Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Sorry, but I voted out, and I can't believe that the childish antics from the cnuts inside the cabal, would persuade Goers could change their minds to stay.

WHAT DO WE WANT.... OUT !

WHEN DO WE WANT IT..... NOW

What I do notice is that Aldi and Lidl rarely set up close to each other. In Brighton, Aldi is a short walk from Sainsbury's and Coop, Lidl a short walk from Asda. Aldi tends to be better for white meat (pork, chicken), Lidl for red meat. The trouble is that neither store has a complete range, so you have to visit both to get what you want then possibly to the big 4 for the odd item. Lidl is definitely better for wine and in France, both stores do a very good beer at 7.8% (not available in the UK).
Aldi and Lidl face each other on either side of the A30 in Blackwater, Camberley.

Oddly Aldi is labelled as such on Maps but Lidl is labelled “Discount Supermarket”.

Last edited:
Next weekend, Lidl have got some decent Italian white gulping wine on special, plus some excellent ground coffee at half price......... I've had them before, and they're a bargain.
My recommendations:- Lidl's Kartoffeln salat is great, I agree their ground coffee is good, their choice of dark choc is also good, their Ritter Sport is cheapest I have found (South London), pity they don't do their McEnery hamburger/hotdog :cry: relish anymore. Any suggestions for a decent substitute? :biggrin:

Lidl have displayed a German range this week; Haxe, bratwurst of various types, bockwurst (better than the usual product, I think), schnitzel etc. The mini-haxe, which is packaged in boxes of 3, is very good. Freezer full of it now, because they'll take it all down in a few weeks as usual.

Lidl have displayed a German range this week; Haxe, bratwurst of various types, bockwurst (better than the usual product, I think), schnitzel etc. The mini-haxe, which is packaged in boxes of 3, is very good. Freezer full of it now, because they'll take it all down in a few weeks as usual.
In NL its now on special which means its already on its way out with us. It was a short pitch this time as we'd just finished the Italian ham weeks. Loaded up with the bratties, schnitzels, strudel, some Austrian smoked cheese, fondue and other goodies.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Bought a load of German stuff today, also the Polish dumplings that are great in some stock and vegetables like those ‘stir fry’ packs supermarkets sell.
Goose fat potatoes also in today and Spanish Asparagus- can’t wait for our own though.

I don't suppose that the world will stop turning, but should not Currywurst have Bratwurst as the principle ingredient, rather than Bockwurst?
My stomach hasn’t stopped turning!

When did currywurst come into being? I don’t remember it from the mid-sixties when I was a kid in Lesser Germania.

There used to be a bratty stand on the crossroads by Roberts Barracks in Osnabrück.
Bratwurst and mustard in a tiny bun on a long cardboard plate and a cone of crispy fries with mayo was a complete revelation to me as a kid. I was used to mystery bags, soggy buns and soggy chips.

Along with my juvenile delinquent friends we used to collect empty Coke/Fanta bottles around the swimming pool and convert the returns proceeds into wurst and fries on the walk back to Kleine Moscow.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't suppose that the world will stop turning, but should not Currywurst have Bratwurst as the principle ingredient, rather than Bockwurst?
My stomach hasn’t stopped turning!

When did currywurst come into being? I don’t remember it from the mid-sixties when I was a kid in Lesser Germania.

There used to be a bratty stand on the crossroads by Roberts Barracks in Osnabrück.
Bratwurst and mustard in a tiny bun on a long cardboard plate and a cone of crispy fries with mayo was a complete revelation to me as a kid. I was used to mystery bags, soggy buns and soggy chips.

Along with my juvenile delinquent friends we used to collect empty Coke/Fanta bottles around the swimming pool and convert the returns proceeds into wurst and fries on the walk back to Kleine Moscow.
I know it's Wiki but:- Currywurst - Wikipedia

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It should be Bratwurst but as this is designed to be microwaved then Bockwurst would look better, though Bratwurst is already cooked by poaching it looks fairly gopping until browned on a BBQ or frying pan.

The Bockwurst in the carton is also probably cheaper, to keep costs down.

I know it's Wiki but:- Currywurst - Wikipedia

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ta. Nothing wrong with Wiki. It’s mostly right (unless you are interested in Robbie Williams and associated sleb mongs).

I just have no recollection of currywurst circa 62-66.

I would probably have tried it as I liked both curry and bratwurst. I was fed ye olde style British curries by my parents. (Vencatachellum curry powder heaped into a stew of Sunday roast leftovers, the divided dish of apple, coconut, raisins etc -the horror, the horror). About as much relationship to Peru as India.

Lidl's doing a "Greek Week" starting from this coming Thursday.

Mythos Beer excellent, frozen Donner Kebab meat slightly less so.

The Berlin vendors usually offered both in the 80s - a favoured stand was outside the Zoo Garden station, and courtesy of Google Maps, I see it's still there.

Edit: so's the one on StuttiPlatz, but we won't go there.

Last edited: