Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Friday Trickery.

Awol

LE
My old mum has finally admitted to me that the battery powered vacuum cleaner that I bought her six months ago is crap.

It’s a Morphy Richards and therefore theoretically is a good make, but she insists that it doesn’t pick up what it should,and she wastes precious energy pushing it back and forth.

My response was simple, take it back to Asda, get a refund and buy a Dyson. Many years ago I borrowed a Dyson to clean new carpets in a new house. I pushed it once across the carpet and it left a miraculously clean strip (having sucked up all the loose fibres) and I decided there and then ‘we need one of those’. For the next thirty years we used nothing else. They obviously died and were eventually replaced, but I never regretted buying one.

Anyway, having taken my mother’s cruel ingratitude on the chin, I started googling for the best price of a battery-powered Dyson. This being Black Power Friday Week/Month/Year I thought we might pick up a deal so I started with the Dyson website....underneath the ‘BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!!!’ banners was one corded vacuum and a couple of table lamps, and that was it.

Next stop Curry’s/ PC World/ Dixon’s/ The British Union of Fascists and WTF else they call themselves this week.

Again Black Friday this, and Black Friday that. Excellent we thought (me, with mum sat on my shoulder, having apparently never seen the internet before). We scanned the list of Black Friday deals and settled on the V7 Animal Extra. Normally. £299 but (insert fanfare here), down to £199 because of (you’ve guessed it) Black Friday.

So, we look at the details and it’s Click and Collect (fair enough) with a promise in the small print to get one sent to your local store ASAP if it’s out of stock.

So we try and order. Can’t deliver (fine), so we opt for collection. Message pops up ‘out of stock’ in that store, try nearby stores’. Okaaay, we tried that and it was apparently out of stock in the closest 9 stores. We then extended the search radius four times until we hit the maximum of the closest 36 stores and it was out of stock in all of them. Despite the small print clearly stating that if an item is out of stock in your local store they will get you one within days, there is no provision for requesting this when you order.

We then tried Argos. Exactly the same deal and out of stock in all stores within a fifty mile radius.

I call bullshit on Black Friday and have come to the conclusion that these deals simply don’t exist. They are banner headline deals that look great in the adverts, but in reality the retailers have no intention of ever selling the items at the Black Friday prices and use the ‘out of stock’ excuse as a reason to avoid selling the stuff.

Last edited:
TBH i find most of the time looking for things online that they are actually out of stock . I think they do it on purpose hoping you click the notify me when its in stock email , then they send a order to China to ship abother 1000 exercise bikes etc or what ever.

Seems anything you look for is only in stock for 1 week each month then it goes . Most annoying if its a big purchase and you keep checking when its there and it doesn't match up will when you have the cash .

4(T)

LE
Whats worse is when you actually find the item, select it, put it in your "basket" and then go to checkout - only to have the payment system hang, then get a message stating "the item was removed from your basket because it is no longer available".

Black Friday online UK:

- click bait
- bait & switch
- goods actually at RRP, despite supposed discount
- old & obsolete stock
- junk and tat
- recycled returns
- an actual discount, but the website has crashed
- out of stock

I thought that, with the covid economic crisis, vendors would be desperate for discounted sales in order to generate some cash flow - but apparently not. Most of the big suppliers I usually shop with - eg screwfix, machine mart, etc - just have a few items of the clearance bin stuff they always have. No big discounts even on the Chinese junk where they have about 500% markup.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
An article in the Times stated that after much research most items were the same price
what you also have to watch are these cashback schemes, the wife wanted to buy something or the other and it prompted her to join a cashback scheme
then she looked at the small print
after the first month they take 30 quid per month whether you purchase or not, and of course they get commision from the sellers for directiing the business their way
she binned it and told them not to bother her again
all those mainstream media adverts must cost a few bob though, guess who pays ?

