Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

I've got a few Parkside tools from Lidl over the last couple of years and I'm pretty impressed with them for the price.

I had forgotten until just thought of it, that 8 or so years ago we were having our house done up, chimney breast knocked out, reroofed, etc., plaster and brick dust everywhere, so rather than knacker our Dyson, I bought at that time a Parkside wet and dry vacuum cleaner. It cleaned up all the dust and crap and is still brought out for heavy lift hoovering. Works a treat.

And a couple of years later, saw they brought out an HD action cam, can’t remember the exact price but was I think in the £50 ish price bracket, got one of those and takes reasonable vids which look really good on the PC and big screen TV. Not planning on being a YouTube influencer so didn’t need anything too fancy such as a GoPro, which were shed loads more expensive. It came with all the attachments for helmet and bike as well as waterproof case for water sports. Pretty good for the price.

Yup - you will get one job out of them.
That could be considered £19.99 well spent.
Take it out again 12 months later and....

Point is , when do you have to spend another £19.99. And another £19.99. And another £19.99 etc

How many £19.99 Chinese electrical tools fill our waste heaps ?

FFS

I get that. “I’m not so rich that I can afford cheap things” and other similar wisdoms.

As it happens, during the house refurb I mentioned, the plumber we used saw I had bought the Lidl vacuum cleaner and he said he really rated the Parkside gear and used them himself.

But I get the point. Lidl give I think (must remember to check) a three year guarantee with their stuff, so if I don’t disabuse the gear and not lose the receipt I should at least get some recompense.

And of course it would be a lesson learnt and then i’ll Purchase better gear, should I actually need any after i’ve Finished my projects.

Last edited:
I get that. “I’m not so rich that I can afford cheap things” and other similar wisdoms.
It only works if all the cheap things break. From my experience of Parkside stuff it's fairly robust and won't break until you really push it.

I'd argue it's the difference between £50 hiking boots that might do a dozen trips and £300 boots that are used every day of the year. No issue with the cheap boots but only if they are bought for the right job.

Nope, Batt's Dijon Mustard. Their Batt's range is pretty good, the brown sauce and BBQ sauce is just as good in my opinion as HP or other brands. The only letdown is the Worcestershire sauce, I'd rather buy Lea and Perrins (the Sainsburys stuff is also pretty good).
When I was returning from not been able to walk, only three weeks but that was 10 years too much. I worked in a factory a few days a week.
We did a Golden Syrup line on day. First bottle and lable was Silver Spoon. Machine stopped. New bottles and labels M&S, ditto Aldi an
I used to go to Sainsbury’s for bits I couldn’t get elsewhere. The shop is flipping expensive. The only thing I missed was Sweetex for my coffee. And I found them in Poundland.
Local shops, local markets, Aldi/Lidl and as this is a food thread, that’s it.
Go to McDonald's and ask for 30 when you buy a coffee

When I was returning from not been able to walk, only three weeks but that was 10 years too much. I worked in a factory a few days a week.
We did a Golden Syrup line on day. First bottle and lable was Silver Spoon. Machine stopped. New bottles and labels M&S, ditto Aldi an

Not wanting to be rude but is there a point to your story?

It only works if all the cheap things break. From my experience of Parkside stuff it's fairly robust and won't break until you really push it.

I'd argue it's the difference between £50 hiking boots that might do a dozen trips and £300 boots that are used every day of the year. No issue with the cheap boots but only if they are bought for the right job.
Also a three year warranty

endure

GCM

The same factory makes the same product but puts different labels on it. The only difference that the label makes is the price you pay...

No
Oh maybe most brands are made in the same factory using the same materials.

I really hope the kids are buggers tomorrow

endure

GCM
No

Don't we all... :clap:

Thanks for the top tip. Paying a pound gets me about 600. I have never bought a coffee in McDonalds. The last time I bought anything in a McDonalds was when I was dragged to the said place in 1993 in Celle. Bit of a drag from Hohne, but ‘go on, then’. I loved the bit where you could get a beer with your ‘Fischmack”. Giggled about it over the phone with the missus the next day.

No

You might want to go back to that post and edit it so that it makes sense then.

I also hope the kids are being absolute ******* mental cnuts tomorrow and Wednesday.

Agreed. So far, the Lidl stuff we’ve bought has actually done pretty well. As for £50 boots, that’s about the price I paid for some Berghaus Goretex lined GTX walking boots years ago, probably about 8 or 10, for schlepping about during the winter months and going on ski trips with, not of course skiing in them. Still going strong and worth every penny. But if I was to do some serious hiking I may have to consider getting something else, not that that’s likely at my age.

You might want to go back to that post and edit it so that it makes sense then.

I also hope the kids are being absolute ******* mental cnuts tomorrow and Wednesday.
Me too.
Errrm, are you using this to ‘get into the mood’? I.e. Taking on belligerant tossers on here to limber up?

Me too.
Errrm, are you using this to ‘get into the mood’? I.e. Taking on belligerant tossers on here to limber up?
Nope, the little shites don't come back into school until Thursday. I am all in favour of them working off surplus energy and generally acting the **** at home on Tuesday and Wednesday :)

You'd know if I was doing classroom shit as I would be much more polite and acting like I cared.

Erl
Thanks for the top tip. Paying a pound gets me about 600. I have never bought a coffee in McDonalds. The last time I bought anything in a McDonalds was when I was dragged to the said place in 1993 in Celle. Bit of a drag from Hohne, but ‘go on, then’. I loved the bit where you could get a beer with your ‘Fischmack”. Giggled about it over the phone with the missus the next day.

I might have a few for sale. pm me

endure

GCM
Me too.

Top tip - kick the shit out of the first 12 year old you meet until they cry.

Pick them up and hurl them into the classroom corner then get your cock out, flail it around, shout who's first motherf*cker and then say 'welcome to my classroom headmistress'...

Phew I must wash my sheets...

E2A don't blame me blame the Ribera del Dureo :mrgreen:

Top tip - kick the shit out of the first 12 year old you meet until they cry.

Pick them up and hurl them into the classroom corner then get your cock out, flail it around, shout who's first motherf*cker and then say 'welcome to my classroom headmistress'...

Phew I must wash my sheets...
Were you a teacher in a Scottish boarding school?

Oh and just add, the blade for the sabre saw is made in Switzerland, or so it says on the Lidl packaging. So not Chinese.

Don’t know about the gear though, that could be Chinese. :???:

Latest Threads