Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

I have always liked those bitterballen/kroketten things they do. Crunchy on the outside and liquid magma in the centre.
The Dutch look at you strange when you don’t order these with your beers for the table. This is my recent experience in NL anyway.
I don’t recall this at Hohne when we used to have beer with the Cloggies. Mind you, genever may have been involved.
Anyway: eating’s cheating!

clothears

War Hero
I have always liked those bitterballen/kroketten things they do. Crunchy on the outside and liquid magma in the centre.
First thing I do when the plane lands in Amsterdam. Heineken Café, fresh coffee, fizzy water and two orders of bitterballen. Then I can face the connecting flights.

They've got their christmas spirits in. Not that impressed with the calvados, the flavour is good but there's quite a harsh alcohol note in there as well. Might work well for cooking or saving until later in the evening.

The 'Ron Rumbero' rum is very nice, apparently from Cuba and aged for 7 years. Either way it's very smooth and mellow. I'm not a coinnes conn fancy person but it's nicer than some rums that I've tried which cost a fair bit more than this did.

They've got their christmas spirits in. Not that impressed with the calvados, the flavour is good but there's quite a harsh alcohol note in there as well. Might work well for cooking or saving until later in the evening.

The 'Ron Rumbero' rum is very nice, apparently from Cuba and aged for 7 years. Either way it's very smooth and mellow. I'm not a coinnes conn fancy person but it's nicer than some rums that I've tried which cost a fair bit more than this did.
If you have a Morrisons locally, might be worth checking to see if they've got Woods Navy rum in - £19.99 for 70 cl at a liver wrecking 57%.

Very sippable.

TamH70

MIA
If you have a Morrisons locally, might be worth checking to see if they've got Woods Navy rum in - £19.99 for 70 cl at a liver wrecking 57%.

Very sippable.
I think I'll pass. I was out drinking in one of the pubs in Richmond with some Combat Linemen trainees, I had some of that stuff and ended up piss-drunk and unconscious outside the Garrison Court Martial Centre. No wallet in my jeans but over two hundred quid in my pocket. Yes, I missed first parade the following morning. Yes, I got a ballocking for it.

Try this..... very smooth.

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

Went to buy some Stella to go with a ruby. £5.90 in Sainsbury’s Local (for the pint cans). £5.20 in LIDL.

LIDL also sell a Stella knock-off called Galereux at £2.67 for 4x440ml cans. Same strength, both brewed in U.K. and the cans are so similar in design it’s spooky. I bought some Stella and some Galereux and I can’t tell the difference.

Given the litigious nature of booze companies like InBev I find it difficult to believe that they are not the same thing.

I don’t drink much beer nowadays but henceforth I think I will stick to the LIDL own brand.

Gustinkovski

Old-Salt
This week one of the specials was this smoked ham £8.99 a kg. Anyone have any idea what to do with it other than hacking it up and scoffing it.

They've also Long Clawson Stilton for £3.29 a lb, very cheap and I know I'll be having that in a sauce with steak and also making broccoli and Stilton soup.
I give it to you fine people a thread to make best of the supermarket bargains.
If it's a whole piece, rather than slices, I have already done this twice. Chopped onion & red cabbage, diced carrot and maybe some swede, sweat/fry. Throw in cubes of the ham, add a tin or half of Pea and Ham soup (Asda or Tesco) with small tin additional garden/processed peas. Have with Mashed tatties. Or Pea and Ham Risotto not tried that.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
If it's a whole piece, rather than slices, I have already done this twice. Chopped onion & red cabbage, diced carrot and maybe some swede, sweat/fry. Throw in cubes of the ham, add a tin or half of Pea and Ham soup (Asda or Tesco) with small tin additional garden/processed peas. Have with Mashed tatties. Or Pea and Ham Risotto not tried that.
Five years later it's gone a bit rancid while I waited for you to reply :)

The Lidl Veg Box (£1.50), what a bargain:

lidl veg box

Very sippable.
I'd get a couple of bottles but I'm experimenting with home brew, a still and rum flavourings.

Latest Threads