Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

I cheered my local Indian corner shop when they started getting more Indian stuff back in at start of covid - obviously you sell to your market. I have a good choice of Polish and Bulgarian meats/cheeses. Which are OKish but we also have proper a Polish deli in town - miles of difference in quality between their stuff and the Sokolow which you see most. These are the offending hotdogs...
View attachment 505609

Yes, it's certainly the Sokolow brand that appears on supermarket shelves. I think that the printing on each individual sausage casing is an indication of the horror that is likely to ensue.

Thanks. I will be sure to give them a wide swerve in future.

TamH70

MIA
/Thread Drift - this is the absolute mutts nuts for Polski sausages:

A lot of the local Asian-owned groceries sell them, and the range of types is almost bewildering. My favourite is the kielbasa z serem - pork sausages with mahoosive chunks of cheese cooked in. You can scoff them cold or hot, and they grill up reallly nice.

The Poles are inordinately fond of their cheese, which is almost exclusively packaged Polish Gouda. Polish Gouda... It's always struck me as bit of an odd concept. Still, there's Canadian Cheddar, so perhaps not that odd at all.

The Dutch must have been a bit slow off the mark to get protected status for their cheese.

PFGEN

GCM
I don't buy any of the Dulano stuff but after reading this I'm tempted just to see how shit it is.

Lidl's veg is fresher than anything else nearby which, along with the discounted arc welders and drill bits, is the main reason I go there rather than the Sainsburys the same distance away. The cheaper prices are an incentive as well.

I have a tin of their earlier mentioned luncheon meat in the cupboard. Every time I look in the bastard waves at me inviting me to get out a mess tin, heat it up with some beans, add watery instant mashed potatoes and then eat it in the garden while it's pouring rain.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Used to use TM Lewin but they’ve had quality issues of late, collars wearing out etc.

Back to Aldi.
Check where they’re made.

ericferret

War Hero
There used to be a superb Italian shop in Northampton.
Just walking in was an experience as the smell of the place was wonderful.
Just round the corner was a tiny pizza shop very low key. If you ordered a soft drink it came in the can.
Half the price of the chains and twice as good.

Sadly both appear to be gone.

Last edited:
/Thread Drift - this is the absolute mutts nuts for Polski sausages:

A lot of the local Asian-owned groceries sell them, and the range of types is almost bewildering. My favourite is the kielbasa z serem - pork sausages with mahoosive chunks of cheese cooked in. You can scoff them cold or hot, and they grill up reallly nice.
The deli I mentioned imports, their Torunska and village sausages are excellent, the latter dark skinned and brimming with garlic.

Applies to most upmarket clobber these days. musto shirt on my back was made in Bangladesh. Not lasting very well either.
I am being sure it is jolly best quality sahib! Also very special price for you!

Yup - you will get one job out of them.
That could be considered £19.99 well spent.
Take it out again 12 months later and....

Point is , when do you have to spend another £19.99. And another £19.99. And another £19.99 etc

How many £19.99 Chinese electrical tools fill our waste heaps ?

FFS
It's good economy, most of the stuff is of good quality and TUV tested, sure it's not going to be upto the standard of your top gear. especially with battery powered stuff as the batteries are generally 5hit, rotary tools you don't get the torque. But if you are just say doing jobs at home and a few jobs for mates they are fine.
I have a professional cabinet maker as a mate who has been in trade for 25 years, he swears for instance by the little mouse sander they do, never let him down.
When landscaping I bought a big SDS drill from Lidl, ok fair play I had to pack it with moly grease and buy some decent bits that weren't made made of cheese but that is still going 15 years on.
The best bit is, if it fucks up after a few jobs take it back and get a new one. I had four Mc Culloch petrol strimmers from Screwfix in a month, all to do with carb issues. Get new one, full reel of line and new brush blade, happy days.
If you know the job is a bit too much for the tool and you reckon you have been taking the piss a bit with replacing at the shop, just price one into the job somewhere.
I would however advise buying decent gear for stuff you know you are going to use every job like a cordless drill/driver etc. but some stuff you only need once in a while get cheap stuff.
Even when serving I invested in stuff like Snap-On 7/16 spanner, half inch, ratchet screwdriver etc as Britool were just not too good. Just the stuff you use on every job.
Oh and avoid Argos budget power tools because they are really bad, by really bad I think maybe they only just meet trades descriptions as tools. Bought an electric plane from there once asIi was a bit stuck, might as well have just got a butter knife out.

Last edited:

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I shop in LIDL regularly, haven't been in TESCOS for years.
I am baffled as to why the Dulano range is so poor, could be left overs from 1945. Those Bockwurst would probably survive a nuclear strike.
I give them a coat of ignoring and buy what is good.
The grappa they had on sale during the Italian week was rather good, no idea how we ended up with so many bottles. Some rather nice French cider on sale at the moment, missus likes it so stocked up for next summer.
Anything specific from the Delano range? I like it, but one mans meat, another mans poison and all that. Or maybe I’m just a rotter

I don't buy any of the Dulano stuff but after reading this I'm tempted just to see how shit it is.

Lidl's veg is fresher than anything else nearby which, along with the discounted arc welders and drill bits, is the main reason I go there rather than the Sainsburys the same distance away. The cheaper prices are an incentive as well.
It may be fresher, but it goes off quicker.

I bought a decent la'al portable DAB radio which was on sale for £5, I snapped their hand off. It fits just nicely in my patrol bag and gives me something to listen to when I'm in the crew room on my meal break. ;)
IMG_20200920_120729.jpg

Latest Threads