Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Some of the local Ex pats , myself included have a UK breakfast every few months or so for each other and to educate the locals as to what a good breakfast is.

I always get , on trips back to the UK Cumberland sausages, smoked back bacon , Heinz beans etc. freeze it and stick it in the hold case. Customer here never seems to check , hence all the crap and alien plants we see.

Some of the tighter ones get the mini Lidl German sausages, beans and tomatoes . Tight gits.

Still quite close and it’s a free meal.

One year we returned to a B&B in Naples. and the owner asked us to fetch over some English bacon and a few tins of Heinz baked beans, as he'd worked in Liverpool for a while, and would love to taste it again.

Slighty overweight suitcase, the exact weight of a tin of beans, they wanted to charge me 12 quid !

I took it out, put it in my hand luggage, then had to argue the beans were more solid, than liquid, with security........ luckily common sense prevailed.

One year we returned to a B&B in Naples. and the owner asked us to fetch over some English bacon and a few tins of Heinz baked beans, as he'd worked in Liverpool for a while, and would love to taste it again.

Slighty overweight suitcase, the exact weight of a tin of beans, they wanted to charge me 12 quid !

I took it out, put it in my hand luggage, then had to argue the beans were more solid, than liquid, with security........ luckily common sense prevailed.
Common sense is great.

Second to last trip back , BA check in or bag drop at T5. Waiting in line , got told to go to the far side to do the bag drop. No staff just “ the Machine”.

Put on hold bag and it was 23.05 Kg . Machine refuses to , as it would, print out the luggage label unless I paid the extra XXX quid as I was over the 23 kg limit?

Took out a few books and job jobbed.

Never will uses the “ machine” again.

Common sense is great.

Second to last trip back , BA check in or bag drop at T5. Waiting in line , got told to go to the far side to do the bag drop. No staff just “ the Machine”.

Put on hold bag and it was 23.05 Kg . Machine refuses to , as it would, print out the luggage label unless I paid the extra XXX quid as I was over the 23 kg limit?

Took out a few books and job jobbed.

Never will uses the “ machine” again.

I've got a digital luggage weigher, and it always seems to register 2 kilos less than the airport machines, when I check when packing, before going to the airport.

Do Trading Standards ever check the buggers ?

I've got a digital luggage weigher, and it always seems to register 2 kilos less than the airport machines, when I check when packing, before going to the airport.

Do Trading Standards ever check the buggers ?
Have to agree 100 % , got back last week from a trip to Disnay World , it was hell.

Before going used our digital scales and we were at the 21 kg area.

Both BA and TUI had them as 18 or 19 kg and I am very happy with that. Mrs OB always kicks the arrse out of packing . We normally have three at 23 kg of which she has about two full of her shite , half of which she never uses.

This time two weeks in Disney we could have managed with a couple of plastic carrier bags.

So hot and humid did washing in the site laundry every three days. I actually did only use three pairs of shorts, tee shirts, shreddies , socks and one pair of swimming trunks.

Winner.

Also as the washer broke on the first wash and the dryer the second , the nice lady at the front desk gave me 8 free washer cards that covered the next 10 days.

Must give Disney 10 out of 10 for customer service. Every real complaint, request, question was solved, answered and fixed.

I even tripped, my own fault after paying for a dinner, so spilt my beer. Walking back to my table, a very nice lady said, just go back and tell the server you tripped.

Did so and got a free beer. Again winner.

Pressure washer...... should be some still in there, £60.

Tried it out today..... cleaned the car and the van, all gutters and fascias, all PVC frames and windows on the house.

Cracking little unit, especially at the price, just remember to release the pressure at the gun, before trying to dismantle the hose, the back pressure will jam in the nut otherwise.
Little tip for you mate; Don't use a pressure washer on Double glazing. They tend to open the Gas seals and you'll get a fogging between the panes that you can't get rid of.
I did it once. An expensive mistake on my Conservatory.

Lidl near me (Sandhurst area) has got a load of French stuff in. More importantly a nice variety of posh beers I can't normally get hold of. I'm going back tomorrow to clean them out of this stuff as I haven't had it for years.

They've got a very acceptable white wine on special this Saturday...... £2.99.

You are only supposed to buy 6 bottles at once...... nothing to stop you going around several times, if you aren't TOO obvious.

Better to have a cellar full of cheap decent wine than money in the bank.

Go early........

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Just been into my local Lidl. French week and loads of Greek stuff still left. The goats cheese is magnifique.....

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just nabbed some of the cast iron cookware. Billy bargain, £24 for a casserole post, £19 for a griddle pan - quite comparable to Le Creuset at around 10% of the price. Certainly not 90% inferior.

Them ALPENFEST BOCKWURST have also been back. However daughter has taken a shine to them. Told her that unless she had been to Germany she was banned. Countered by pointing out that I had taken mother on holiday to Germany while pregnant. Therefore she had been there.
Bugger. Her mum hates me, providing intelligence to the enemy.

They've got a very acceptable white wine on special this Saturday...... £2.99.

You are only supposed to buy 6 bottles at once...... nothing to stop you going around several times, if you aren't TOO obvious.

Better to have a cellar full of cheap decent wine than money in the bank.

Go early........
What white wine is that?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Visited the store in Downpatrick today to see a fair number of new ales on the shelf; currently testing a bottle of IPA; 'Voreia', made by the 'Siris microbrewery' in Greece. Powerful gear at 7%, £2.49 per bottle or £4 for two. Really quite good, but the alcohol content's too high.

(Christ. Did I just say that?)

Alpen week here as well in NL. Picked up some Franconian white wine at about €5 a bottle. Bit more expensive than usual for a Lidl bottle of plonk but it has gone down very nicely. Need to get a few more.