Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Funny that. Lots of people have a downer on Greek food. I always thought this was a bit unfair to Greece.

I lived in Athens for six months and the food was always excellent. Fresh grilled meat and fish straight from the sea, fresh salads and vegetables, excellent dried meats, cheeses etc. Pretty much the same as any country on the northern Med.

And very healthy (As long as you can get them to hold back on the olive oil). It’s good scoff.

My local fish restaurant would let you choose a fish from a fishmongers counter thing, cook it and serve it up with fried/sautéed potatoes. They had a small watering can full of olive oil and would pour it over the food on the pass. I love food with olive oil and I much much prefer it to olive oil with some food.

Funny that. Lots of people have a downer on Greek food. I always thought this was a bit unfair to Greece.

I lived in Athens for six months and the food was always excellent. Fresh grilled meat and fish straight from the sea, fresh salads and vegetables, excellent dried meats, cheeses etc. Pretty much the same as any country on the northern Med.

And very healthy (As long as you can get them to hold back on the olive oil). It’s good scoff.

My local fish restaurant would let you choose a fish from a fishmongers counter thing, cook it and serve it up with fried/sautéed potatoes. They had a small watering can full of olive oil and would pour it over the food on the pass. I love food with olive oil and I much much prefer it to olive oil with some food.
Oldmate of mine was a Greek para type, now a coastguard, has his family farm where he grows olives, sell's them off to a local olive oilery and gets to keep several gallons of the pressed stuff. Everything slathered in olive oil and always a gift of a 5 litre jug whenever visiting.

I always liked the food I got there.

Had a few trips to Greece, mostly Athens. I guess I missed out on the decent stuff. Anything I've had from Stavros and his peeps has resulted in jelly botty the next day. Italy on the other hand has yet to disappoint.

Had a few trips to Greece, mostly Athens. I guess I missed out on the decent stuff. Anything I've had from Stavros and his peeps has resulted in jelly botty the next day. Italy on the other hand has yet to disappoint.
Ah. Jellybotty, that well known Renaissance painter.

I hardly ever bother with Stavros in the UK. British Greek restauarants are rarely a favoured destination.

The “villa” (read little bungalow thing) I lived in was owned by a Greek woman whose Boxhead husband had stayed there after Wobbly II and used his Wehrmacht pension to build a block of flats and the bungalow/villa. He worked for the Fix Brewery (which was set up by Boxheads - decent beer).

She cooked us a moussaka one evening as she violently disliked our version as she didn’t think it was genuine. Fish in olive oil to start. Moussaka with half a gallon of olive oil. Galaktobouriko or some 7,000 calorie equivalent. At the end of the meal neither me nor my missus could walk because of calorific overload.

Fully agree with Italian food. IN ITALY!

Where are the schnitzels in Lidl, every time I look I can't find them. Same for Aldi. They used to be a staple but now can't find them in either for love nor money.

Slightly wary of the "Day Glo" orange coating on the schnitzels, found them a bit dry too.

Shall give them another punt though just to confirm my findings.

Slightly wary of the "Day Glo" orange coating on the schnitzels, found them a bit dry too.

Shall give them another punt though just to confirm my findings.
They'd have to be something really special for me to buy them when home made is so cheap and so easy. Pack of pork loin steaks, boneless chops (or whatever pork cut takes your fancy.) Flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Shallow fry. Done.

I like a sauce with schnitzel. I do a Jaegery one with mushrooms and creme fraiche or else a goulashy one with smoked paprika.

Greek restaurants Are not that popular here because most of the food is simple but very fresh. A Greek salad here made with flavorless Dutch or Spanish poly tunnel veg is never going to be a winner.

Ah. Jellybotty, that well known Renaissance painter.

I hardly ever bother with Stavros in the UK. British Greek restauarants are rarely a favoured destination.

The “villa” (read little bungalow thing) I lived in was owned by a Greek woman whose Boxhead husband had stayed there after Wobbly II and used his Wehrmacht pension to build a block of flats and the bungalow/villa. He worked for the Fix Brewery (which was set up by Boxheads - decent beer).

She cooked us a moussaka one evening as she violently disliked our version as she didn’t think it was genuine. Fish in olive oil to start. Moussaka with half a gallon of olive oil. Galaktobouriko or some 7,000 calorie equivalent. At the end of the meal neither me nor my missus could walk because of calorific overload.

Fully agree with Italian food. IN ITALY!
I'd avoid any Greek restaurants here in NL as they tend to be run by Johnny Turk rather than Stavros. Might as well just cut out the middle man and flush the whole lot down the pan.

For Italian, definitely eat in Italy. I've been to quite a few different regions and the nosh has always been top regardless of it being a small ma and pa, two tables only outfit in a village or a decent restaurant in larger city.

Having time to kill near a big Lidl shop today, I thought I'd have a mooch.

Bockwurst was a blast from the past, simmered some for my tea. Delicious.

Decided to take a chance on 'Perlenbacher' lager to wash it down. Only bought a slack handful in case it was pish.

Very, very tasty.

You live and learn.

I know it's not food, but a Lidl bargain nonetheless, bought myself one of these, only £4.99 comes with sturdy carry case, good weight to it, comes with 3 year warranty too. ;)

The trouble is that neither store has a complete range, so you have to visit both to get what you want then possibly to the big 4 for the odd item.
What I find truly annoying is the inconsistent supply chain. Go in one week, big stack of tinned pineapple in juice, go in next time, they only have pineapple in syrup. Buy some Cereal one week, like it, never to be seen again. Most recent one, biscuits, the eating with cheese type - can I ever find a pack of the rosemary ones? can I buggery, only ever have the black pepper ones in.

Don’t get me wrong, the ‘stock one item rather than ten brands of the same thing’ is perfectly sensible - but it’s **** all use if you can’t successfully keep that one item in stock

Decided to take a chance on 'Perlenbacher' lager to wash it down. Only bought a slack handful in case it was pish.

Very, very tasty.

You live and learn.
Perlenbacher is 29 cents a can here and you get 25 cents back when you recycle the can. Bargain, 4 cents for a can of 5% lager, gotta love the Jewburners.

I ever find a pack of the rosemary ones? can I buggery, only ever have the black pepper ones in.
They come in mixed boxes of all flavours, the rosemary ones just go first out of the box and they end up with several boxes with all the nice ones gone so rest get decanted into one box which ends up full of the ones nobody likes. Take that first box of the shelf and see if there is a full one behind it and empty it of the rosemary ones you want. I do like those rosemary ones with a bit of strong chedder.

Very, very tasty.
You live and learn.
I thought their Gunnpowder IPA (Innis & Gunn) was very nice, shed-loads of hops. I made a chance buy and went back for more. 5% ABV, £1.50 for 500mL I think

. For lovers of Eurofizz, it's a bit like lager but with a taste.

Very, very tasty.

You live and learn.
Perlanbacher is 38 cents a can (500ml) here in Spain Deffo my favourite now. Missus likes the Perlenbacher Radler also at 38 cents a 500ml can so works out incredibly cheap.