Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Living in Germany i have used both Aldi and Lidl for over 3 decades. There services here seem to have improved dramatically over that time. So much so that middle classes that used to avoid them are the main customers and the scum now use other shops like netto etch.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Asda is usually full of the sort of people who shout at their own children in public and loudly calling them *****. I doubt anyone would notice.
Fair point, tends to be two huge monsters shoving trolleys and they're such wide loads they fill an aisle, essential diet coke with the pies and cakes and badly behaved kids.

So ... This thread hs declined into the "whining git oh why can't everyone just get out of my way at the till" thread then.

And there was I looking for gen on bargains ... No i don't want a Deltic... Or that rifle.... Well, maybe.

Asda is usually full of the sort of people who shout at their own children in public and loudly calling them *****. I doubt anyone would notice.
I hate ASDA but had to go in there recently as Lidl and Morrisons couldn't manage to get a delivery to the stores due to a bit of snow.

Heard exactly what you described, twice. The names of the low lives struck me more than the swearing, apparently both Bentley and Sapphire (different families not offspring of one set of parents with stupid taste in names) are little c**ts....looking at the state of the parents they were never going to be anything else.

All the same types go to ALDI as well here as you can walk there from ASDA.

Always preferred LIDL to ALDI produce wise and as a shop anyway but ALDI round here really does seem a the attract the dregs.

On the contrary their special offers which usually consist of the same products are usually within a week of each other.

The one notable difference with our local Lidl/Aldi is that Lidl have an instore bakery which means you can walk in and buy baked goods that are fresh from the oven whereas Aldi are prepacked and days old.
Here in the Fatherland Aldi has a machine which dispenses fresh baked goods, the pretzels are quite nice, and I will on occasion buy one and munch on it while it is still warm while shopping, turning in the empty wrapper with price sticker to pay for it at the till.

The Lidl bakeries are bakeries in name only aren't they... frozen par-bake simply finished off in store? Nothing wrong with that of course as the smell of fresh bread makes one 'hungry' and triggers impulse buying. Lidl's prepackaged bakery products will suffer the same logistical lag that Aldi have.

Lidl's Hatherwood beers are pretty good for the money too...
  • No 1 Golden Goose (3.8%), a golden ale
  • No 2 Green Gecko (5.0%), an IPA
  • No 3 Amber Adder (4.3%), an amber ale
  • No 4 Ruby Rooster (3.8%), a ruby ale
  • No 5 Purple Panther (5.0%), a porter
  • No 6 Ginger Grizzly (4.0%) a ginger beer, very nice chilled
You Puff their Bishops Finger 5.4% at £1:25. There is also a rumor that Pedigree is free ;)

Living in Germany i have used both Aldi and Lidl for over 3 decades. There services here seem to have improved dramatically over that time. So much so that middle classes that used to avoid them are the main customers and the scum now use other shops like netto etch.
Dann Gehe doch zum Netto... That ad really gets on my tits.

You Puff their Bishops Finger 5.4% at £1:25. There is also a rumor that Pedigree is free ;)
Free pedigree sounds good to me (as long as nobody nicks it) and just because bishops finger is good it doesn't mean the others aren't. Anything that isn't lager is good for me.

My dear mum is in hospital at the moment.
In order to go and visit I have to walk through Smithfields.
I had no idea that it is only four or five tube stops away.
The thing is that I am a late riser and the market is only open from 2 till ten.
I am going in the morning and if I am early enough I will pick up a nice piece of sirloin and some bacon.
Will let you know the outcome.

My nearest Lidl and Aldi are further away or take longer to get to.

Last edited:
What I do notice is that Aldi and Lidl rarely set up close to each other. In Brighton, Aldi is a short walk from Sainsbury's and Coop, Lidl a short walk from Asda. Aldi tends to be better for white meat (pork, chicken), Lidl for red meat. The trouble is that neither store has a complete range, so you have to visit both to get what you want then possibly to the big 4 for the odd item. Lidl is definitely better for wine and in France, both stores do a very good beer at 7.8% (not available in the UK).

What I do notice is that Aldi and Lidl rarely set up close to each other. In Brighton, Aldi is a short walk from Sainsbury's and Coop, Lidl a short walk from Asda. Aldi tends to be better for white meat (pork, chicken), Lidl for red meat. The trouble is that neither store has a complete range, so you have to visit both to get what you want then possibly to the big 4 for the odd item. Lidl is definitely better for wine and in France, both stores do a very good beer at 7.8% (not available in the UK).
In Boscombe, Lidl is in the Sovereign Centre. Aldi is over the road just outside the Sovereign Centre. Distance between the two? No more than 100 yards. Of the two I prefer Lidl as the staff and customers seem to be nicer, and you don't need to take a wicket keeper with you to pack.

Yes, because they will be absolutely desperate to lose market share to competitors. It's what all retail supermarket chains dream about.

Are you a remainer, by any chance?
That's not the point. Brexit looks like it is opening US up to be stuffed by trade from the rest of the world, like US foodstuffs, full of chemicals and tasting shite. And if the chains can get it cheaper than they can from Europe, they will likely stock it. Trade is rarely fair. Profit is the motivator.

And I voted to leave. But if I had a second referendum, I'd vote to stay, because all that will change is we will be £48bn poorer, have blue passports and will join the biggest fekking queue in the world if we pop over the channel to Calais.