Well spotted that man..

4. Or maybe Oirish or Fuzzy Wuzzy Wogs?

5. "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

-The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

6. IIRC, the original nickname bestowed on yer man by his fellow officers was Nigger Jack, due to his serving with the 10th cavalry.

7. The real question is: "where do we find people stupid enough to make this shit up"

8. It is of course bollocks but it's also inaccurate bollocks. 42 years would take us into the 50s. I'm sure a few folk would dispute the 'not a single Muslim terrorist attack' bit.

But of course they're not Americans and therefore don't count. I keep forgetting.

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

There's lots around here standing in line to do that.

10. Pershing's own role in the Philippine insurrection of 1899-1902 saw him promoted from Captain to Brigadier-General,
    estimates of Philippinos killed vary greatly from 100,000 to 1 million.
    It may also be apposite to point out that this General refused to deploy the US forces in to the frontline in France,
    with a few exceptions [some negro units under French command] until he reached the magical million man mark
    - nigh on a year since the first doughboys disembarked.
    Thereby putting undue strain on both British & French allies.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not disputing your facts, but didn't we manage for a few years without Gen Pershing?

To be fair, I think he was the one who said that if we didn't decisively defeat the Germans we would have to do it again 20 years later before the armistice?

12. Aye, Internet bollocks at its finest.

Snopes gives more details. Pershing seems to have been an eminently sensible man who sought to avoid violence if possible.

snopes.com: Pershing and Pigs

However, ISTR that he was opposed to the Armistice at the end of WW1, wanting to pursure the war until an unconditional German surrender and the occupation of Berlin since he believed there would otherwise be a repeat performance within 20 years.

PS I should have read all of the post above. Tut.

13. This egregious black propaganda helps no one beyond those who wish to perpetuate strife with islam.
    Re Pershing's opposition to the Armistice - well he could afford to, having finally committed his forces to the fight in the September of 1918, two months prior to the ending of hostilities.