I have to contact BT to change our contract, whatever happened to the old days were you got a discount for long service with them ?
spoke to the Mancunian Del boy 60 quid per month !!!!
black friday deal sign up for 2 years ?

told him, after the continual problems I have had with their service, line faults, and rubbish email they should be paying me
and given that I am only working a day or so every week, I am not throwing sillly money about
he came back with a better offer 57.50 a month, which sounds like 60 quid to me
told him forget it, then he told me what an amazing service it was, quoted all sorts of names and techno babble and how their engineers say its amazing !! well they would wouldnt they

told him too much money not interested, he went off to speak to a grown up
I said dont worry email me and I will read it and think about it
ah sir you cant do that its a once only offer, you might not get this offer tommorow ??
well then come and unplug your equipment remove the line and I will stick to a mobile then
and it took 3 more attempts of black friday deals to get it down to 30 quid a month
its all an awful American thing and I wish they would all give up

Awol

LE
An article in the Times stated that after much research most items were the same price
what you also have to watch are these cashback schemes, the wife wanted to buy something or the other and it prompted her to join a cashback scheme
then she looked at the small print
after the first month they take 30 quid per month whether you purchase or not, and of course they get commision from the sellers for directiing the business their way
she binned it and told them not to bother her again
all those mainstream media adverts must cost a few bob though, guess who pays ?

I have to contact BT to change our contract, whatever happened to the old days were you got a discount for long service with them ?
spoke to the Mancunian Del boy 60 quid per month !!!!
black friday deal sign up for 2 years ?

told him, after the continual problems I have had with their service, line faults, and rubbish email they should be paying me
and given that I am only working a day or so every week, I am not throwing sillly money about
he came back with a better offer 57.50 a month, which sounds like 60 quid to me
told him forget it, then he told me what an amazing service it was, quoted all sorts of names and techno babble and how their engineers say its amazing !! well they would wouldnt they

told him too much money not interested, he went off to speak to a grown up
I said dont worry email me and I will read it and think about it
ah sir you cant do that its a once only offer, you might not get this offer tommorow ??
well then come and unplug your equipment remove the line and I will stick to a mobile then
and it took 3 more attempts of black friday deals to get it down to 30 quid a month
its all an awful American thing and I wish they would all give up
Interestingly, I looked on Amazon and searched for ‘Dyson V7 Animal Extra’ (fairly specific I thought) and was presented with a dozen or so other makes with Dyson way down the list. When I did find what I wanted (several of them) every one of them was for sale at £350, £50 above the RRP.

We have two options..... either go to Currys this week when lockdown ends, and pay the full price as the Black Friday deals will obviously have ended (and I bet that they will miraculously have them in stock), or go direct to Dyson and again, pay the full price. Dyson offer free delivery, but annoyingly don’t give a time scale.

From my understanding of the law goods can only be described as 'discounted' if the original price was charged for 14 days or more.

I can't be arsed to check but I would bet that a number of retailers deliberately inflate the prices of some goods at the start of November. They can then offer 'massive discounts' as the goods have been on sale at the higher price for the required period.

There does seem to be a psychological blind spot that a lot of people have where the money 'saved' is more important than the money spent. Spending £300 on a TV discounted from £800 is not saving £500, it's spending £300 unless you were going to buy that TV anyway.

Almost all of the items marked as being in a sale - Flyer / Advert / Internet - the shop / website will have just a couple of the item at the sale price, then out of stock

Also some items made specifically for sales - will be of inferior quality even though branded

Archie

endure

GCM
Has it occurred that shops may be out of stock precisely because it is Black Friday, everybody else has bagged a bargain already and you're just late to the party? It is Sunday you know ;-)

BTW if you want a vacuum cleaner that will last for years get a Sebo.

G-Tec for a cordless vac... either hand held or upright

Dyson is touch pricey, the dyson mains one is also a bit heavy

Awol

LE
From my understanding of the law goods can only be described as 'discounted' if the original price was charged for 14 days or more.

I can't be arsed to check but I would bet that a number of retailers deliberately inflate the prices of some goods at the start of November. They can then offer 'massive discounts' as the goods have been on sale at the higher price for the required period.

There does seem to be a psychological blind spot that a lot of people have where the money 'saved' is more important than the money spent. Spending £300 on a TV discounted from £800 is not saving £500, it's spending £300 unless you were going to buy that TV anyway.
I always suspect that a big discount is artificial. I know that the law requires an item to have been at a higher price, but I had no idea it could be at that price for as short as 14 days. Halfords are always doing this. It’s difficult to actually buy a bicycle at full price, everything seems to be massively discounted.

Personally I think that an item should be at the higher price for about three months, otherwise it’s all one big con trick.

