Black holes, atoms and egg-heads

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by predatorplus, Sep 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the Large Hadron Collider thingy is going to be turned on tomorrow (Wednesday). Designed for the sole purpose of smashing one atom into another. But, scientists believe microscopic black holes might be generated in the machine (a new place for MDN to stick his member). But, the egg-heads behind this £5 billion train set say that it is safe and according to their predictions (guesses), they will blink in and out of existence before anything scary happens (like eat the earth from the inside?).

So, now that the end is upon us and we have less than 24 hours before we are sucked into a hole that not even light can escape and our atoms ripped apart in the event horizon and we are able to see every corner of the universe at the same time, what will you do with your final hours? What will your last words be?

So, standard doomsday looting procedure?

2. Hole, schmole!

3. Did hear a good explanation of this collider,some guy said it was like trying to see how a watch works by smashing two watches together and looking at the parts that fly off.

Final hours??? Not too sure but I do know a couple of people who would have very sore noses

4. im going to head down to the local park and sit and drink cheap cider! ah what a way to go....

5. Classy

6. A small group of people, just like some claim that the moon landing was faked, Bush masterminded 9/11 or climate change is caused by humans. I'm willing to bet you a hundred thousand pounds the Earth doesn't become destroyed in a CERN-related incident (random accidents don't count :D ) this week.

Deal?

7. It's actually going to take several months for the collider to reach full functionality. Bear in mind that any awry gravitiational related reaction would result in malfuntion of the machine anyway then a gravitational chain reaction would not be able to occur as the magnetic containment and the super cooled condensers necessary for the reaction would also fail shutting down the experiment.

Of course they could also kick start the new big bang and start the entire universe all over again but would that be a bad thing as God would then be the mad scientist from The Simpsons!

:D

8. A good tug.

9. Smashing one atom into another? Are you sure?

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210600384

I thought it was subatomic particles they was going to smash.

10. You sir, are using your brain too much on that comment. This is the NAAFI after all. I jsut about got away with the word atom.

11. Very topical choice of words considering my last couple of hours. I think may have ticked off one of the sore noses for you.

Has any else ever found that pikeys, having partly colonised a train station car park, then run a little side business in demanding "considerations"* before they'll unblock your car?

Is this common? The place is infested with CCTV cameras and I'd have never thought they'd try anything on.

* Yeah, "a little consideration, sorr", the very phrase he used: I sh1t you not. Accent reminded me a lot of the locals at Ballykinler.

12. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Its been on pretty much since it was first possible to turn it on. All they're doing tomorrow is accelerating a particle, it could be as many as 18 months before the first collision.

Anyway, back to the NAFFI, I'm glad Switzwerland is going first.. They never get involved in international conflict or humanitarian relief (or whatever), then get eaten by a black hole..
    Karma's a bitch.

13. No you did not!

14. I have just read this rather ominous conversation in Terry Pratchett's book "Thief Of Time" - it is between Death (who always speaks in capitals) and his Granddaughter, Susan:

"THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END.

'When?'

NEXT WEDNESDAY.

'Why'

I CANNOT SAY.

'I thought you could remember the future!'

YES. BUT SOMETHING HAS CHANGED. AFTER WEDNESDAY, THERE IS NO FUTURE.

'There must be something, even if it's only debris!'

NO. AFTER ONE O'CLOCK NEXT WEDNESDAY THERE IS NOTHING. JUST ONE O'CLOCK NEXT WEDNESDAY, FOR EVER AND EVER."

Roll on Thursday (I hope!).

15. :worship:

That was funny.