Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

I am a regular Lidl shopper I prefer it to any of the other supermarkets. The one gripe I do have is that their bacon is brine filled shit. Loads of sum in the pan when cooked. As I understand it this is done to increase weight and profit.
The cheap stuff is a bit ropey, however the Canadian streaky stuff is excellent

If you look on the list of ingredients and it says 'water' the bacon will ooze the white stuff when it's
I am a regular Lidl shopper I prefer it to any of the other supermarkets. The one gripe I do have is that their bacon is brine filled shit. Loads of sum in the pan when cooked. As I understand it this is done to increase weight and profit.

If water appears on the ingredients list you know it's been pumped with water to increase the weight and you'll get that white stuff when you cook it. Look for 'dry cured' or an ingredients list that doesn't mention water.

If you look on the list of ingredients and it says 'water' the bacon will ooze the white stuff when it's

If water appears on the ingredients list you know it's been pumped with water to increase the weight and you'll get that white stuff when you cook it. Look for 'dry cured' or an ingredients list that doesn't mention water.

Making your own bacon's pretty easy & I do it every time I can buy a good size, rind on pork loin at a decent price.

What's your definition of 'pretty easy'? Other people's 'pretty easy' have landed me in worlds of pain in the past :mrgreen:

Buy the correct curing salts & follow the simple instructions.
Takes about a week in the fridge & 15 minutes work (add half an hour for slicing & vacuum packing).
The great thing is there's no white snot, the bacon stays pretty much the same size before & after grilling & tastes superb.

Missus Yesterday

Where did that steak come from that was in the freezer, it was the best I've had for years?

Not a clue, got the wrapper?

Wrapper didn't give much of a clue till I spotted the 30% off label.

LIDL.

Still waiting for the return of LIDL Alpenfest Bockwurst.

Look at other bacon, we buy our bacon from Lidl's and, it definitely isn't "brine filled shit".

Hamageddon at Aldi.

If you sort through the packets of £1.75 ham trimmings you can find packs full of grade A off the bone ham hiding in there.

IMG_20180811_172835_zpshsj9vrec.jpg

^ It's cut to varying thicknesses-if you can find one thinly cut, it crisps up like pancetta under a hotgrill. Lovely crumbled onto soup, over a salad etc.

Hamageddon at Aldi.

If you sort through the packets of £1.75 ham trimmings you can find packs full of grade A off the bone ham hiding in there.

I always hunt through them & picked up a couple of packs this afternoon, plus two packs of frikadellen @£1.79, four packs of English unsalted butter @£1.49, 6 bell peppers for £1.19 & gravy granules for 69p.
Oh & a bottle of truly intense Aussie Durif red wine for £7.69 I've paid double that for a less satisfying red & think I'll bag a dozen bottles to shove under the floor for a year or two to see how it ages.

ETA If you spend £60 at Tesco, you get a voucher for 10p a litre off up to 100 litres of fuel, which worked out rather well as I managed 73 litres in the truck & the other 27 litres into a jerry can & a 5l emergency fuel can. (Tesco had sirloin on offer for £13.50/kg, so I bought an uncut pack as I prefer my steak at least 1" thick - if doing this, ask for the pack to be opened so you don't pay for the plastic wrap & myoglobin (watery red stuff). If I hadn't insisted, it would have cost nearly £2 more...

Last edited:
Tomorrow's wine bargain....... Pedro Jiminez white, forgot the exact appelation.

A good honest full- bodied white, reduced to £2.99, from £3.99.

You're only supposed to buy 6 bottles, per visit, so I play Magic Roundabouts around the tills, to get half a dozen cases..... really is a steal, better interest than money in the bank.

Get in fairly early, I think they only get a pallet full per store.

Hamageddon at Aldi.

I get one every week for my butties.

Has anyone noticed that you can only get the smooth fresh orange juice ?. The one with bits in that I prefer has not been on the sale in my local store for over three weeks

Hamageddon at Aldi.

I often get the same from Iceland, who also do beef and roast pork trimming as well, sometimes decent slices, sometimes huge chunks for the ham.