Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Friday Trickery.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
From my understanding of the law goods can only be described as 'discounted' if the original price was charged for 14 days or more.

I can't be arsed to check but I would bet that a number of retailers deliberately inflate the prices of some goods at the start of November. They can then offer 'massive discounts' as the goods have been on sale at the higher price for the required period.

There does seem to be a psychological blind spot that a lot of people have where the money 'saved' is more important than the money spent. Spending £300 on a TV discounted from £800 is not saving £500, it's spending £300 unless you were going to buy that TV anyway.

three letters.

DFS

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Seen very few vacuum cleaners in tropical countries. They have ants. Traditional houses in Thailand are on stilts and have slatted bamboo floors so the shit drops through.

it's generally frowned on (in the UK) to shit on the floor.

individual experiences may vary.

I got a eufy 11s 2 years back. Great bit of kit.

Unless you have an incontinent puppy...
4D81CF37-714B-4FFA-800C-2DDD1FD82881.jpeg

If I remember correctly it was 14 days in one shop, so national chains had the advantage of charging more in an expensive area like London before make a "sale" elsewhere.

Mainly women fall for that bollocks.

A few years ago there was a price drop channel on council TV where 400 quid watches were dropped to 40 quid and all manner of bellends were buying such a bargain.

I get a discount through work on loads of shops. It’s a neat little freebie and has saved me loads over the years. The downside is this often involves getting vouchers. Buy £100 worth of vouchers, pay £90 etc.
My son (who I think works for the same company as you) gets the ‘vouchers’ ... we tend to check with him before buying from the likes of Currys /John Lewis etc.

We never get caught up in the nonsense that is the annual Friday of Colour though so have never run into any problems with codes ‘already used'

The discounts thus obtained aren’t huge but are genuinely ‘something for nothing’.

Sandy Heath

Old-Salt
Best vacuum we have bought recently is a Shark. Very good deals direct from their site and you can get another 15% off (including Sale items) through Defence Discount Service.

From my understanding of the law goods can only be described as 'discounted' if the original price was charged for 14 days or more.

I can't be arsed to check but I would bet that a number of retailers deliberately inflate the prices of some goods at the start of November. They can then offer 'massive discounts' as the goods have been on sale at the higher price for the required period.

There does seem to be a psychological blind spot that a lot of people have where the money 'saved' is more important than the money spent. Spending £300 on a TV discounted from £800 is not saving £500, it's spending £300 unless you were going to buy that TV anyway.

It appears that the '28 day' rule has gone and it's a legal free-for-all on what you can and can't get away with

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Men and shopping?

Unless it's booze, Waterstones or outdoor related you are lost to me...oooo I want a hoover...screamer xx
Wait till we invite @jarrod248 and start talking about soft furnishings.:blowkiss:

My son (who I think works for the same company as you) gets the ‘vouchers’ ... we tend to check with him before buying from the likes of Currys /John Lewis etc.

We never get caught up in the nonsense that is the annual Friday of Colour though so have never run into any problems with codes ‘already used'

The discounts thus obtained aren’t huge but are genuinely ‘something for nothing’.
Well worth the effort. My kids all have the log in and just do their own thing. We were very erratic in using it at first but have got in the habit now, it’s easy to set up a monthly DD to a Sainsbury’s card for example; whoosh, 10% off your weekly shop, year round.

Ive done loads of DIY lately so ditto with the Wickes card.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Dysons can knob off. Old hat now & too heavy.
Shark is the way forward.
We bought one last year & will never go back. They even have a little motor attachment for doing the stairs.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We bought one last year & will never go back. They even have a little motor attachment for doing the stairs.

We had a shark and it was poo.
Sebo all the way for me, made in Germany, the Mercedes S Class of vacuums.

Sandy Heath

Old-Salt

And another 15% off with Defence Discount Service!

I'm another who endorses the Shark over the Dyson. My women servant who does such things says the 'sucky-uppy' quality is as good as Mr Dyson's product. It might not have the same bright coloured plastic but it's half the price and just as good. ** This is a public service announcement **

As for Black Friday, the only thing that used to be good for was watching the in-store hand to hand combat between people squabbling over a 60" TV they couldn't afford..