Awol

LE
Has it occurred that shops may be out of stock precisely because it is Black Friday, everybody else has bagged a bargain already and you're just late to the party? It is Sunday you know ;-)

BTW if you want a vacuum cleaner that will last for years get a Sebo.
It was yesterday when I tried to buy one, just about 24 hours into the Black Friday weekend. Anyway, even if they had sold out, they should have the facility to order one in.

My old mum has finally admitted to me that the battery powered vacuum cleaner that I bought her six months ago is crap.

It’s a Morphy Richards and therefore theoretically is a good make, but she insists that it doesn’t pick up what it should,and she wastes precious energy pushing it back and forth.

My response was simple, take it back to Asda, get a refund and buy a Dyson. Many years ago I borrowed a Dyson to clean new carpets in a new house. I pushed it once across the carpet and it left a miraculously clean strip (having sucked up all the loose fibres) and I decided there and then ‘we need one of those’. For the next thirty years we used nothing else. They obviously died and were eventually replaced, but I never regretted buying one.

Anyway, having taken my mother’s cruel ingratitude on the chin, I started googling for the best price of a battery-powered Dyson. This being Black Power Friday Week/Month/Year I thought we might pick up a deal so I started with the Dyson website....underneath the ‘BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!!!’ banners was one corded vacuum and a couple of table lamps, and that was it.

Next stop Curry’s/ PC World/ Dixon’s/ The British Union of Fascists and WTF else they call themselves this week.

Again Black Friday this, and Black Friday that. Excellent we thought (me, with mum sat on my shoulder, having apparently never seen the internet before). We scanned the list of Black Friday deals and settled on the V7 Animal Extra. Normally. £299 but (insert fanfare here), down to £199 because of (you’ve guessed it) Black Friday.

So, we look at the details and it’s Click and Collect (fair enough) with a promise in the small print to get one sent to your local store ASAP if it’s out of stock.

So we try and order. Can’t deliver (fine), so we opt for collection. Message pops up ‘out of stock’ in that store, try nearby stores’. Okaaay, we tried that and it was apparently out of stock in the closest 9 stores. We then extended the search radius four times until we hit the maximum of the closest 36 stores and it was out of stock in all of them. Despite the small print clearly stating that if an item is out of stock in your local store they will get you one within days, there is no provision for requesting this when you order.

We then tried Argos. Exactly the same deal and out of stock in all stores within a fifty mile radius.

I call bullshit on Black Friday and have come to the conclusion that these deals simply don’t exist. They are banner headline deals that look great in the adverts, but in reality the retailers have no intention of ever selling the items at the Black Friday prices and use the ‘out of stock’ excuse as a reason to avoid selling the stuff.

by chance I just encountered exactly the same thing regarding two of several items that i tried to order from the Argos site but, the two are not items in the BF or any other sale.

Last edited:

If I remember correctly it was 14 days in one shop, so national chains had the advantage of charging more in an expensive area like London before make a "sale" elsewhere.

Mainly women fall for that bollocks.

A few years ago there was a price drop channel on council TV where 400 quid watches were dropped to 40 quid and all manner of bellends were buying such a bargain.

Vacuum cleaner £100 off was £200, telly £200 off was £500, Sofa £500 off was £1200 blah blah blah...

Ask yourself how they can discount like that and still make a profit. How big are the margins if they can afford to discount so deeply - It is not just Black Friday, it is on and off all year round or in the case of a sofa it is every day of the year.

Playing to the gullible and terminally stupid is all they are doing.

This refers ↓ ↓ ↓

Black Friday is bollocks
Most Black Friday products 'were same price or cheaper' beforehand

Currys PC World was the retailer most likely to have cheaper or similar pricing earlier in the year.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Don’t get a Dyson get a Sebo.

They are so much better than a Dyson, I’ve had a Sebo for a year now and it hasn’t blocked up on me once, very easy to change the bag and to clean the roller and the suction and cleaning is so much better than a Dyson.

Needing a new front light for the bike I studied the usual shops for the same type. To be honest £30 is still a saving, not a big spend yet it sometimes pays to have a good look

Crumbs or food on the floor. Get a Bull Mastiff.

Anything else is the wife's problem. Dyson, Hoover, G tec, Henry.. Whatever. Don't care, don't use it.

Seen very few vacuum cleaners in tropical countries. They have ants. Traditional houses in Thailand are on stilts and have slatted bamboo floors so the shit drops through.

Latest Threads