Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

endure

GCM
Was also gourmet burger company stuff. Black farmer sausages. Organic beef and chicken. Worth a visit if you can. When lockdown started they were giving away milk from McDonald’s, it’s actually Arla organic.
Do they let civvies in?

£8 the chickens at company shop. They sometimes have the supermarket ones for a quid but I don’t buy them.

They don't mention the breed of the chickens they rear for meat. In the photo they appear to be white broilers.
In addition to the inhumane factory conditions, the great problem of the poultry industry is that it bred chickens for fast growth and breast meat in the carefully controlled conditions of poultry sheds. Many other beneficial natural traits were ignored or lost in the lust for profit only.
Years back I worked with a private breeder who had maintained some of the old breeds from before industrialized farming. They were not so profitable to raise but their meat was unforgettably good and without the great globs of fat you find nowadays.

endure

GCM
They don't mention the breed of the chickens they rear for meat. In the photo they appear to be white broilers.
In addition to the inhumane factory conditions, the great problem of the poultry industry is that it bred chickens for fast growth and breast meat in the carefully controlled conditions of poultry sheds. Many other beneficial natural traits were ignored or lost in the lust for profit only.
Years back I worked with a private breeder who had maintained some of the old breeds from before industrialized farming. They were not so profitable to raise but their meat was unforgettably good and without the great globs of fat you find nowadays.

There was a piece on Radio 4 today about how some farmers are breeding the old slower growing chickens again but because of the way they're bred they're more expensive.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Lot to be said for better quality and higher prices to fund it.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
There was a piece on Radio 4 today about how some farmers are breeding the old slower growing chickens again but because of the way they're bred they're more expensive.
I understand many can’t afford higher welfare or won’t afford it. There’s no doubt it’s much better.

I understand many can’t afford higher welfare or won’t afford it. There’s no doubt it’s much better.

The poultry industry has some amazing achievements in making tasty protein available to people that otherwise might not be able to afford it. The poor animals pay the price though.

endure

GCM
The poultry industry has some amazing achievements in making tasty protein available to people that otherwise might not be able to afford it. The poor animals pay the price though.

When I were a lad the regular Sunday meat was beef or lamb. It was only at Christmas that we had a chicken as it was too expensive to eat on a regular basis.

When I were a lad the regular Sunday meat was beef or lamb. It was only at Christmas that we had a chicken as it was too expensive to eat on a regular basis.

You remind me of the the guy from Morocco who told me that when he was a kid, tuna was considered the food of the poor. I think factory farming in the UK only began post war, so I suppose prior to that it would not have been "ordinary" food.

You remind me of the the guy from Morocco who told me that when he was a kid, tuna was considered the food of the poor. I think factory farming in the UK only began post war, so I suppose prior to that it would not have been "ordinary" food.
The equivalent foods in Britain were salmon (Scotland and northern England) and Oysters (London and the south east). Gamekeepers in Teesdale had it written into their contracts that they wouldn't have to eat salmon more than five times a week.

Latest Threads