Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

I get one every week for my butties.

Has anyone noticed that you can only get the smooth fresh orange juice ?. The one with bits in that I prefer has not been on the sale in my local store for over three weeks
I used to buy their Orange juice but, now buy their cloudy Apple juice, it actually tastes like Apples without all the sugary crap normally in these juices, try it.

I often get the same from Iceland, who also do beef and roast pork trimming as well, sometimes decent slices, sometimes huge chunks for the ham.
What is striking about all these posts is, what a bunch of canny shoppers, the emphasis on 'shoppers'.

The amount of people nowadays that go onto 'cruise control' through a supermarket every week, then complain about the cost and quality of the food. Their attitude to both Aldi and Lidl beggars belief, all I get is "cheap and cheerful" or, "pile it high and sell it cheap"!

My answer is always the same,"Germans don't buy shite" and "Great, stay away, it means I spend less time at the checkout with nobody there"!

I have not had a roast dinner for something like 3 months and could not wait until the weekend so popped into Aldi . Now my car has been off the road for about a month so being nowhere near a Aldi i kind of forgot what it was like .
I picked up a small chicken , carrots , broccoli , cabbage and stuffing for something like £3.68 . Even if i had got spuds there and stock cubes it would be about £4.60 . And the chicken would have fed 4 easy with leftovers .

I dread to think how much it would be from Tesco and what the quality would be like . I bought some of there something farms branded chicken a while back and it was fibreous like a cross section of ships rope . You actually could hear the knife sawing through it !

I wouldn't be so annoyed if they were the cheapest but they are not , worse combination of price and quality out of all supermarkets if you ask me .

What is striking about all these posts is, what a bunch of canny shoppers, the emphasis on 'shoppers'.

The amount of people nowadays that go onto 'cruise control' through a supermarket every week, then complain about the cost and quality of the food. Their attitude to both Aldi and Lidl beggars belief, all I get is "cheap and cheerful" or, "pile it high and sell it cheap"!

My answer is always the same,"Germans don't buy shite" and "Great, stay away, it means I spend less time at the checkout with nobody there"!
Yep.
A lot of people appear to be supermarket snobs who look down on Aldi & the like because those on a limited budget tend shop there.
I buy on quality then price, which is why stuff like steak comes from my local butcher, chicken, minced steak & gammon joints from Aldi & NZ lamb from either Tesco or Morrisons.
10 good size eggs from Aldi (average 65g) for 89p sure beats 10 large eggs from Tesco (Average 69g) for £1.50
Their premium cat pouches are something like £2.29 against £3.50 or more for Felix or Whiskas & seem to be just as desirable for the mog's as the latter.
I reckon shopping at Aldi saves me about £10 a week, which might not seem much but it's for one person & means I have £500 more to spend on holidays or leisure stuff but still get food that's as good or better than from elsewhere.

Just got 6 cases of their Don Pedro white...... £2.99 a bottle.

I should be Ciggied for a while on that.

Finished off with a trip to the Fish Quay, in Sunderland....... wanted a bag of crab claws, but none left, so settled for a big cock- crab, feisty bugger, just waiting for my wife to go out, so I can arm- wrestle him into the pot.

My answer is always the same,"Germans don't buy shite ..."
My sentiments exactly, and I've used those very words, but the message often falls on stony ground with British civvies who've watched too many war films and look on all things German (except cars, perhaps) as the pits. It's the same when the missus and I say we're off to the Fatherland on holiday: blank stares and "What do you want to go there for?" We Cold War warriors know better!

Anyway, no search result for Lidl's new range of crisps, so worth a mention: their Ridge Cut Sea Salted, at 85p, are among the best I've found anywhere, at least as good as some brands costing three times as much. Such crisps as I do eat have to be plain/salted, so I can't comment on the other flavours, but I assume quality is just as high. They sell a similar-looking line at 75p but they're not in the same league; it's important to look for the 'Ridge' (wriggly-tin style) label. Terrific value.

I used to buy their Orange juice but, now buy their cloudy Apple juice, it actually tastes like Apples without all the sugary crap normally in these juices, try it.
The cloudy apple juice is great, I usually just grab the cardboard container with six of them in it.

Clarkes Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey - not bad at all
0.7 L bottle - regular price 7.59 Euro at Aldi in Bavaria

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tesco do bacon off cuts, when Stevie Wonder is on the bacon slicer down at the factory ,you either get fag paper thin or one BFO chop in there.
It can be a bit hit and miss, I bought a pack the other week, it was a huge wedge of bacon wrapped with a couple of thin slices.

I've been waiting for yonks for Lidl to have another German week. Last time they had packs of bockwurst with cheese inside. I think they were called Kasekrainer. Bloody lovely.
You'd think they'd do more being a German company.

I've been waiting for yonks for Lidl to have another German week. Last time they had packs of bockwurst with cheese inside. I think they were called Kasekrainer. Bloody lovely.
You'd think they'd do more being a German company.
Both Aldi and Lidl, try to buy as much 'local' produce as they can, if they can source it in the UK, they will buy it as a matter of course.

Unlike some of the 'British' Supermarket chains.

Both Aldi and Lidl, try to buy as much 'local' produce as they can, if they can source it in the UK, they will buy it as a matter of course.

Unlike some of the 'British' Supermarket chains.
It seems Kasekrainer actually originated in Austria but there's no difference I guess. Somebody on here bought a trolley full of various meats last time. Can't remember who though.
They can be obtained from an online shop called thesausageman or sommat like that but they're a bit costly.

If you factor in the 30% off the chilled meat as well, when the new stock is due......... get your freezer filled.

Last week I got 15 chicken breasts for about a tenner, Friday I got 2 gorgeous lamb steaks for about £2.40.

Sometimes after 2 on Sunday can be good, or midweek.

Plus the weekend specials are worthwhile too...... some come up regularly, eg excellent fresh ground coffee is half price every couple of months

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
It can be a bit hit and miss, I bought a pack the other week, it was a huge wedge of bacon wrapped with a couple of thin slices.
Yeah I have to hold up the bags, feel, turn it around, ha bacon chops detected, reject, next one, hmm, looks ok, err no, next one, hmm all smoked, then who has been eating my porridge moment.