Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

ericferret

War Hero
Yay, for those of us with eastern European background, eastern European week is coming up. I'll be getting some pierogis and hams in. Not bad, even when compared with those I get from the Polish shops, though I stay clear of the gherkins, too vinegary.

Boo, what is it with Lidl and their wine suppliers? The other half really likes the Navarra which at £3.99 doesn't break the bank and is fairly quaffable if you're not a wine snob.

But for the last few weeks, nada.

Try Lidl Freshona pickled cornishons with chili, not too vinegary. I can eat them like sweets.
They do them in plain and with honey. I would stick to the chilli ones, red lid.

I may have mentioned this before, but for Beer Lovers, this is worthy of another heads up.

Beers

Actually brewed by Shepherd Neame - there are 5 Numbered beers that I have tried, all excellent, around the 5% mark and get this -
£1.59 a bottle !

Its fcuking Ace beer , really !

That's good to know, I'll certainly give them a try now.

That's good to know, I'll certainly give them a try now.

Seriously worth buying one of each and working out which you like the most.

I still haven't quite decided , but I think No5 Purple Panther (Porter) clinches it. Or maybe No2 Green Gecko ( bursting with American hops ).

Best go and buy some more, just to be sure.

I still haven't quite decided , but I think No5 Purple Panther (Porter) clinches it. Or maybe No2 Green Gecko ( bursting with American hops ).

Thanks, I was going to Lidl tomorrow so will pick up one of each. Always worthwhile trying a recommended drink. I think I refrained before with the Hatherwood after I had one of Lidl's lagers, can't remember which one, put me off trying anything else.

quilter

War Hero
For non alcoholic joy, try Lidl's one litre bottle of Mexican Lime and Elderflower sparkling fruit crush, kept in the fridge, it is nectar, brilliant on a hot day!:highfive:

Kirkz

LE

I've been on the Purple Panther porter for a number of years now, it's a seriously good beer and difficult to beat for the price.
Excellent post Mukker.

For non alcoholic joy, try Lidl's one litre bottle of Mexican Lime and Elderflower sparkling fruit crush, kept in the fridge, it is nectar, brilliant on a hot day!:highfive:

Being a non-imbiber, I slurp their Naturis Cloudy Apple Juice. Ice cold with Ice cubes, wonderful and, it actualy tastes like ...Apples !

Ok, i’ve Tried them and you’re right. They’ll now be my go to buy for stocking the cellar. They are good and for the price a no brainer.

No real favourites but I do like the Green Gecko.

TamH70

MIA
Ok, i’ve Tried them and you’re right. They’ll now be my go to buy for stocking the cellar. They are good and for the price a no brainer.

No real favourites but I do like the Green Gecko.
I tried that Purple Panther as it was relatively cheap for a bottled beer up here in the Glorious Republic of Weefreeistan, only for me to discover that it is eminently quaffable to an almost ridiculous degree, and is probably the best Stout/Porter/dark ale I have ever drank.

Which makes me even more annoyed with myself for falling for Guinness's marketing hype, trying that, discovering that it tastes like crappy beer mixed with the contents of an old ashtray and allowing myself to be put off of all Porters since as surely they would all taste that horrible?

I am buying more.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I tried that Purple Panther as it was relatively cheap for a bottled beer up here in the Glorious Republic of Weefreeistan, only for me to discover that it is eminently quaffable to an almost ridiculous degree, and is probably the best Stout/Porter/dark ale I have ever drank.

Which makes me even more annoyed with myself for falling for Guinness's marketing hype, trying that, discovering that it tastes like crappy beer mixed with the contents of an old ashtray and allowing myself to be put off of all Porters since as surely they would all taste that horrible?

I am buying more.
You might enjoy a good double chocolate stout, Youngs and Samuel Smiths come to mind. I'm a confirmed lager lout, but a couple of years ago when out with a fellow Arrser, we decided to go off the beaten track along London's South Bank and try the little back street pubs, found one and it sold said stout, we gave it a go along with another 7 or 8 after that one.

TamH70

MIA
Bought some more of the Purple Panther beer on my trip to Lidl.

It's ludicrously cheap - £1.25 for a 500ml bottle, especially considering its A.B.V.

You might enjoy a good double chocolate stout, Youngs and Samuel Smiths come to mind. I'm a confirmed lager lout, but a couple of years ago when out with a fellow Arrser, we decided to go off the beaten track along London's South Bank and try the little back street pubs, found one and it sold said stout, we gave it a go along with another 7 or 8 after that one.
Used to enjoy a Sam Smiths stout in the Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street (after some OBB). In the city purely on business, mind.
Otherwise, and nowadays, I like Titanic stout, and their plum porter.
Keep the dark ales flowing, I say.

So after a year of sitting in the shed, my petrol strimmer chugged smoke and stopped working. The next day whilst in Lidl saw a battery powered one for £19.99 so grabbed it and have to say fairly impressed with it. Admittedly, only need it for light duty grass trimming around the borders.

Few weeks later, ordered in some replacement fence posts, arris rails etc., to replace a couple of rotted out ones and needing to cut and shape the rails, saw the Lidl Parkside battery powered sabre saw at £19.99, and thought I’ll ‘ave that too. Then a week or two later, was tempted by and got the cordless sabre saw and another battery. Not used them yet, their first outing is tomorrow, could be famous last words but they look as though they’ll be man enough for the jobs I need them for. It’s not as though I’m planning to be a chippie working on building sites. I hadn’t shopped around to compare prices much but a quick shuftie in B&Q didn’t show anything cheaper.

Kirkz

LE
So after a year of sitting in the shed, my petrol strimmer chugged smoke and stopped working. The next day whilst in Lidl saw a battery powered one for £19.99 so grabbed it and have to say fairly impressed with it. Admittedly, only need it for light duty grass trimming around the borders.

Few weeks later, ordered in some replacement fence posts, arris rails etc., to replace a couple of rotted out ones and needing to cut and shape the rails, saw the Lidl Parkside battery powered sabre saw at £19.99, and thought I’ll ‘ave that too. Then a week or two later, was tempted by and got the cordless sabre saw and another battery. Not used them yet, their first outing is tomorrow, could be famous last words but they look as though they’ll be man enough for the jobs I need them for. It’s not as though I’m planning to be a chippie working on building sites. I hadn’t shopped around to compare prices much but a quick shuftie in B&Q didn’t show anything cheaper.
I've got a few Parkside tools from Lidl over the last couple of years and I'm pretty impressed with them for the price.

Yup - you will get one job out of them.
That could be considered £19.99 well spent.
Take it out again 12 months later and....

Point is , when do you have to spend another £19.99. And another £19.99. And another £19.99 etc

How many £19.99 Chinese electrical tools fill our waste heaps ?

FFS

Latest Threads