Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Yyyou,
I buy them almost weekly, they make excellent currywurst.
You actually buy them:???:;)

Well there’s a first ladies and gents.

The equivalent foods in Britain were salmon (Scotland and northern England) and Oysters (London and the south east). Gamekeepers in Teesdale had it written into their contracts that they wouldn't have to eat salmon more than five times a week.
I heard about salmon! Unbelievable nowadays. I read that in Britain, mackerel wasn't considered a fish fit to to eat.

Kirkz

LE
Yyyou,

You actually buy them:???:;)

Well there’s a first ladies and gents.
Farm Foods don't sell bratties so I'm hardly going to find them in their bins am I. :roll:

Kirkz

LE
When I were a lad the regular Sunday meat was beef or lamb. It was only at Christmas that we had a chicken as it was too expensive to eat on a regular basis.
Sunday was usually beef or lamb but we often had pheasant, duck or rabbit as dad worked on a farm.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard about salmon! Unbelievable nowadays. I read that in Britain, mackerel wasn't considered a fish fit to to eat.
Food snobbery and ignorance. Very English. We eat more pork loin than we breed. The rest goes to Europe.

Europe reciprocates: We get their pricey, dull pork loin.

They feast on the more flavoursome cuts.

If it was a flavours competition, we'd be runners up.

Food snobbery and ignorance. Very English. We eat more pork loin than we breed. The rest goes to Europe.

could that be the reason there is no equivalent phrase for "bon appetit" in English?

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
could that be the reason there is no equivalent phrase to "bon appetit" in English?

But there is an equivalent: 'Madam dishes up, then wrings her hands, looks up to the ceiling and says, 'I do hope it's alright'

wheel

LE

We do not eat rabbit in the UK even though its plentiful. On the continent its normal.

Latest Threads