Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

murff576

Old-Salt
Has anyone downloaded the new Lidl plus app, you get £5 off a £25 shop to start with plus you get weekly money off vouchers off different products. Also, the more you spend, it builds up and you get more money off your shopping.
Unfortunately the Lidl Plus app is available in all of the British Isles except NI.

quilter

War Hero
For the chocoholics:- Lidl sell Ritter Sport (all varieties) for 98 pence, elsewhere they are usually £1.89 upwards, great value and the best from Germany - some are actually made in Ireland for whatever reason: the most popular choice apparently (in UK) is the Marzipan in dark choc. :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Does anyone know who sells those frankfurters/smoked sausages that are completely inedible? I'm not keen to buy them, you understand. I'm very keen to avoid them.

The sausages I'm thinking of were quite unremarkable to look at, but the skins were completely inedible. It was as if they were made of heavy gauge polythene or something (and yes, I had remembered to remove the wrapper).

I like to think that they weren't from LIDL.

Smoked sausage isn't a high quality item at the best of times. I think it's just a seasoned 'pork-based' slurry that's pumped into a skin (normally edible) and they solidify when chilled. The ones I'm describing had to be scraped away from the skin. Never come across anything like them before. Not even Matteson's own were as lousy as these.

Has anyone come across anything similar?

Kirkz

LE
Does anyone know who sells those frankfurters/smoked sausages that are completely inedible? I'm not keen to buy them, you understand. I'm very keen to avoid them.

The sausages I'm thinking of were quite unremarkable to look at, but the skins were completely inedible. It was as if they were made of heavy gauge polythene or something (and yes, I had remembered to remove the wrapper).

Smoked sausage isn't a high quality item at the best of times. I think it's just a seasoned 'pork-based' slurry that's pumped into a skin (normally edible) and they solidify when chilled. The ones I'm describing had to be scraped away from the skin. Never come across anything like them before. Not even Matteson's own were as lousy as these.

Can't remember where from but I have had some where the knife would just squash them and rebound off.

Kirkz

LE
They sound similar. You'd have thought that we'd both have remembered where we bought such monstrosities. Perhaps we're suffering a form of PTSD.
I don't think I bought them it was probably the ex wife, I do know we never got them again. Skins like a leather rugby ball.

Last edited:

ericferret

War Hero
Can't remember where from but I have had some where the knife would just squash them and rebound off.

LIDL
Dulano range. Pretty disgusting.
Why Lidl sell them beats me.
However the Alpenfest range which were on sale last week are really good.
Had to fight this German woman for the last pack.
I made that up, but there was a german lady stocking up on the Bockwurst and cleaned them out, I bought three packs of Bratties.

PFGEN

GCM
LIDL
Dulano range. Pretty disgusting.
Why Lidl sell them beats me.
However the Alpenfest range which were on sale last week are really good.
Had to fight this German woman for the last pack.
I made that up, but there was a german lady stocking up on the Bockwurst and cleaned them out, I bought three packs of Bratties.

Its not all bad but I agree a lot of it is pretty grim, Dulano lunchworst, being a case in point. It's supposed to be luncheon meat but even adding curried beans can't disguise the fact that it's pretty vile.

Its not all bad but I agree a lot of it is pretty grim, Dulano lunchworst, being a case in point. It's supposed to be luncheon meat but even adding curried beans can't disguise the fact that it's pretty vile.

Their frikadellen are so loaded with salt it makes your mouth pucker up like a cat's arse. I have a feeling that Dulano may be a manufacturing subsidiary of Lidl.

ericferret

War Hero
I shop in LIDL regularly, haven't been in TESCOS for years.
I am baffled as to why the Dulano range is so poor, could be left overs from 1945. Those Bockwurst would probably survive a nuclear strike.
I give them a coat of ignoring and buy what is good.
The grappa they had on sale during the Italian week was rather good, no idea how we ended up with so many bottles. Some rather nice French cider on sale at the moment, missus likes it so stocked up for next summer.

I don't buy any of the Dulano stuff but after reading this I'm tempted just to see how shit it is.

Lidl's veg is fresher than anything else nearby which, along with the discounted arc welders and drill bits, is the main reason I go there rather than the Sainsburys the same distance away. The cheaper prices are an incentive as well.

TamH70

MIA
I tried to jump on that Austrian-themed dealy thing the last time that I was at Lidl, desperate to buy one of yon big steins and a few tinnies of the Festbier - only to run into a complete lack of success. No steins. Thus no incentive to buy the Festbier. I contented myself a tiny little bit by getting another bottle of that Purple Panther porter.

eta.

Maybe this is why the Dulano stuff reeks - if it's the same company, their first result on Bing is for fish-bait:

Polish hot dogs have an inedible casing which you're supposed to cut off....I knew that before buying them and trying to eat...honest guv....

Hmmm, alpenfest!

Now, fondue or currywurst for breakfast?

Polish hot dogs have an inedible casing which you're supposed to cut off....I knew that before buying them and trying to eat...honest guv....

Now you tell me !

Yes, it may well have been a Polski sklep where I bought the horrors I described... or else the Polski corner that exist in some larger supermarkets.

I tried to jump on that Austrian-themed dealy thing the last time that I was at Lidl, desperate to buy one of yon big steins and a few tinnies of the Festbier - only to run into a complete lack of success. No steins. Thus no incentive to buy the Festbier.
I've come back from Lidl and mine is the opposite. Plenty of litre glass steins with big tin of festbier but no festbier cans by themselves. Since I already have half a dozen litre beer glasses I wasn't keen on adding more tat to the collection.

Maybe the festbier will arrive next week with the masonry trowels and armadillo brushes.

Yes, it may well have been a Polski sklep where I bought the horrors I described... or else the Polski corner that exist in some larger supermarkets.
I cheered my local Indian corner shop when they started getting more Indian stuff back in at start of covid - obviously you sell to your market. I have a good choice of Polish and Bulgarian meats/cheeses. Which are OKish but we also have proper a Polish deli in town - miles of difference in quality between their stuff and the Sokolow which you see most. These are the offending hotdogs...
1600516201251.png

Yes, it's certainly the Sokolow brand that appears on supermarket shelves. I think that the printing on each individual sausage casing is an indication of the horror that is likely to ensue.

Thanks. I will be sure to give them a wide swerve in future.

Latest Threads