Black Forest ham and other Lidl bargains.

Aldi and Lidl operate on a productivity process, thus allowing the reduction in prices. One massively differs from the other in the special range choice and size.

On Brexit over 90% of fruit, veg, meat etc is sourced from the U.K.

Remember folks both of these discounters are rammed 5 days out of 7, those that pack at the tills irritate the others in the que, not the till operator.

They run on 5 staff till midday, then swap shifts till 10, might be additional coverage on the shop floor but most stores have 6-8 tills.

So my sister says
The nights must just fly in...

Aldi and Lidl operate on a productivity process, thus allowing the reduction in prices. One massively differs from the other in the special range choice and size.
On the contrary their special offers which usually consist of the same products are usually within a week of each other.

The one notable difference with our local Lidl/Aldi is that Lidl have an instore bakery which means you can walk in and buy baked goods that are fresh from the oven whereas Aldi are prepacked and days old.

On the contrary their special offers which usually consist of the same products are usually within a week of each other.

The one notable difference with our local Lidl/Aldi is that Lidl have an instore bakery which means you can walk in and buy baked goods that are fresh from the oven whereas Aldi are prepacked and days old.
The Lidl bakeries are bakeries in name only aren't they... frozen par-bake simply finished off in store? Nothing wrong with that of course as the smell of fresh bread makes one 'hungry' and triggers impulse buying. Lidl's prepackaged bakery products will suffer the same logistical lag that Aldi have.

Lidl's Hatherwood beers are pretty good for the money too...
  • No 1 Golden Goose (3.8%), a golden ale
  • No 2 Green Gecko (5.0%), an IPA
  • No 3 Amber Adder (4.3%), an amber ale
  • No 4 Ruby Rooster (3.8%), a ruby ale
  • No 5 Purple Panther (5.0%), a porter
  • No 6 Ginger Grizzly (4.0%) a ginger beer, very nice chilled

I find i used to go to Aldi all the time and no i rarely bother . The quality of the veg really annoys me . I would gladly pay 5-10p more on certain items and have it actually last a few days . I often see stuff thats rotten already on the shelves , particulary the 6 veg/fruit on offer.

Its the little things as well like having to que for ages at the checkout and it being crammed full of idiots most of the time as well .

Not sure how long they will be around in Oxfordshire seen as they keep getting ram raided by certain elements of society on a regular basis !

I find i used to go to Aldi all the time and no i rarely bother . The quality of the veg really annoys me . I would gladly pay 5-10p more on certain items and have it actually last a few days . I often see stuff thats rotten already on the shelves , particulary the 6 veg/fruit on offer.

Its the little things as well like having to que for ages at the checkout and it being crammed full of idiots most of the time as well .

Not sure how long they will be around in Oxfordshire seen as they keep getting ram raided by certain elements of society on a regular basis !
That'll be the Dids bringing the stuff back then.

After being ripped off for Gillette (and other brands) razor blades (3 or 4 quid a bloody blade) I got a Lidl Shark razor and blades. Razor was €4 and a pack of blades €4.99 for 4 so about €1.25 a blade.
They are a 5 blade cartridge that fits on quite easily.
Gave a very good shave for a lot less than the GIllette ones. However, one problem. They have a "trimming" blade (for sideburns, moustaches etc) but it sticks out the top of the blade. Shaving up to the ear and almost cut my earlobe off. Lord knows who designed this thing (probably a woman) but the thing is sodding well dangerous.
I've stuck some masking tape over the protruding bit for use in the future but doubt I'll be buying refills.
Those razors and blades are exactly the same as the dollar shave club and harry's razors at twice the price. You can pop the trimming blade out easily with any small appropriate lever.

In our Lidl there are five tills and they open and close dependent upon the number of people in the queue. Even on a busy day there are never more then three people in the queue at any one time. The cashiers are swift and there's no place to put the items once they've been scanned other than in a bag or in a cart. That prevents the idiots standing watching and doing nothing while the articles are scanned and then going hunting in their purses for the right amount of copper. Take too long and it ends up on the floor.

Last edited:

exbleep

On ROPS
On ROPs
In our Lidl there are five tills and they open and close dependent upon the number of people in the queue. Even on a busy day there are never more then three people in the queue at any one time. The cashiers are swift and there's no place to put the items once they've been scanned other than in a bag or in a cart. That prevents the idiots standing watching and doing nothing while the articles are scanned and then going hunting in their courses for the right amount of copper. Take too long and it ends up on the floor.
In our Lidl a while back, it came over the tannoy "We are now closing till 6".
Several of the Lidl shoppers complained on the local town social media site asking why Lidl was closing until 6 o'clock.
Sounds like we have some experienced Walmart shoppers.

I think Lidl has the edge. I have seen in Aldi blown packs of green beef that shouldn’t be for sale and never seen that in Lidl.
Aldi (in the UK) started off on the right foot, but they have become very dull and unadventurous. Their policy seems now to be 'just stick to the basics' and 'don't stock anything that might startle a housewife coming from a council estate'. It probably works from a bean-counter's perspective, but there must be other people like me who now give them a swerve in favour of Lidl.

Packing at the till if you have a trolley full of items should be a capital offence.

As should using coupons to pay.

As should the inability to place hard covered items/jars/tins/bottles on the loading belt first then ending up with the most crushable at the end as an aid to efficient packing after payment - 'snot difficult.

You shopping goons are mental...let the wife do it.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
As should using coupons to pay.

As should the inability to place hard covered items/jars/tins/bottles on the loading belt first then ending up with the most crushable at the end as an aid to efficient packing after payment - 'snot difficult.
Coupons and cards are just a scam, all goes on the price. Lidl isn't full of coffin dodgers, can be in and out in ten-fifthteen mins.

It's a tanning salon, not a bakery. That said it's nice to get freshly finished off bread etc.