It's all a bit similar to Blue Cross week at Debenhams when they seem to drag out clothes that wouldn't look out of place in a charity shop.... or the same with Mars Bars, where the size gradually gets smaller and smaller while charging the same price, which allows them to announce the 'new KING Size Mars Bar' taking them back to the original size....

...otherwise known as marketting bollocks....

Interestingly, I looked on Amazon and searched for ‘Dyson V7 Animal Extra’ (fairly specific I thought) and was presented with a dozen or so other makes with Dyson way down the list. When I did find what I wanted (several of them) every one of them was for sale at £350, £50 above the RRP.

We have two options..... either go to Currys this week when lockdown ends, and pay the full price as the Black Friday deals will obviously have ended (and I bet that they will miraculously have them in stock), or go direct to Dyson and again, pay the full price. Dyson offer free delivery, but annoyingly don’t give a time scale.
Look at facebook marketplace - you'll see lots of Dyson stuff, all that is usually needed is a new battery...

I saved £2000 on a 65 inch 8k TV.

I didn't buy one

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
My old mum has finally admitted to me that the battery powered vacuum cleaner that I bought her six months ago is crap.

It’s a Morphy Richards and therefore theoretically is a good make, but she insists that it doesn’t pick up what it should,and she wastes precious energy pushing it back and forth.

My response was simple, take it back to Asda, get a refund and buy a Dyson. Many years ago I borrowed a Dyson to clean new carpets in a new house. I pushed it once across the carpet and it left a miraculously clean strip (having sucked up all the loose fibres) and I decided there and then ‘we need one of those’. For the next thirty years we used nothing else. They obviously died and were eventually replaced, but I never regretted buying one.

Anyway, having taken my mother’s cruel ingratitude on the chin, I started googling for the best price of a battery-powered Dyson. This being Black Power Friday Week/Month/Year I thought we might pick up a deal so I started with the Dyson website....underneath the ‘BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!!!’ banners was one corded vacuum and a couple of table lamps, and that was it.

Next stop Curry’s/ PC World/ Dixon’s/ The British Union of Fascists and WTF else they call themselves this week.

Again Black Friday this, and Black Friday that. Excellent we thought (me, with mum sat on my shoulder, having apparently never seen the internet before). We scanned the list of Black Friday deals and settled on the V7 Animal Extra. Normally. £299 but (insert fanfare here), down to £199 because of (you’ve guessed it) Black Friday.

So, we look at the details and it’s Click and Collect (fair enough) with a promise in the small print to get one sent to your local store ASAP if it’s out of stock.

So we try and order. Can’t deliver (fine), so we opt for collection. Message pops up ‘out of stock’ in that store, try nearby stores’. Okaaay, we tried that and it was apparently out of stock in the closest 9 stores. We then extended the search radius four times until we hit the maximum of the closest 36 stores and it was out of stock in all of them. Despite the small print clearly stating that if an item is out of stock in your local store they will get you one within days, there is no provision for requesting this when you order.

We then tried Argos. Exactly the same deal and out of stock in all stores within a fifty mile radius.

I call bullshit on Black Friday and have come to the conclusion that these deals simply don’t exist. They are banner headline deals that look great in the adverts, but in reality the retailers have no intention of ever selling the items at the Black Friday prices and use the ‘out of stock’ excuse as a reason to avoid selling the stuff.
Exactly the same when I have tried to buy a TV from John Lewis and despite leaving " message me when they are coming back in stock" I havnt had one response all year . ( yes i did buy one elsewhere .) Curries tole me that I was 6 farsand and odd in line just to log into their site on Friday.

Awol

LE
Look at facebook marketplace - you'll see lots of Dyson stuff, all that is usually needed is a new battery...
I know. But I’m a fussy sod and have an aversion to second hand vacuums full other people’s skin cells and pubic hairs. It’s also why I never walk barefoot across a hotel floor.