Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Not visited it yet, but it seems to be one of those places with different stalls, offering different menus, with a communal seating area.
Ah yes, there's something similar in Colindale NW9, just about where the old Yaohan Centre used to be. The Bang Bang City or something. Not bad. You'd probably take your third best girlfriend there.

Ah yes, there's something similar in Colindale NW9, just about where the old Yaohan Centre used to be. The Bang Bang City or something. Not bad. You'd probably take your third best girlfriend there.
I take my best wife there when we can't be bothered to cook.
40 odd kiosks serving every East Asian cuisine, if the clientele are anything to go by it must be pretty authentic.
Mains are about 8-10, good sized portions.

I've bought a fair selection of odds and ends from Lidl, including a ratchet socket spanner set which seemed to have all the right sizes of head, however, while trying to tighten up an alternator belt on my boat's engine yesterday, it crumbled and sprayed bits of metal into the bilges.
IMGP0010.jpg

Threw the lot into the bin and bought 'Stanley' at Screwfix, which seems to work.

Slime

LE
I've bought a fair selection of odds and ends from Lidl, including a ratchet socket spanner set which seemed to have all the right sizes of head, however, while trying to tighten up an alternator belt on my boat's engine yesterday, it crumbled and sprayed bits of metal into the bilges.View attachment 431523
Threw the lot into the bin and bought 'Stanley' at Screwfix, which seems to work.
Those walls look shockingly thin.

A good quality socket at a good price are the Halfords Advanced range. They come with a lifetime guarantee, and I think they are every bit as good as more expensive brands like Teng or Facom.

Halfords also do a trade card, all you need is photo ID and a qualification certificate from quite a wide range of trades. The Trade card gives between 10-20% off tools.

While I use a lot of Facom or Snap On tools, Ive been more than happy with Halfords Advanced tools. :)

Frikadellen are easy to make so i never buy them,The bought ones always seem to be very salty and full of grizzle.
It's probably the way to go. Lidl's offerings are not very pleasant. I can tolerate 'unhealthy' if something is at least enjoyable. My own meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf etc can be a bit dry. I suspect it might be because I have tended towards using lean mince (ie 5% fat).

Those walls look shockingly thin.

A good quality socket at a good price are the Halfords Advanced range. They come with a lifetime guarantee, and I think they are every bit as good as more expensive brands like Teng or Facom.

Halfords also do a trade card, all you need is photo ID and a qualification certificate from quite a wide range of trades. The Trade card gives between 10-20% off tools.

While I use a lot of Facom or Snap On tools, Ive been more than happy with Halfords Advanced tools. :)
I've been losing Halfords advanced tools up my garage for years. They're pretty damn good and can generally pick up the large 200+ piece kits for peanuts in the sales.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Slime

LE
I've been losing Halfords advanced tools up my garage for years. They're pretty damn good and can generally pick up the large 200+ piece kits for peanuts in the sales.
You should be more careful then ;)

All this talk of frikadellen, does anyone recall going to Enschede, just across the border in the NL. They did a huge market at the weekends and the rugrats loved it.
They did a sausage type thing, like a deep fried hot dog, served on a warm roll which had been spiked so the sausage slipped into one end. They called it a Frikadellen too but they were farking lush and we wouldn't leave until we'd had two each.

It's probably the way to go. Lidl's offerings are not very pleasant. I can tolerate 'unhealthy' if something is at least enjoyable. My own meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf etc can be a bit dry. I suspect it might be because I have tended towards using lean mince (ie 5% fat).
Compensate by cooking in butter. Feel the cholesterol.

That's the badger. I've only had it stuffed into a small warm baguette, squirt of senf, lush.
I spent 2 years in NL, used to buy them by the box (40) for about €8, absolutely love them. When I lived in Belgium in the 80’s I’m sure we used to get a horse meat version, but my memory could be playing tricks on me

Last edited:

Latest Threads